Thread: Final Fantasy Tactics [NTSC-U]

Thanks

Default Final Fantasy Tactics [NTSC-U]

I am playing FFT on ePSXe 1.9.25. The game plays fine. But I can't buy items from the store or learn new abilities. Am I neglecting to do something? I downloaded the ISO from EP. My video is nvidia GTX 660. I tried both the plugins provided with ePSXe which were Pete's OpenGL2 2.9 and PEOpS Soft Driver 1.18 and they do the same thing.
    Last edited by Phlebotomy; 24th-May-2015 at 14:25.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

How can't you do this?

Can you not select certain thing yet or can you select them but for some reason it does not let you

A little more detail please

P.S. I can't see it being a graphics issue or a sound issue or even an issue with your PC

I was thinking that maybe you had analog setup instead of digital for the pad but then again you said the rest of game seems to play fine

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    How can't you do this?

Can you not select certain thing yet or can you select them but for some reason it does not let you

A little more detail please

P.S. I can't see it being a graphics issue or a sound issue or even an issue with your PC

I was thinking that maybe you had analog setup instead of digital for the pad but then again you said the rest of game seems to play fine
    While browsing the Shop in FFT on ePSXe 1.925 I simply could not buy any items, even though I had plenty of gil to spend. In Formation I could not navigate to the Learn menu in Abilities.

I tried an older version of ePSXe (1.52) and I could buy items and Learn abilities again.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Then it is just an issue with that version of ePSXe rather than settings if the setup is done the same anyway

Moving from 1.6.0 to .1.7.0 the ePSXe core code was totally re-written so if the game does not run correctly in 1.7.0 it is likely that the core change has killed off that game, though still worth trying the last version 1.9.0, that you should not have to setup as you already setup 1.9.25, also note the .25 that kind of hints that it is not a final release, though it claims to fix a lot of things this may of also broke some games

P.S. you can install all versions of ePSXe to the same folder just rename the main exe and copy it over, all 1.6.0 and under will use the same settings and every version from 1.7.0 and up over will also share setups

I never had much interest in the game myself as I like to be able to play out a story myself rather than being told it so most the strategy games I have played let you wonder round like an RPG between battles rather than doing a battle buying stuff then get told the story with the only real option of pressing X to continue text, games like Shining Force are more like the sort of games I like to play, they just don't seem to make them like that now...

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Then it is just an issue with that version of ePSXe rather than settings if the setup is done the same anyway

Moving from 1.6.0 to .1.7.0 the ePSXe core code was totally re-written so if the game does not run correctly in 1.7.0 it is likely that the core change has killed off that game, though still worth trying the last version 1.9.0, that you should not have to setup as you already setup 1.9.25, also note the .25 that kind of hints that it is not a final release, though it claims to fix a lot of things this may of also broke some games

P.S. you can install all versions of ePSXe to the same folder just rename the main exe and copy it over, all 1.6.0 and under will use the same settings and every version from 1.7.0 and up over will also share setups

I never had much interest in the game myself as I like to be able to play out a story myself rather than being told it so most the strategy games I have played let you wonder round like an RPG between battles rather than doing a battle buying stuff then get told the story with the only real option of pressing X to continue text, games like Shining Force are more like the sort of games I like to play, they just don't seem to make them like that now...

Although it is off topic, if you are looking for that kind of strategy game experience, you should try Shadowrun Returns. There are 2 more Shadowrun games out with more on the way.

Thanks
    EP Points

The modern Shadowruns suck in my opinion and has nothing to do with FFT in any way. They are totally different. And remember, the new Shadowruns are very very very short, like as you playing a demo or something. Play the original one on SNES and feel the real Shadowrun game. ^^ But still, it's almost junk compared to FFT, equal which Shadowrun you take.

Better try some FFT hacks,

- Final Fantasy Tactics (U) - 1.3 [Hack1.3.0.6Easy_Archael]
    - Final Fantasy Tactics (U) - Complete [Hack0.50_Cheetah]
    - Final Fantasy Tactics (U) - Kind Of [Hack2.5_Eternal]
    - Final Fantasy Tactics (U) - Rebirth [HackMKII_Nexus-Studios.org]

Or FFT+ (Plus) or Journey of the Five Ch.1.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by messiahgov View Post
    The modern Shadowruns suck in my opinion and has nothing to do with FFT in any way. They are totally different. And remember, the new Shadowruns are very very very short, like as you playing a demo or something. Play the original one on SNES and feel the real Shadowrun game. ^^ But still, it's almost junk compared to FFT, equal which Shadowrun you take.

Better try some FFT hacks,

- Final Fantasy Tactics (U) - 1.3 [Hack1.3.0.6Easy_Archael]
    - Final Fantasy Tactics (U) - Complete [Hack0.50_Cheetah]
    - Final Fantasy Tactics (U) - Kind Of [Hack2.5_Eternal]
    - Final Fantasy Tactics (U) - Rebirth [HackMKII_Nexus-Studios.org]

Or FFT+ (Plus) or Journey of the Five Ch.1.
    No it doesn't have anything to do with FFT. Unlike FFT where ultimately your only option to progress the story is press X, you play out the Shadowrun stories yourself and wander around and talk to NPCs between fights. Each Run can change a lot depending on your character's skills. I would say you spend as much, if not more time reading expository and investigating the map as you do fighting. To me, it fits the sort of story driven strategy RPG Zorlon was describing.

I agree that the games are short but never once did I compare it to playing a demo. Also, the content is released much more frequently. I would argue that playing all 3 games back to back would take about as much time as FFT campaign. I never played Shadowrun on SNES so maybe I do not properly understand why it *sucks*. Thanks for the links.

Thanks
    EP Points

I played Returns and Dragonfall DC and was shocked how short they were and how much money they want on Kickstarter for the next Shadowrun. They were straight linear (no "wandering around" lol, no), with just pressing "X" (only option to progress) and a few tactical battles, all time in a very restricted area. You can't walk freely in the city or anything, no. Only in missions and on the current, very limited map. In FFT your hub is "Formation" or all the towns with all the quests. The new Shadowrun games are basically hub+missions in turns. FFT felt way more complex, more open, longer and deeper in story, even if it's also linear, but not as limited as Shadowrun, also on SNES. Just because you have some multiple choice options, doesn't makes the game overall good. A short playtime + trimmed environment for a game with RPG elements is a killer for me. The game doesn't even have the freedom of movement as the SNES release. Those Shadowruns are not bad or anything, play them, but don't buy them. =P

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The reason I hated SNES Shadowrun: Running through the entire world looking for an object that's 2x2 pixels that you need to advance the story, knowing you are just going to have to do it again 2 or 3 missions later.

Shadowruns Returns feels a lot more like PnP shadowrun because there are so many more skills and they tie in to your attributes. SR Returns seemed very short, which made it fast paced and fun. Dragonfall took a lot longer, and item availability seemed to come a lot later. It was a lot more challenging and put more emphasis on cover, enemy grenades, and tactical status effects like Flush from cover, or unbalance/mark to make targets easier to hit. And it highlights that Shadowrun Returns is specifically and emphatically made for modding and telling your own Shadowrun stories. Since SR3 isn't released yet, I can't comment on that.

There's also a mod for Dragonfall called Shadowrun Unlimited that makes it a lot more like the genesis Shadowrun, taking random odd jobs to advance your character. I'm not sure if there is a main story yet, but the description says that there is a global Matrix and you could stumble into Renraku at low level and get your brain fried. Sounds fun.
    Last edited by skullpoker; 7th-June-2015 at 08:00.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to skullpoker For This Useful Post: