Page 22 of 267 FirstFirst ... 1217181920212223242526273272122 ... LastLast

Thread: The something or Other-out, or something or other...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

the GDEmu makes the Dreamcast region free. This means that no matter what region system you have installed the device to, it will boot games from all around the world with no fuss whatsoever. In order to get the most out of this, our GDEmu was placed into an NTSC-U system so that everything ran at 60hz by default - but it did mean we needed to carry out the R422 modification to get PAL 50hz games displaying correctly.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I really want to pick up a GDEmu for my DC, as well as a Rhea for my Saturn. Would just be nice to not have to burn discs anymore.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    You can replace the optical drive with a GDEmu board. You are probably thinking about the cheap plugin-in adaptors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    I think now they have a modded bios that boots into dreamshell. There's also the GDemu.
    Looks awesome, just a shame it's so expensive. I could get two or three working Dreamcasts for what they're asking.

Thanks
    EP Points

before you toss aside your Serial Port adapter, the GDEmu can actually be used in conjunction with this dated device to give your Dreamcast some added oomph! For those unfamiliar with the adapter, some homebrew software known as Dreamshell was developed to grant the console its very own operating system equivalent. This allowed the aforementioned loading of games via SD cards through the adapter, amongst other things such as backing up original game discs in their rawest form. While these functions may no longer be needed, placing Dreamshell onto your GDEmu’s contents allows you to do various other little tweaks to your system, along with being able to back-up and restore save games on your Visual Memory Units. And before we leave this point, those still nostalgic about the VMU should look towards putting Dream Explorer onto the GDEmu too - a disc full of all the VMU mini-games and functionality to restore them.
    While we were rather excited to get a 128gb SD card working on the device, the GDEmu has a readable limit of 64 folders. This means that those hoping to store the entire library of classics on one SD card will instead need to look at having several cards spreading out the games on each. Knute has stated that this limitation is not going to be resolved, as it requires more expensive hardware to remedy.
    So from what I've read there's only mention of one game locking up on boot (Unreal Tournament, which I'm sure most people can live without on that platform), and having to use multiple cards for all your games.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
    Looks awesome, just a shame it's so expensive. I could get two or three working Dreamcasts for what they're asking.
    You get what you pay for dude. Decent hardmods may seem expensive but they're well worth it, I have never had one fail on me (although I haven't tested this particular one).
    Once you get into this stuff you realise how awesome it is. Poor people go for cheaper methods and have to deal with more issues.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You get what you pay for dude. Decent hardmods may seem expensive but they're well worth it, I have never had one fail on me (although I haven't tested this particular one).
    Once you get into this stuff you realise how awesome it is. Poor people go for cheaper methods and have to deal with more issues.
    In some instances there are decent softmod solutions that rival hardmods. Such as in the case of the Xbox, Wii, and PS3. Though yeah in this instance you're definitely right. I'd rather spend the extra money on a GDemu than buy an inferior product, or several backup DCs that might crap out in who knows how long.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    We can't be friends.
    Good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Roxas is like 12 and has probably never owned a Dreamcast, so it makes sense.
    21, actually.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Not to mention I have played a Dreamcast, buddy of mine owns one, but I've never heard of nor played Powerstone. Did look it up, it looks meh to me.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I want a drive emulator for the PS1. Now that's a console I would definitely invest $100+ into hardmodding.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Roxas View Post
    Not to mention I have played a Dreamcast, buddy of mine owns one, but I've never heard of nor played Powerstone. Did look it up, it looks meh to me.
    You get off you Rule 63 Marth, YOUR OPINION IS INVALID
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Eh, I've never used my Dreamcast enough to justify spending that kind of money, and from reading this thing sounds like it still has its share of kinks to be ironed out. It's good it's being worked on though. I'll wait for a cheaper solution further down the line.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    You get off you Rule 63 Marth, YOUR OPINION IS INVALID
    Oh Jesus not this bullshit again.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I want a drive emulator for the PS1. Now that's a console I would definitely invest $100+ into hardmodding.
    Agreed

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

My black painted audiophile psx could use one of those.

Thanks
    EP Points

In some instances there are decent softmod solutions that rival hardmods. Such as in the case of the Xbox, Wii, and PS3. Though yeah in this instance you're definitely right. I'd rather spend the extra money on a GDemu than buy an inferior product, or several backup DCs that might crap out in who knows how long.
    I'm not saying softmod solutions don't work, there is inevitably more work involved in most cases though.

Plugin chips/ODDE mods are really good 'cos if your console craps itself you can easily move to another.

Spoiler warning: