Thread: Can anyone give me a step-by-step guide on how to update my PSP CFW?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Can anyone give me a step-by-step guide on how to update my PSP CFW?

I'm really noobish at this.

I bought my PSP second-hand off my cousin and it came with CFW 5.00 M33-4
    I heard that M33-6 is the latest one and was wondering how to update to it as I've been having some difficulties recently running some games, even after I use a tool called ISO tool to do a prometheus patch.

TQ In Advance!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

The more recent CFW choices would be:
    6.60 PRO C fix 3 (don't use C2 as it breaks PSone Classics compatibility).
    There is another recent CFW around I can't recall what it is exactly now, but it might be 6.60 ME 2.2 ?
    There should be temp and perm versions of both (E1000 aka Street has to use temp, and maybe PSP Go does too but I'm not sure about that myself).

But update to official 6.60 first, that's the last OFW
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...-60-plus-bonus
    Last edited by deadlegion; 24th-December-2014 at 15:40.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    The more recent CFW choices would be:
    6.60 PRO C fix 3 (don't use C2 as it breaks PSone Classics compatibility).
    There is another recent CFW around I can't recall what it is exactly now, but it might be 6.60 ME 2.2 ?
    There should be temp and perm versions of both (E1000 aka Street has to use temp, and maybe PSP Go does too but I'm not sure about that myself).

But update to official 6.60 first, that's the last OFW
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...-60-plus-bonus
    And then what?

Can I even still update to the OFW?

Thanks
    EP Points

Well you need to update to 6.60 so everything is compatible, no more patching. I linked you to the official firmware updates.
    After that you just choose whatever CFW you want to use, and install it.

I can't help you with steps for a couple of reasons:
    My PSP is an E1002, it came with 6.60 OFW when I got it. I never had to update my OFW because it was already on the last one
    Because I have an E1002 I can only use temp CFW, which means if I turn my PSP off I have to run the CFW recovery (which only takes a couple of seconds so I really don't mind).

So all I did was grab PRO C fix 3 and followed the instructions that came with it (removing all the stuff associated with perm install before dumping the installer on my dual SD card adaptor combo).

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

CFW can be updated with OFW (it will obviously be no longer modded) once on OFW 6.60 you can then install the CFW of choice for OFW 6.60

No tricks are needed now either you can install it without any extra steps just run the CFW installer, then the perm hack (The perm hack is for 1k and 2k versions mostly this is why it was a separate install as most newer versions can't use the perm hack, see the guide for exact info on that)

M33 is very very out of date but the best update for that was the Prome hack but even that is old now

M33 updates including the extra prome hack can be installed directly on a M33 modded PSP, but strongly recommend you just go for one of the newer mods like 6.60 Pro C fix 3

You can downgrade again at a later date but you will require some of the older tricks to install it
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-December-2014 at 21:37.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    CFW can be updated with OFW (it will obviously be no longer modded) once on OFW 6.60 you can then install the CFW of choice for OFW 6.60

No tricks are needed now either you can install it without any extra steps just run the CFW installer, then the perm hack (The perm hack is for 1k and 2k versions mostly this is why it was a separate install as most newer versions can't use the perm hack, see the guide for exact info on that)

M33 is very very out of date but the best update for that was the Prome hack but even that is old now

M33 updates including the extra prome hack can be installed directly on a M33 modded PSP, but strongly recommend you just go for one of the newer mods like 6.60 Pro C fix 3

You can downgrade again at a later date but you will require some of the older tricks to install it

If I can be honest....I have no idea what you just said. Can I even still install OFW on my system?
    I'm also really worried at the possibility of bricking my system.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SilentStalker View Post
    Can I even still install OFW on my system?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentStalker View Post
    I'm also really worried at the possibility of bricking my system.
    Don't use perm CFW then. If you don't use the CIPL Flasher (the bootloader) you can't brick your PSP afaik.
    Just use temp CFW, which means you will have to use Fast Recovery whenever you turn on your PSP after it has been turned off (it only takes a few seconds).

Spoiler warning: