Thread: How accurate are Saturn backups compared to the originals?

Thanks

Default How accurate are Saturn backups compared to the originals?

I have a modded Saturn so I can play put games on CD-Rs and play them on the Saturn.

I was just curious, are the roms/rips (on this website for example) just as accurate as the original copy?

I know for Dreamcast they probably won't be 100% accurate since you are compressing things from a GD-R (1GB) to a CD-R (700MB). But I was thinking that the Saturn would be since CD-Rs have more than enough space for a Saturn game.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by sp957 View Post
    I have a modded Saturn so I can play put games on CD-Rs and play them on the Saturn.

I was just curious, are the roms/rips (on this website for example) just as accurate as the original copy?

I know for Dreamcast they probably won't be 100% accurate since you are compressing things from a GD-R (1GB) to a CD-R (700MB). But I was thinking that the Saturn would be since CD-Rs have more than enough space for a Saturn game.
    Depends but mostly yes they are perfect rips or Saturn games but there are some that had been badly dumped in the past, Trurip (replaced the TOSEC set) and Redump are the better sets, the ones that are messed up tend to either be region patched but without fixing checksum data (CD-Mage can fix those) or the games have only had the data track dumped that makes most of those unplayable but those are mostly from the older dumps made, more recent dumps are perfect in every way

Dreamcast is totally different though, more recent rips have been done in the best possible format, most games though actually fit without any removing of data or re-sampling, but yeah there are games that can not fit onto a standard CD-R, another but... there are some 99min CD-R rips that again have managed to do so with no removing of data or re-sampling and there are even spanned games, e.g. I put Grandia II on to 3CD's that is a single GD-Rom originally and was normally either ripped on to a single CD with heavy down-sampling or onto 2 CD's with less down-sampling, my 3 CD rip has nothing re-sampled in it, there is a small edit to replace some map text that indicates when/where to save your game to boot the next disc (saves you having to guess when to save or read spoilers that tell you when to save) but asides from that it's a perfect rip, there are still a few games that have re-sampled data in them or removed data to make the games fit but very very few now left like that.

Even most of the PS2 DVD9 to DVD5 rips are much the same, as far as game data goes they are perfect, some just remove other language files, such as JAP text or voices and/or vice versa for those games with both Jap and English in them, most span over several DVD's and preserve all the game data

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Depends but mostly yes they are perfect rips or Saturn games but there are some that had been badly dumped in the past, Trurip (replaced the TOSEC set) and Redump are the better sets, the ones that are messed up tend to either be region patched but without fixing checksum data (CD-Mage can fix those) or the games have only had the data track dumped that makes most of those unplayable but those are mostly from the older dumps made, more recent dumps are perfect in every way

Dreamcast is totally different though, more recent rips have been done in the best possible format, most games though actually fit without any removing of data or re-sampling, but yeah there are games that can not fit onto a standard CD-R, another but... there are some 99min CD-R rips that again have managed to do so with no removing of data or re-sampling and there are even spanned games, e.g. I put Grandia II on to 3CD's that is a single GD-Rom originally and was normally either ripped on to a single CD with heavy down-sampling or onto 2 CD's with less down-sampling, my 3 CD rip has nothing re-sampled in it, there is a small edit to replace some map text that indicates when/where to save your game to boot the next disc (saves you having to guess when to save or read spoilers that tell you when to save) but asides from that it's a perfect rip, there are still a few games that have re-sampled data in them or removed data to make the games fit but very very few now left like that.

Even most of the PS2 DVD9 to DVD5 rips are much the same, as far as game data goes they are perfect, some just remove other language files, such as JAP text or voices and/or vice versa for those games with both Jap and English in them, most span over several DVD's and preserve all the game data
    Thanks for the very informative answer, mate. I never knew they were romsets for the Saturn.

Do you know what this site uses for Saturn? Do they usually get the Saturn roms from Trurip or Redump?

I usually get my roms from this site or another one uploaded by Darkwater.

Also, is it bad to region patch the games (that can mess with the checksum)? I usually patch my games with Satcon.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I don't no

The Darkwater set is perfect

Yes it can be, but fixable via CD Mage some patchers also auto fix that anyway, I do not know if Satcon is one such patcher that auto fixes or not though, I don't patch anything as it's not needed for the swap trick or PSEUDO, does the mod chip not bypass that anyway?

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,302 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Modded Saturns don't bypass region locks (or at least non that I've seen do). That's what those 4-in-1 cards are for, one of their features is region unlocking.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Modded Saturns don't bypass region locks (or at least non that I've seen do). That's what those 4-in-1 cards are for, one of their features is region unlocking.
    You can mod the bios to be region free, but that won't let you boot backups iirc. Don't know anything about Saturns tbh but I remember reading about it.

Spoiler warning:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Action Replay 4M plus is indeed region free

Refuse to say # in 1 as there are too many variations 3 in 1 up to 9 in 1 I think it is but all are much the same as far as features go with the exception of having or not having the serial port

Sucks that Saturn chips do not have region spoofing built in, I can't imagine that would be hard to do either

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

I have a AR. I usually still patch my games because there was one incident where the game asked that I remove the expansion cart.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by sp957 View Post
    I have a AR. I usually still patch my games because there was one incident where the game asked that I remove the expansion cart.
    That one game being Panzer Dragoon Saga, it's well known and has patches available (at least for the US version though not hard to crack the EU version also) or an action replay code to bypass that anyway

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post: