Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with setting up DS/3DS Card

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Help with setting up DS/3DS Card

O.K. so I bought this adapter card and it finally arrived (R4i Gold).
    Downloaded the latest wood firmware (1.62 version).

Here is my folder setup on the micro SD card:

...but when I put the micro SD card in the original DS or the 3DS I can't get anything to appear once I start the game like normal.
    Probably something really obvious but if anyone can help me out, much appreciated
    Last edited by Rich666; 1st-May-2015 at 05:25. Reason: don't post links to online shops, please

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

http://r4ids.cn/r4i-download-e.htm has the downloads for your card, providing it is a real one

The MicroSD should be formatted as Fat32 before you copy any files to it

Recommend a SD Formatter

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ will do the trick just remember Fat32 not exFat

Otherwise everything looks just fine from what you have shown

P.S. you may need to update the card itself to run on the latest 3ds firmware if you are still on 9.2.xxx then do not update it, if you plan on getting a 3DS flash kit at any point in time or using any other sort of exploit.... still waiting for the Supercard DSTWO+ to be released (The card you have can only play DS games though plus whatever homebrew software there is including emulators of other systems)

I got a Gateway though anyway, though saying that there are very few 3DS games I want to play that much, the DS software however there are tons of great games
    Last edited by Zorlon; 21st-April-2015 at 08:12.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks for the links but I still get nothing (a flash of white then just a black screen), so I guess I bought a fake despite it being a site I thought could be trusted.

Just my luck.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Did you re-format the MicroSD with the prog provided first before you dropped the files onto the MicroSD

Just use the Quick format option

P.S. the MicroSD may also be cheap junk or over priced junk depending on what you got

I tend to go Amazon for my Micro SD's and filter out so only items sold by amazon are shown, the reviews are worth looking at especially any negative ones, sometimes the - responses are just due to post or occasionally the wrong item sent both are of no real issue as the item will still get to you and any errors like the wrong item will be resolved by amazon anyway

Lexar Professional 64GB Class 10 MicroSDXC Flash Memory Card is what I got last to use in my Gateway card, it works great and is actually a class 10 card and all files read perfect on it, the gateway reads exfat formatted Micro SD's (That card came pre formatted as exfat) but any other DS flash kit can not read that format so would need to be re-formatted to fat32 first to be readable

sample using amazon to find MicroSD Amazon Micro SD 64GB sold by Amazon only and sorted by price

If you are curios my older cards are Samsung class 10 32GB that at the time had been one of the cheapest MicroSD's of that size (and still have good quality) though 64GB ones are cheaper now than what I paid for those, 128GB ones are still over £60 though, but only payed a little over £15 for the 64GB card
    Last edited by Zorlon; 23rd-April-2015 at 11:58.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah I used the format you posted a link to, and my cards are directly from Amazon (all mine always are), I got some official 16gb ones.

The only thing that could be wrong is this NDS card itself. Pisses me off cause I had to wait about 3 weeks for it to arrive as it was.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

do you have any old none HC MicroSD cards 2GB asnd under I think they should be to be none HC just worth testing with

PS what site is indicated on the actual card itself & packaging, check both...

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I would be surprised if it needs an old micro SD card (non-HC).
    I have an old R4 Revolution and it accepts 8GB micro SDHC SanDisk just fine This is just for an old Lite console though.
    Pretty sure I use the SD formatter Zorlon linked to.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Recommend a SD Formatter
    Is there really any substantial reason to use a separate SD formatter over the standard Windows function? I've never had any issues using the windows formatter for all of my fat32-based devices.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    I would be surprised if it needs an old micro SD card (non-HC).
    I have an old R4 Revolution and it accepts 8GB micro SDHC SanDisk just fine This is just for an old Lite console though.
    Pretty sure I use the SD formatter Zorlon linked to.
    The standard micro SD is for testing only

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    Is there really any substantial reason to use a separate SD formatter over the standard Windows function? I've never had any issues using the windows formatter for all of my fat32-based devices.
    For quality only, a bit like someone saying why burn at a lower speed all my discs read fine on my PC
    It's just a better sector sort for SD cards giving higher quality reading, it has helped with some of the more taxing games such as a couple of the Castlevania DS games that require a smooth read back, there is also less chance of it going corrupt later down the line

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Although I am working with the UK version of Amazon (all the same products anyway pretty much):
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o01_s00

There are the basic ones I was buying for use in the PSP (with adapter), but these aren't any good for the DS I assume?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Did you look at the rating for it the bad comments are very bad, a number of none working cards and cards that worked but only for a month or so before becoming unreadable by anything

That's all I tend to look at myself, there is a good chance it's the Micro SD that is junk rather than the kit itself

The card I got was 3 times the price, though it is also 64GB more like 4 time the storage size (128GB cards take a big jump in price still though, not vastly but enough to put me off for now, they used to go for no less than £100 but have dropped a little to around £65, cheaper 128GB ones tend to be just junk)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lexar-Profes...words=Micro+SD

There is only one bad comment and that was that they sent the wrong product

P.S. brand means nothing in media, there is no such thing as a good brand for everything, goes for CD's DVD's and SD's ect ect ect

Best bet do some digging or read the negitive reviews and find out why they had not been happy
    Last edited by Zorlon; 24th-April-2015 at 22:05.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

I would argue that the bad reviews for a lot of Micro SDs are from ones that were bought from sellers, I've never had any bad cards directly from Amazon themselves (the 16GB ones I linked have all been fine in PSP cards so far). I agree a lot of the third party sellers are trying to sell fakes though.

Although I will get one of those 64GB ones and hope it makes the difference

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Keep us updated anyway and best of luck.

P.S. did you try contacting the retailer for the flash kit?

Not had an R4 for years now, they are all fake as far as I am concerned now, the original R4 (one of the cards I used to own but was stolen) was not by any of the current teams, the R4 original was actually a clone card anyway of the M3 Real with the ID changed, you could even cut or join a connection inside the card to change the ID from R4 to M3 Real and vice versa, every update done by M3 was stolen and modded to work on the R4 at the time, so the real good work was not even done by R4 itself

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

O.K. so I have the 64gb card finally, I formatted to FAT32 then I put the files on it.
    When I start it up from the main DS screen, I get a black screen. So no flash of white anymore just the black screen.

p.s. The picture in my first post has been updated to show the launcher file now too.
    Last edited by Rich666; 1st-May-2015 at 05:26.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Hmm is this doing that on the original DS/DS Lite

I would start on a DS/DS Lite as it should work on that regardless, 3DS may just have firmware issues

What icon is shown for this kit also on the DS (a photo will do)

P.S. could you post a photo of your R4i Gold card, a close up shot would be great both front and rear of it, I want to know the exact card you are using and see if I can tell if you have a fake or something else

http://filetrip.net/dl?FhXOBrY7vI is the latest Wood R4iGold version 1.64

As far as I know the Launcher.dat is for 3DS kits that play 3DS roms and would be stored on the 3DS SD card not the Mircro SD card

You may be downloading the wrong software for your kit, best if I know what exact card/s you have ASAP so I can advise you correctly

Again I need to know exactly what you have before offering further help
    Last edited by Zorlon; 1st-May-2015 at 17:58.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]