Thread: Is it possible to backup gamecube images to a regular mini DVD?

Thanks

Default Is it possible to backup gamecube images to a regular mini DVD?

I was asking if it's possible to use regular 1.4GB mini DVDs to backup Gamecube images? I ask because the standard mini DVD is only 1.4GB in capacity but GC images are 1.45GB in size and thus larger then the disc it would be going on. If not could I use the larger 2.8GB double layer mini DVDs?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Your wrong GC games are pressed mini DVD's they are not any bigger

The thing I hate about the way discs and other storage devices is they never give the correct info about the storage size e.g 32GB is usually about 28GB as they just look at the first few digits in bytes instead of actually calculating the real storage space

Personally I will not use DVD's of any size for GC games, a few games will lag from DVD-R or +R (Nothing can be done about that the hardware itself reads pressed media quicker than burned media, this is the cause of the lag), because of methods on the Wii I just run the games from HDD with faster load times ect ect.

The real size is 1.36 GB or 1.46 GB if you take the first 3 digits of the bytes size, that is for both GC and camcorder mini DVD's or apx 1,460,000,000 bytes that does not = 1.46 GB in reality

with the usual round down or up you can see how they got 1.4 and 1.45 both are rounded down a little so instead of 1.46 we get 1.45 (round the 3rd digit) and 1.4 (removed the 3rd digit) neither could store 1.4 or 1.45 though anyway

P.S. I have used mini DVD's in the past on the GC so I do know they will fit even if it's a RAW dump that takes every sector even the junk parts that don't have actual game data will still fit perfect on a Mini DVD-R or a Mini DVD+R standard single layer disc

Again I hate the way they don't display the correct storage but they have done this for almost as long as computer storage has been around

Disc images do store more than the game data they also store extra information so images usually do not represent the exact size they take up on a disc

We used to get tons of Q's about PSX CD images as alot had been around 800MB in file size but they did not need overburning or over sized CD-R's or anything they still fit standard 700MB CD's (that again the disc image did not represent the actual storage size that is a little more than the actual data that would be burned to disc (in bytes a standard 80min/700MB CD's can store 79:59:69 of Sound (in time minutes seconds and milliseconds, a little less than the discs/packaging states though only by 31 milliseconds), 736,960,512 bytes of data or 702.82MB of data that is a little more than the disc and packaging states (over 2.5 MB more) (neither include over-burning that can push a little more data/sound time on these) saying that, that is a lot less of difference we get in the GB/TB age no 1TB HDD drive is actually 1TB they are much less than that about 953GB normally can be less as well though
    Last edited by Zorlon; 31st-March-2015 at 15:19.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR