Page 260 of 267 FirstFirst ... 160210250255256257258259260261262263264265 ... LastLast
Results 3,886 to 3,900 of 4005

Thread: The Cheat-Out: Save states are for champs.

Thanks
    EP Points

Message from one of my old teachers in Japan: "Hey! I'm going to be in Dublin from next month! It's my first time in Britain and Scotland. Is Dublin in the same area of Scotland as Edinburgh? Would we be able to meet up?" :'D Oh dear. I'm happy that she remembers me, but my god it amazes me how poor some people's knowledge of basic world geography is. :'D She introduced me multiple times to other exchange students as being "from England" too, but I always cut her some slack because I figured she was just confused about the composition of the UK, which isn't always immediately obvious to people from outside Western Europe (it also doesn't help that the Japanese word for "Britain" can mean both "Britain" and more specifically "England"). But Dublin? That's not even in any of the union countries, nevermind Scotland. :'D To make matters worse, she was head of the English language club at my university there, so you would expect her to have at least a cursory knowledge of the geographical locations where English is spoken as a first language. Astounding. Wonder how she would respond if I were to write and say, "Hey! I'd love to meet you, but unfortunately I'll be in Seoul at that time. It'll be nice to be back in Japan, though! By the way, is Seoul in the same region of Japan as Okayama, or is it further north?" Too snarky, maybe?
    Last edited by Elin; 31st-July-2015 at 16:37.

Thanks
    EP Points

Even I know Seoul is Korea.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elin View Post
    Message from one of my old teachers in Japan: "Hey! I'm going to be in Dublin from next month! It's my first time in Britain and Scotland. Is Dublin in the same area of Scotland as Edinburgh? Would we be able to meet up?" :'D Oh dear. I'm happy that she remembers me, but my god it amazes me how poor some people's knowledge of basic world geography is. :'D She introduced me multiple times to other exchange students as being "from England" too, but I always cut her some slack because I figured she was just confused about the composition of the UK, which isn't always immediately obvious to people from outside Western Europe (it also doesn't help that the Japanese word for "Britain" can mean both "Britain" and more specifically "England"). But Dublin? That's not even in any of the union countries, nevermind Scotland. :'D To make matters worse, she was head of the English language club at my university there, so you would expect her to have at least a cursory knowledge of the geographical locations where English is spoken as a first language. Astounding. Wonder how she would respond if I were to write and say, "Hey! I'd love to meet you, but unfortunately I'll be in Seoul at that time. It'll be nice to be back in Japan, though! By the way, is Seoul in the same region of Japan as Okayama, or is it further north?" Too snarky, maybe?
    Read the first line and thought it's all downhill from here.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    Even I know Seoul is Korea.
    So I can't fool you into buying a ticket to Pyongyang by telling you it's the capital of South Korea rather than North, then? Blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Tassadar View Post
    Read the first line and thought it's all downhill from here.
    No trip to Dublin ever ends well?

Thanks
    EP Points

Not when you go there thinking it's part of the UK, she's in for a bad time if she goes to the wrong places.

Thanks
    EP Points

Actually, I'm teaching English to a refugee from North Korea as a part-time job at the moment, which is pretty surreal. He worked at my partner's Korean restaurant as a waiter and mentioned to her that he was looking for someone to help him with his English. And since I'm studying Korean too she put us in touch, figuring it'd help us both. We don't say a lot about his past because he obviously doesn't want to talk too much about it, but I sometimes have to fight the urge to ask because it's so rare that you actually meet a real person from that part of the world.

Thanks
    EP Points

Not when you go there thinking it's part of the UK, she's in for a bad time if she goes to the wrong places.
    Probably about the same experience you'd get walking around certain bad neighbourhoods here and referring to the country as England, really. :'D

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Grouch View Post
    so 1 month has passed and I haven't sold a damn thing on CL hell I haven't gotten a response that wasn't just a troll
    Sounds about right.

Thanks
    EP Points

Actually, I'm teaching English to a refugee from North Korea as a part-time job at the moment, which is pretty surreal. He worked at my partner's Korean restaurant as a waiter and mentioned to her that he was looking for someone to help him with his English. And since I'm studying Korean too she put us in touch, figuring it'd help us both. We don't say a lot about his past because he obviously doesn't want to talk too much about it, but I sometimes have to fight the urge to ask because it's so rare that you actually meet a real person from that part of the world.
    The fact that they don't want to talk about it makes even more intriguing.

Thanks
    EP Points

Message from one of my old teachers in Japan: "Hey! I'm going to be in Dublin from next month! It's my first time in Britain and Scotland. Is Dublin in the same area of Scotland as Edinburgh?
    I spent some time in North America recently. The amount of people who think that Ireland and the UK are both on situated on the same island is something else. I had someone ask me if I drive to France often and they knew full well that I don't live in England. The Channel Tunnel does exist but seriously

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Played this back in the day because the team was headed by Ted Woolsey, and I really liked his localisations of Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI. I liked the dialogue, but so wish it had been married to a better game. Personally thought Anachronox on the PC was a much better example of a Western-developed Japanese-styled RPG.
    Really now? never knew Woolsey did Shadow Madness , games not that bad if you have a open mind, hell the dialog is enough to make ya want to play it because its funny.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by kirov View Post
    I spent some time in North America recently. The amount of people who think that Ireland and the UK are both on situated on the same island is something else. I had someone ask me if I drive to France often and they knew full well that I don't live in England. The Channel Tunnel does exist but seriously
    I've corrected a few Americans on this, thinking that the Republic of Ireland is part of the U.K., it never offends me but it is just plain wrong, it's like saying Toronto is in the US.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I've corrected a few Americans on this, thinking that the Republic of Ireland is part of the U.K., it never offends me but it is just plain wrong, it's like saying Toronto is in the US.
    Its so hard for them to research and check a map eh?

I honestly am pissed that the UK has a part of ireland, want the bastards out of there!
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah, ditto. I never got particularly offended when people called me English, but I always corrected them because it's just objectively wrong. I have nothing against England as a country (I'd say "some of my best friends are English", but that's basically a closet racist's calling card~ ) and have no problem calling myself British, but I've probably spent about two weeks of my life total in England and have next to no ties to the place. Heck I have far stronger ties to Sweden (blood) and Japan (time spent there / linguistic identity / Japanese friends and family) than I do to England, and I certainly would never call myself Swedish or Japanese. :'D I also always felt it was important to correct people because I know that there are plenty of people here in Scotland who would be offended at Scotland being confused for England, and it's better that people are politely corrected on the difference by me than finding themselves in trouble with someone who cares a whole lot more.
    Last edited by Elin; 31st-July-2015 at 18:31.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Phineas Squiggletail, Esq View Post
    Sounds about right.
    I've seen people trying to sell the same thing for well over a year on there. it's become a very long and slow process trying to sell anything on that site anymore
    thumperbunnyeve~If Purchase does not entail ownership, then sharing shouldn't mean piracy.
    help the socially disabled https://gofund.me/3234a082
    my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDs...gHZ_f8tjf8jW4w