Thread: [PSX] Is it okay to rename the scph7003 bios to scph5501?

Thanks
    EP Points

Question [PSX] Is it okay to rename the scph7003 bios to scph5501?

I've been trying to run the Mednafen emulator, but it will not open a game. I read around that Mednafen only reads bin/cue images, and that it requires the SCPH-5501 bios file.. i believe this is for North American games.

I have already downloaded a collection of 15 different psx bios files from EmuParadise, but it's missing the 5501 bios. I did some digging, and others are saying that scph7003 is the same bios as scph5501. For some reason Mednafen is choosing not to read the 7003 bios, and so I'm wondering if it would be smart to copy the 7003 bios and rename it 5501?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It's worth a try. SCPH-1001.bin is the BIOS for US games. What I'm reading on the Wiki page says that SCPH-1002 through SCPH-5552 are early PAL versions(European) which could cause timing problems if you are running US hardware/monitor/game version. In fact here's a link to that page, where it shows that SCPH-5501 is a v3.0 BIOS, so in that sense it would be better to rename SCPH-5500, rather than the SCPH-7003 as that is a v4.1 BIOS.

If you're emulating on a PC I would recommend trying a different PSX emulator. Mednafen sounds pretty great for emulating simpler systems, but PSX has a lot higher requirements. For example, save states work fine on emulators all the way up to SNES, but using them on PSX emulators is going to cause problems. So if renaming the BIOS doesn't work, go ahead and try ePSXe, since it's got a lot more versatility where plugins/BIOS are concerned.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to skullpoker For This Useful Post:

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Here ya go mate, all the info ya need,

http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/Using_RetroArch

I would use Retroarch instead of going through hell trying to use mednafen on its own, Retroarch's PSX core uses Mednafen.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    Here ya go mate, all the info ya need,

http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/Using_RetroArch

I would use Retroarch instead of going through hell trying to use mednafen on its own, Retroarch's PSX core uses Mednafen.
    Yes i am using Retroarch, it's the only emulator I'll ever use However the Mednafen core has never opened any game for me, at least not on the Android Retroarch.. no idea about PC Retroarch. The PCSX Rearmed core has run every PSX game I've thrown at it, but I want Mednafen to work just incase it doesn't
    Last edited by Double44; 10th-December-2014 at 00:28.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Double44 View Post
    Yes i am using Retroarch, it's the only emulator I'll ever use However the Mednafen core has never opened any game for me, at least not on the Android Retroarch.. no idea about PC Retroarch. The PCSX Rearmed core though, it's run everything I've thrown at it, but I want Mednafen to work just incase it doesn't
    oh I have the solution for that, it took me ages till I figured it out on my own,

Ya need to disable the bios for PSX,

if ya dont know how il tell ya, I kinda haven't tinkered with retroarch in months
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

oh I have the solution for that, it took me ages till I figured it out on my own,

Ya need to disable the bios for PSX,

if ya dont know how il tell ya, I kinda haven't tinkered with retroarch in months
    Oh is that it? how would i go about doing that? couldn't i just point the custom System path in Retroarch to an empty folder, or is there a better way?

I recently found a bunch of different PSX bios files at the wiki below, and I'm confused by all the different versions of USA bios there are? Does anyone know what the difference is? I also found a Retroarch bios pack here, i may end up using that instead.
    http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/in...Emulator_Files

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Oh is that it? how would i go about doing that? couldn't i just point the custom System path in Retroarch to an empty folder, or is there a better way?

I recently found a bunch of different PSX bios files at the wiki below, and I'm confused by all the different versions of USA bios there are? Does anyone know what the difference is? I also found a Retroarch bios pack here, i may end up using that instead.
    http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/in...Emulator_Files
    Heres the thing, it NEEDS the bios files to run BUT you must disable the bios inside the emulator for the games to run, im sure that lil bug will get fixed sooner or later.

Edit: do you really want that playstation bios booting up everytime you load a game anyway?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Heres the thing, it NEEDS the bios files to run BUT you must disable the bios inside the emulator for the games to run, im sure that lil bug will get fixed sooner or later.

Edit: do you really want that playstation bios booting up everytime you load a game anyway?
    Hopefully an update does come around soon, it's been since March that Retroarch for Android was updated.. probably the only bad thing i can say about it

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Hopefully an update does come around soon, it's been since March that Retroarch for Android was updated.. probably the only bad thing i can say about it
    Could always run the stable windows build with updated cores .