Thread: Getting back into the PSP (been away from it for about 3 years!)

Thanks

Default Getting back into the PSP (been away from it for about 3 years!)

Hi Guys

Sold my PSP over 3 years ago but by chance was given one by a friend 2 weeks ago. Its a PSP 1000 fatty. The screen was broken but thanks to a certain auction website, got a replacement.

Switched it on and found that it had CFW on it (5.50 Gen IIRC). Recently upgraded it to 6.60 Pro C

Got a few questions which I'm hoping someone can help with.

(1) Firstly, the UMD drive is knackered. I'm not too bothered as I solely want the psp for emulation but i do have a couple of UMD's knocking about which I wouldnt mind playing for old times sake. Basically, it starts up ok and you get the accessing icon but thats it. Listening to the back of it, the umd starts up but then simply stops after about 10 seconds. Is there a quick fix or is it too much hassle to sort?

(2) Re- Emulation. Last time i tried, SNES emulation was a bit slow needing frame skip on and all that. Is that still the case?
    Also, I used to have a really good NEO GEO emulator on my old one but I cant remember what it was called so can anyone tell me the best one to use at the moment?

Finally, did a decent MAME emulator ever come out? Not expecting miracles but would like some old school arcade stuff to play sometimes!

Anyway, thats it. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by toneeb View Post
    (1) Firstly, the UMD drive is knackered. I'm not too bothered as I solely want the psp for emulation but i do have a couple of UMD's knocking about which I wouldnt mind playing for old times sake. Basically, it starts up ok and you get the accessing icon but thats it. Listening to the back of it, the umd starts up but then simply stops after about 10 seconds. Is there a quick fix or is it too much hassle to sort?
    This is something that would likely require replacing the whole drive. If you can find a replacement for a good price you might consider that, but of course whatever UMDs you have you could probably find backups of anyway.

(2) Re- Emulation. Last time i tried, SNES emulation was a bit slow needing frame skip on and all that. Is that still the case?
    Also, I used to have a really good NEO GEO emulator on my old one but I cant remember what it was called so can anyone tell me the best one to use at the moment?
    Last time I checked it still depends heavily on the game. Some games work great (Super Mario World, DKC 2-3 (1 is sometimes problematic for some reason), etc), while others are still completely unplayable (Doom & Star Fox for example, Super Mario World 2 is still funky). That said the last version I tried was Snes9xTYL 0.4.2, and it looks like some people have been working on some mods of the emulator which you can find here; http://wololo.net/downloads/index.php/download/7904. There was also a mod labeled "Euphoria" that worked better with a handful of games, but was also a lot less stable (crashed or locked you out of the emu menu a lot). The last revision I used was like r3 and they're up to r5 now though so maybe it's been improved?

As for Neo Geo, maybe MVPSP? IIRC that's the one I had working a while ago too though again I haven't used it recently. Here's a link; http://wololo.net/downloads/index.php/download/1393

Finally, did a decent MAME emulator ever come out? Not expecting miracles but would like some old school arcade stuff to play sometimes!
    This is one I never really dabbled in unfortunately. From a bit of googling it's sounding like the best one available is called PSP MAME4ALL. Here's a link for that one you can try; http://dl.qj.net/psp/emulators/psp-m...9r2-hires.html
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MaslowK For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks mate, appreciate the pointers.

One final question, am I right in thinking that there was / is a way of getting rid of the 'corrupted data' icons under 'game'?

Thanks
    EP Points

You should be able to hide corrupt icons through the recovery menu. Fully power down your PSP, then hold the R trigger while powering it back on until a new text menu comes up. I forget where it is exactly but it should be easy enough to find, the option is just called "Hide corrupt icons" IIRC.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MaslowK For This Useful Post: