Thread: backing up dreamcast cd-r to cd with discjuggler

Thanks
    EP Points

Default backing up dreamcast cd-r to cd with discjuggler

hello!, it's been years since the last time I posted on this forum!. wow.
    anyway, I have a quick question: what settings should I use to create a proper cdi image of a dreamcast cd?. (it's a backup cd-r, it would be easier to just download an already made cdi to have a backup of it on my computer but I can't find it anywhere, so I'll create an image myself).

I'm using discjuggler 6.
    should I check "raw" or any of the weird options like ISRC, scan gap or pq? (I don't know what those are).
    I assume overburn should be checked just in case, but I'm not sure about the other stuff.

this is the options screen:
    nothing

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Best just to re-download instead to be honest to ensure there are no issues at all, most that would do this would be more because said CD has stopped working and a re-burn would fix it but if the dreamcast has issues the same can be said of a backup from that disc most the time

DJ is still the best format but for burning I would go for ImgBurn now over DJ

Overburn & Read set to the lowest possible speed is all you need to be enabled verify is just a bonus, but the only reason I would use DJ is just to convert image types rather than backing up already burned CD-R's

What game are we talking about anyway I do have most of them myself backed up on an external HDD

Note I will be away for a wk by tonight so may not be able to upload that until I get back

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

this one is the REVIVEDC release of vampire chronicle, in fact while doing the massive dreamcast backup these days I found out the isozone is having problems with cloudstore, so some of the REVIVEDC releases are down.
    I got most of them but I'm missing a few to complete my backup. I already got the DCRES stuff, most of REVIVEDC, a few ECHELON or DCP for games that have no other releases and so on, but I want to have the REVIVEDC ones too as an alternative and because some of their stuff is supposed to be better than DCRES or ECHELON.

Maybe I'll just wait till the files are back online... it's frustrating because I have the cds, "if this was ps1 I could do it myself".
    nothing

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Normal or 99min version I have both

The team is dead don't expect them to come back any time soon

Like I said I have most releases anyway though

ReviveDC and DCCM are two of the newer groups that done better releases I also done a few myself that neither group done to fill in a few gaps

DCRes done mostly good rips as did DCP (mostly PAL) but older ones like Echelon and Kalisto are not so good partly due to early days and unknown sorts and party due to the type of groups they had been using cracktro's as part of there releases, saying that though without the likes of Echelon and Kalisto there would still be a few games that did not get cracked in the first a number of games though have been re-done still use the hacks that Echelon used to bypass protection and still use there Mil-CD (aka selfbooting methods, though more modern tools have been made since then, but still based on Echelon)

Everything since RDC and DCCM have had good sorts or custom sorts that help or totally fix read issues or improve on lowering the CD read noise (the CD drive noise can not be eradicated though but can be lowered)
    Another words make heavy files be read smoother by adding dummy data to push the game files to the outer edge of the CD (if there is any space left for dummy data) and making the bigger files be the last files on the disc usually FMV if the original sort does not already have those there <- that method works for all consoles not just Dreamcast

EDIT, the Standard version by RDC is in the code box

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-May-2015 at 20:38.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I use echelon or kalisto only when there's no other release, I noticed the dreamcast has to work harder, that can't be good for the laser. dcres and revivedc are my favorite choice.

I use 80min rips because I can't find 99min cds here, I asked everywhere, every store, and it's complicated to buy online and import stuff, so I have 80min cds only.

by the way, I've been doing some tests making isos and comparing them with downloaded CDIs and I got the same file size using just "overburn" with everything else unchecked.
    if I check scan gap or raw the resulting iso is different than the original one.
    I'm not 100% sure but if the file size of my iso is the same as the original release the content shouldn't be corrupted, right?.
    nothing

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

see my edit

the file size will not change even if all the files are corrupt, unless some sectors are totally unreadable but corrupt data vs non corrupt data should be the same size it's the contents of the data that changes not the size a scratch or smudge can cause corrupt data but it will just be read as 0000's or FFFF's in hex or just a random mix in the middle of it

check via the crc value instead with any crc checking software or one of those sfv progs like quicksfv for example
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-May-2015 at 20:44.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

thanks a lot, getting it right now!.

edit: I'll do some more tests, I'll make an iso of a game I have the original downloaded cdi, I'll compare with quicksfv then I'll burn it to test on a real console, booting, checking the cd audio, the fmvs, I might as well play a whole game from start to finish.

quick update on the tests (just in case the information is useful):
    nope, the sfv check result is not good, neither normal or raw reads produced an iso that passed the check, so the idea "I'll do backups of my cds" is discarded. I'll have to stick to downloaded CDIs.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-May-2015 at 12:39.
    nothing