Thread: Cannot get CWCheat to work on PSP with CFW

Thanks
    EP Points

Question Cannot get CWCheat to work on PSP with CFW

Problem:

CWCheat locks up my PSP when I exit the plugin after enabling codes.

EXAMPLE: I boot up Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles via UMD. Once the game has loaded and I've loaded my save, I hold SELECT to access the menu. From there, I select my codes and then enable the codes. Once I try to exit the plugin one of two things happens: 1) The screen locks up and the PSP reboots after a minute or 2) The screen locks up with black bars where the plugin text was and the PSP reboots after a minute.

System Information:

Sony PSP 3001
    6.60 CFW PRO-C Fix 3
    16GB Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo (Mark2)

File Structure:

ROOT --> seplugins --> cwcheat --> CWCHEAT.INI; cheat.db; cheatpops.db; cwcheat.prx; cwcheatpops.prx

Additional Plugins

psnfucker

Copy of GAME.txt

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Copy of VSH.TXT

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.

Thanks

make sure that the red led light is NOT blinking when you open the cheat menu,it always froze for me too when it was blinking.just wait for it to stop completely from blinking,then open cheat menu,select codes,exit menu...

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by forever View Post
    make sure that the red led light is NOT blinking when you open the cheat menu,it always froze for me too when it was blinking.just wait for it to stop completely from blinking,then open cheat menu,select codes,exit menu...
    So good news and bad news! I waited for the light to quick blinking and it worked great for Megaman X for the PSP from my memory card! The bad news is that when loading a game from a UMD, there is no light to base when to enter the menu. I do not hear the laser moving when I center CWCheat, however I still get a locked up system with a shutdown. I will try another UMD when I get home and see if it is the UMD or the code I'm trying to use.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Never had an issues using CWCheat but from the sounds of it, you are only having issues using it with UMD's so the obvious method is to just rip your UMD's to iso files instead

I'm on the same firmware though using a PSP 2000 version and don't use UMD's at all now

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Never had an issues using CWCheat but from the sounds of it, you are only having issues using it with UMD's so the obvious method is to just rip your UMD's to iso files instead

I'm on the same firmware though using a PSP 2000 version and don't use UMD's at all now
    I'll try that in a bit. My main card is full, so I'll use my 4 GB card to rip the UMD and try the plugin out.

Thanks
    EP Points

The crashing could also come from bad codes. Games like Star Ocean Second Evolution and First Departure were pretty annoying and would freeze a lot of times with codes running in CWCheat.

What I did then was use TempAR instead. You can use the same cheat database file you use on cwcheat for TempAR, and for some reason using TempAR it would not crash and the codes worked fine.

It could just be the way that CWCheat writes codes to the memory, and that TempAR handles it differently, idk. But if it keeps crashing for you, take that into consideration as well and give it a shot.
    YouTube (Gameplay Videos)
    Intel Core i5-4670k @ 3.40GHz | Radeon HD 7850 | 6GB DDR3-1333 | 120GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 640 GB HDD

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryudo For This Useful Post:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ryudo View Post
    The crashing could also come from bad codes. Games like Star Ocean Second Evolution and First Departure were pretty annoying and would freeze a lot of times with codes running in CWCheat.

What I did then was use TempAR instead. You can use the same cheat database file you use on cwcheat for TempAR, and for some reason using TempAR it would not crash and the codes worked fine.

It could just be the way that CWCheat writes codes to the memory, and that TempAR handles it differently, idk. But if it keeps crashing for you, take that into consideration as well and give it a shot.
    Great Advice

Because I never had an issue with CWCheat though I tend not to use cheats that much anyway, I had forgotten about TempAR as an alternative

My PSP is also a 2K version that might handle some things differently though can't see it as they all use the same firmware except the Go version that has it's own at a guess because it has it's own internal storage as well as different external memory to 1k to 3k PSP's so would need a slightly altered firmware to read at least the internal memory

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR