Thread: Strange sound issue ePSXe

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Strange sound issue ePSXe

This isnt a game breaking issue but it tends to get annoying.

During game play whenever a game has to pull up data or load an animation it plays sounds from an earlier time in the play session. This also happens during a save state; while it is saving the sounds from my last battle or dungeon will play...that includes my actions and menu selections almost like a recording of what has happened. I think the emulator is some how playing sounds from the RAM buffer but im not sure how to stop it.

I have tried a few different SPUs including: Peops, Enternal, and the standard ePSXe SPU but the issue persists anyway.

If any one has had and solved this issue help would be great :-)

AMD R9 280 3GB/ current sound source via HDMI
    Gskill Ripjaw 1333
    AMD Phenom II 6X 1100
    Windows 7 pro
    ePSXe 1.9

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Sound problems from Save State is pretty common on PSX emulators. It's a ton of data and certain things tend to get stuck, like sound.

Try using only standard "Memory Card" saves in your games and you will probably have better results.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks, ill give that a try.

I normally use save states in situations where I need to leave right then or before an unknown area, and in most cases it is just faster to load a save state than waiting on the game to boot. Though there has never been sound distortion or missing sounds.

An example is when playing Breath of Fire 4 sometimes when the game loads the short fmv for the dragon transformation the battle music stops and sounds from the last map I was on play for a few seconds. Every thing goes back to normal after the sequence. Same thing happens if I leave and let the hard drive stop spinning. When I enter an area that wasn't cached; while the hard drive is seeking past sounds will play. Do you think it could have something to do with my system memory? I am running quad channel with 2 different speed and brand DIMMs.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I don't know enough about RAM interacting with emulators to comment on that. The ePSXe SPU core is designed to emulate the PS sound processor programming as closely as possible so if you still have the issue with that plugin then the solution is probably somewhere other than the emulator itself. I suggest Google, this might be an issue with that particular game. You can usually find common problems with a specific game on Google and look for a solution there.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.