Thread: Trying to patch Phantasy Star II v1.2 with the Modernization 3.0 hack

Thanks

Default Trying to patch Phantasy Star II v1.2 with the Modernization 3.0 hack

Hi all,
    So I've downloaded the recommended v1.2 rom to use with this patch but it won't work correctly and even the author couldn't help so I now turn to you guys. Has anyone else got it to work using the rom on this site recently? Is there another site with the v1.2 rom out there (because I couldn't find one anywhere else)?

Thanks.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Unmodified ROM CRC32: D6C0A6B9 according to Romhacking.net but I don't know of a dump of that game that has that CRC

Checked both no-intro and goodgen sets possibly another set though has this dump

Our roms from the main site are from the no-intro dump and we also have a full goodgen set download though pointless as that set does not have the rom you need either

This may of been hacked from a private dump of the game that was not dumped the same as the sets have, there is also no mention of the device used for the original dump that is important as there are 3 main methods that would result in different CRC values, already tried converting though and the results do not give that CRC value for the game

EDIT: oops the format is bin that our rom is though renamed to .md, but that does not change the crc value as the file name has nothing to do with that, so still can't find the correct dump of the rom needed (goodgen is also bin format but again they renamed the extension to gen, but it is still bin format) the format is internal of the file not the actual file name, it's the same with disc images you can take a cue plus bin file rename the bin file to whatever you like it will still be a bin file, if it just has data you can tell the software reading it to look at all files choose the renamed bin file and it will run as a bin CD image file or just edit the cue file to look for the newly named file that works with disc with cdda aswell that need a cue anyway

There is also a tosec set that I have not looked at yet
    Last edited by Zorlon; 14th-June-2015 at 07:51.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Thanks for the info. You're saying it is in the no-intro set but it seems to have a different name there (at least over at the iso zone)?

Which program lets me check these values in a rom file: "CRC32: D6C0A6B9"?

Here's my conversation with the author from yesterday, on YT:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lWNrc1hv5o
    "let me ask another question; I've downloaded and applied your patch to a 1.2 rom (after converting it to .bin using SBwin), then fixchecksum'd it, but it doesn't seem to apply correctly. I don't get more exp/gold, daggers are still available and so on, but the text does change. Any ideas on what I could've done wrong?

Edit: rom is from emuparadise, emulators I've tried are regen and gens.

fedorajoe 17 hours ago
    +Alianger That is really strange. My first thought is, it must be a somehow modified ROM where the CRC32 value doesn't match. My only advice is to find another version of the 1.2 ROM (in case yours was mislabeled or modified) and try again. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but this bug report is a new one for me."

I can add that I used Lunar IPS but it's worked well for me thus far.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nope I said it is not in the no-intro or the goodgen set
    also checked the tosec set there is no Phantasy Star II rom that has the CRC value required in any of those sets

7-zip shows the crc value if you have the roms compressed just open the archive with 7-zip it will tell you the CRC P.S. none of those need converting they are all in bin format to start with
    Last edited by Zorlon; 14th-June-2015 at 17:05.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Right, I was confused since you also said that the roms on here are from the no-intro set.

"P.S. none of those need converting they are all in bin format to start with"

Sure, didn't know it when I did that, but you do still need to change the file name from .md to .bin for the checksum fixer program to be able to open the file.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

correct, but you dont need to use the checksum fixer as I am sure you know they report as ok anyway

only after patching is when you may need to do a checksum fix but as it is, knowing that is not going to help unless you can find the correct source file, that I had looked for but couldn't find
    Last edited by Zorlon; 15th-June-2015 at 07:32.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]