Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what are the differences between the 3DS flash carts?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

MicroSD's yes they all fit

Though got for a good one one as in a highish class card

Standard 2GB and under may not be fast enough, for DS kits of today, though back in the day I just used a Kingston 1GB made in Japan

I use a class (10) MicroSD currently, though that may be over kill, as some users use class (4) without issue

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

O.K. cool
    So does the class affect anything more than the transfer speed? I mean, obviously not including fake ones with capacity problems.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Some games can lag due to lower class cards and fake slower cards

not only lag issues but game crashing issues and bugs a couple of the castlevania games are like that with slower cards, levels not fully loading and other bugs including crash outs, it's not something that is noticeable to start with either tended to happen mid to late game

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

So is the best place to go for class 10 cards directly from Amazon or something? Somewhere to trust anyway I imagine.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I really would not know now, had my cards for a while now and find it hard to tell if the cards sold online are real fake or totally different to what is shown

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Ha yeah I now that feeling, thanks for all the help anyway man I'll be getting one of those cards for sure.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You don't actually require a flash kit to play 3DS games you can install a CFW unfortunately it only works on firmware 4.1, but saying that you can downgrade the 3DS without a flash kit also to 4.1, using the Gateway software download that is initiated by loading a web page on your 3DS

Once the software has loaded you get various options including boot in 3DS mode that is for the flash kit but the last option lets you downgrade the 3DS

I can give more detail later

To be honest I got a Gateway recently and it works great but the method to get the card to boot sucks and you require an internet connection to do that
    [Basics the way it work]
    1. boot via the special web page
    2. Hold L when the lower screen goes white (only needs doing once)
    3. select 3DS mode (only needs doing once)
    4. this boots in GW mode (games can be accessed on the kit)
    5. the card will show empty to start with
    6. press select to bring up a game menu
    7. select the game you want
    8. The game will then show as the game you set
    9. start the game the normal way
    10. to exit make sure to use the home button otherwise the save date is not updated/stored
    11. once the machine is shut down you will need to start with step 1 again (steps 2 and 3 can be skipped)

[Basics Optional]
    Virtual nand and cia installs
    this is optional and requires extra software

This lets you install games on your 3DS that will show on the main screen instead of through a card (when booted in the correct mode), this can also be done via the CFW option though only on 4.1 so not all games work

for both CFW and Gateway cards the boot method does not change from the above except it's a different loader and you don't need a card inserted for the CFW method

I can go into more detail later still hoping on the Supercard DSTWO+ though but while you wait you can try the CWF methods

Note the New 3DS can also work with a Gateway but you require a retail copy of Cubic Ninja, not so sure if CFW can work on the New 3DS though

The New 3DS was released after the 2DS so the original 3DS and 3DSXL work the normal way
    Last edited by Zorlon; 30th-March-2015 at 08:22.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

sky3ds can works on any 3ds /xl firmware for playing 3ds games and r4i gold 3ds is compatible with any 3ds xl /dsi/dsl/ new 3ds console system for playing ds games

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I would still save my cash for something better, though yes getting sick of waiting

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    I recently ordered an actual 3DS kit (Got sick of waiting for the Supercard DSTWO + to be released so ordered a Gateway card instead for now)
    Any specific reason you bought the Gateway card instead of the Sky3ds? I just got my Sky3ds and am happy but am new to the DS scene in general so curious if I am missing out on anything by using it instead of the Gateway card.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

about £30 difference , the Gateway was cheaper here

features I can't see it as the Sky3DS is based on the Gateways 3DS anyway with a few of there own little twists added but nothing that different

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]