Thread: Is it possible to play Atari's 1972 Pong on MAME?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Is it possible to play Atari's 1972 Pong on MAME?

I wanted to know if it's possible to play pong on MAME, tell me, is it?

Thanks
    EP Points

No. Not the real arcade PONG. Not on MAME. I have a version of it that will run on Windows, but not on my version. You need an older version or a PONG specific emulator. The closest to the real deal (the first two Bushnell Atari games) would probably be something like the PONG and Computer Space ports by Collectorvision for the Colecovision. If you buy the carts you get a code for the ROMs. I don't know if the carts are even still available, and I've yet to find the ROMs in the wild. The Collectorvision PONG/Computer Space box set is a thing of grandeur.

Thanks
    EP Points

You can play pong using DICE. Also this website lists the arcade games that can't be played with MAME but have specific emulators that do run them, so take a look.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

I having trouble, because it's keep stopped responding when I go on a game. What am I doing wrong?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You need to make sure the rom is correct or try the x86 version of Dice instead of the x64 version or maybe even an older version of DICE

A 64 bit OS can run both 64 bit and 32 bit programs

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dice...CE/DICE%200.9/ has both x86 (32 bit version) and x64 (64 bit version)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/dice/files/DICE/ choose an older version

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

You can type in mame pong, or mame pongf, then you'll discover for yourself that it is there.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Pug View Post
    You can type in mame pong, or mame pongf, then you'll discover for yourself that it is there.
    Sadly not playable as already stated

Mame has lots of games that are there but that is not to say they are playable

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

What is your definition of playable? It runs 180% here. Maybe you need a faster computer?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Speed has little to do with it, it is not correctly emulated

"The driver for 'Pong' was pretty much an ad-hoc attempt at simulating the circuitry of the original machine, and it wasn't following any tracable path from the original circuitry to the driver (in other words, the writer 'played it by ear,' so to speak). The 'pseudo-CPU' used for timing purposes was a kludge, also. Because MAME's mission is accuracy, and since the Pong driver wasn't sufficiently accurate, the driver was dropped. I've been informed that, should one actually attempt to properly simulate the circuitry (like using the video clock as a timebase), then it would be accurate enough for inclusion in MAME. However, simulation of discrete circuitry involves a jump of thinking over regular emulation programming (involving as it does the simulation of electric components normally overlooked in regular emulation--diodes, transistors, etc.--as well as the emulation of any ICs that may still be present.), and we don't know of anyone who has made such a faithful attempt yet."
    I know the driver is still in there, even though it was dropped, another words not worked on.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 7th-June-2015 at 08:34.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

well, that info is quite a few years out of date...

MAME had a pong simulation, but it was later removed. It then became part of MisfitMAME.

However in the last year or 2, a new Pong was written that faithfully follows the transistors, diodes etc. That is what's in MAME now.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ah yes you are indeed correct thanks for the info I totally forgot they managed this, not going to check exact dates/MAME versions but do remember reading about this, never got round to playing it though, yeah it possibly was about 2 years back, I personally don't check up on MAME that often now

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]