Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HI all!!!! (Dreamcast questions)

Thanks

Default HI all!!!! (Dreamcast questions)

Hi all I have two questions, then
    1-I have the original game nba showtime nba on nbc, the European pal version that is and would like to play on the emulator nulldc you can make backups CDI? Is there any tutorial?

2-I also found the SD-ISO always pal version but I can't play it because it tells me at startup "please insert game disc" what should I do to play on the emulator? (since I should have dreamshell to play on the original console).

Thanks a lot for the help

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

1 Nope unless you have a BBA, Coders cable or SD for your Dreamcast, there is another option if you follow the guide outlined by redump, but that is not a recommended method of dumping GD-Rom media

I could give you the GDI dump if you wanted though that is not like CDI that in general is a rip as GD discs store abbout 1.2 GB of data and pressed retail dreamcast discs are GD-Rom's not CD-Roms

2 Nope unless you convert the image to a self booting Mil-CD

I can give you a Mil-CD image of the same game if you wanted anyway

P.S. NullDC is not the best dreamcast emulator but depending on your system it may be the fastest, the best one is demul, or you could just use your console to play backups directly and get Mil-CD rips aka CDI images aka Selfboot images

P.P.S. did you try the disc image on our main server listed as NBA Showtime? it's the same game and may be the NTSC version unless you are after the PAL version for a reason and just for emulation then I recommend getting the GDI image of it that I am sure I could upload for you

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

would you be so kind to post the link to download mil-cd and also the gdi dump (if you can) the game, I tried to play with the NTSC version but the problem was the sound he felt bad and a little graphics. Thanks a lot

Thanks
    EP Points

Not to hijack this thread but I saw you (Zorlon) mention SD, which reminded me that I read something somewhere about being able to build an SD slot into a dreamcast. Looking online I'm mostly finding forum posts with users selling pre-made kits, which is fine if that's what I have to resort to. I'd personally love to learn how to do it from basic parts, as I'm fairly competent with small electronics and soldering. Do you happen to have any guides to this, or do you think I might just be better off from a time/money perspective buying a premade kit? Also, does it differ much depending on what model dreamcast you have? I have one of the older ones compatible with self-booting CDIs, can find the actual model number if necessary.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

@ Maslowk

To make an SD slot is reasonably easy to do you should manage that fine

I happen to own a plugin one though pre made

http://www.dallaslive.de/vdr/project...t/index-en.php

also has basic instructions at the actual youtubbe page

For Dreamshell you may want an older version, I say this because I know from experience that the newer version supported less SD cards

I only use my SD cards for save backing up though, they are not that good for playing games except a few lower end games (games with lower GD reading) and a few homebrew efforts

@ a4ms1

The problem with the bad sound will be more to do with the emulator/system, not if it's NTSC or PAL

I will try and get something uploaded soon though, time provided so you can see for yourself
    Last edited by Zorlon; 23rd-February-2015 at 05:07.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

@ Zorlon Thank you so much there I managed to get it to work, pretty much did the cdi selfboot, again thanks for the help

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

That is brilliant hope you enjoy the game

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

@ Zorlon sorry,the last question when i play this game on mame, gives me this error "this game lacks sound" how to solve it? I have to put some sound files or bios? thank you (I know I am off topic)
    Last edited by a4ms1; 2nd-March-2015 at 13:42.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nothing can be done, that report is the status of the emulation in mame rather than an error report

You can either try updating mame, see if they fixed the issue with an update or see if the game is supported in another arcade emulator

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

@ Zorlon Thank you!!!!!!!!!!:d

Thanks

@ Zorlon another off topic question (sorry), You can connect dreamcast to a pc monitor if you which wire do you recommend? Which sd adapter tips to buy? You can return to the gdi from source a game iso dreamcast?? Thank you very much

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

SD Adapter you can make yourself ... though these are not worth having to play games from

If you are talking the GD Emu - SD then... pfft outdated http://3do-renovation.ru/USB-GDROM_Controller.htm ut you are talking over £100 for one those replace the GD-Rom drive totally and do run perfect

VGA adapter...You will not have much choice nowerdays anyway just get what you can or wire up your own, if you must know I have one by blaze that is a switched one between VGA and composite

Note that not all games support VGA and some games need patching to work in VGA mode, I have a list of English games with/without and patchable to VGA

modding with VGA and (SD via the serial port on the DC) is not really all that hard to do if you can use a soldering iron, if you can't though just go for the cheapest you can find though for VGA you may want a switched VGA box instead of a cable

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

@ Zorlon ok thank you so I just give me an sd adapter through the tutorial and then start dreamshell or gdemu, and then I buy a vga box for connecting to your pc right?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Dreamshell is just for a normal SD Adapter the thing that is a it too slow for most gaming needs
    The GD Emu is not available now but the US one I linked is
    You can buy or make the VGA also including a switch (if you can't find a guide for that I will for you as buying can be very pricey as those are not that easy to get hold of, I was lucky at the time)

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

@ Zorlon ok finished thank you a lot :d