Thread: Mecha fan wants to know good games featuring GIANT JAPANESE ROBOTS. (i.e. Virtual-ON)

Thanks

Default Mecha fan wants to know good games featuring GIANT JAPANESE ROBOTS. (i.e. Virtual-ON)

Yo guys and girls. I'm basically bouncing off the walls right now. I've been playing Phantasy Star Online 2 on my Vita, and holy crap, this game is amazing. Now, I love this game to bits, but I also downloaded demos of Damascus Gear and Assault Gunners just to try them out, and I actually haven't touched them yet.

What keeps blasting around in my head like a hurricane is this: I LOVE VIRTUAL-ON. Virtual-ON is my favorite fighting game series ever. I love portable gaming. I need to know how to satiate the desire to be a huge robot and run around at high speeds fighting other giant robots.

If I had my way, there would be a Virtual-ON game for Vita, because we all know the system could run it and it would be amazing (a 3DS release would also be absolutely welcome), buuuuut, no. There aren't very many rabid giant robot fans out there, and honestly, I'm kinda lost as to where I should turn for a good 3D robot game.

Here's some stuff you should know before answering my question of "What game is there for me to play, be it in Japanese or English, that is reminiscent of Virtual-ON in terms of design and gameplay?"

1) I LOATHE Neon Genesis Evangelion. The characters (with the exception of Kaworu) never develop, I dislike the music (yeah, I know, I'm weird), the designs of the EVA units are ...okay, but the biological nature of them squicks me a bit (especially the Oni version of the one Asuka pilots in the 3.33 movie), and the entire series ALWAYS leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. I've watched everything there is to watch in the series' main installments, including the movies, and as well-done and polished as they are in terms of technical prowess, their storytelling nauseates me. Judge me if you want, but just know that I probably won't want to play an EVA game unless it's EXCEPTIONALLY good, like Battle Orchestra (which I'm limited to the portable version of, which means I won't play it because the PSP port is laggy, buggy, and complete GARBAGE to actually play despite being Smash Bros with health bars.)

2) I am primarily a portable gamer, as previously mentioned. I own several consoles, but they're unusable right now as I don't currently own a TV. (moved recently)

3) I love Gundam, but sometimes it just gets boring to me. Not sure why. Build Fighters is something I'd pay a lot of money for to own in game form though.

4) Eureka Seven was a blissful anime to watch. (Haven't seen AO/Astral Ocean yet) Weird, right? I hate Evangelion, yet love Eureka Seven? What's the difference? Oh. That's right. CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. The characters all become the heroes they set out to be, rather than constantly resetting to NEET status and purposefully making themselves into mental wrecks without the help of any ENJERU psychic attacks. Did I mention that I hate Evangelion? XD

5) I've never played Front Mission except on Wonderswan for about 20 minutes, nor have I played any of the Armored Core games, unless there was one on windows in the late 90s to early 2000s, in which case I might have played it. Faselei! on Neo Geo Pocket was pretty cool, but kinda slow. Xenogears is one of my favorite games, though I'm not done with it.

6)This final note is important: the type of games I'm hoping to hear about will be based heavily on fast-paced action, preferably not too heavy on shooting, since I get bored with just firing at moving objects. I like being a moving object, able to fight against another moving object melee-style. Thank my Sonic-heavy childhood for that one. 3D air combat based around a platforming engine is like the icing on the cake, and that is of course directly related to my experiences with Virtual-ON.

Okay, thanks for reading my huge list of stuff about what I'm looking for in a game! If any of you have recommendations for PSP (including PSOne/"PSX"/emulation on PSP), PS Vita, 3DS (NTSC-U, since I can't hack my 3DS), I'd appreciate them very much! Other system console games are appreciated as well, since I'd like to be able to have a vast mental library of stuff like this for later entertainment, but my primary thing is portable gaming.
    Last edited by jomon; 11th-May-2015 at 23:42. Reason: forgot to mention I haven't seen Eureka Seven AO

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I wasn't going to mention it because it may not be exactly the kind of game you're asking for, but after reading the last bit where you stated "Other system console games are appreciated as well" I thought it wouldn't hurt

Metal Wolf Chaos. It's an original Xbox exclusive with only a Japanese release, a translation patch exists but it's very playable without it anyway.
    It's a rather crazy game. You can't emulate it though, you need a real console.

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...f-Chaos-NTSC-J

Watch some vids and read up about it if you haven't heard of it. If you know about it then just ignore this totally

Spoiler warning:

3. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

PSP has Armored Core, you are able to play some of those online via PPSSPP, looks great too.

If you mean any games containing Mecha give Xenogears a try, pretty damn excellent even though it was rushed halfway against the creators wishes due to the pricks at square.

I am pretty big Mech fan myself and il try to remember some more excellent Mech games to mention.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

While it's not fast-paced, Any Super Robot Wars games. Massive crossover of tons of mecha series that anyone should play. All the games except for the original Gen eration games for GBA are Japan only, but several have translation patches you can use

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nemkoon For This Useful Post:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Transformers, no idea what the PSP versions are like, but played a couple of the modern ones on other consoles and seemed fun especially the mission based versions DS versions are fun, just a game that is outside the box of the usual Mech games, kind of felt like a Grand Theft Auto game with Transformers picking up missing in a free roam environment

Problem is those games are different on each platform so a bit of a gamble so what I have described may not be true on the PSP

Armored Core PSX and PSP versions, both playable on a PSP

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/list-124 has a nice list mostly Mech games for PSX
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/list-124 same for PSP
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/list-124 DS
    Last edited by Zorlon; 15th-May-2015 at 08:28.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

with cool robots? metal storm for the nes is pretty awesome. it doesn't have gundam/tf style robots but its solid and has some cool mechanics for such an old game

11. The Following User Says Thank You to maverickhuntergirlZ492 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hey guys, thanks so much for the responses! I'm sorry I'm so late replying here, I've just been a bit busy.

I think I might try the Robot Damashii PSP game, now that I've had a chance to search a bit.

I actually started playing some Tales games again, and that satiated my desire for quick combat games, haha.

I've just finished Rockman DASH 2 on my PSP as well, and now I'd like to try playing it with the english voices, though I think that might be somewhat difficult given how poorly that game seems to run on 6.60 PRO B10, and I just got a Go, which is what I've been testing out over my 3000.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if people have gotten Megaman Legends 2 to run properly on something that isn't a permanent hack?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The PSX version I take it

Just create a New thread in Everything Console under Sony

I will help you there if no one else does

Also your firmware is a little out of date but still would not go for the latest as they broke the Official PSone classics compat

Pro C with fix 3 applied is the best version Pro C-2 is what broke PSone Classics

POPSLoader is likely needed as a lot of PSX2PSP converts need it, I know this game did not get a PSone Classics version

P.S. that game just works without needing popsloader, unless I have had it on my PSP in the past, so when you do make that new thread explain how it does not work

Not that I will be around to help for a little while anyway but if it's still unanswered or you have not got it working I will help when I get back
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-May-2015 at 17:08.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR