Thread: Gameboy and N64 Save Backup

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Gameboy and N64 Save Backup

I am wondering what the best options for backing up saves from Gameboy, Gameboy Color, and N64 games are that are currently on the market. If necessary, I can set up a PC with Parallel and/or Serial connections if necessary (though USB would be much more convenient).

EDIT: I would like to expand this question to include Gameboy Advance games.
    Last edited by grandta13; 23rd-September-2014 at 01:36.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Gameboy Advance you can use an Action Replay to backup saves, not sure for the original GameBoy though, I just know the last Action Replay for GBA I had, had the option to backup save data (USB), though this always failed on my Zelda cart, so it obviously does not support all save types

I also have used a cable that came with one of my very old flash kits EZ flash Advance [EZF Advance] (not to be confused with the EZ-Flash range that used a serial cable direct to the flash kit, that is not related to the cart I am talking about) the cable is USB and hooks direct to the GBA link port, this can be used a few ways, use the GBA as a PC controller (3rd part GBA software was needed), backup save data from retail carts (don't remember if it can dump games, but think it could) and used to flash the memory of the GBA with small code, the same way it does from a Gamecube or GBA linkup, so you can flash a small game but this goes as soon as you turn the console off, The same cable came with the E-Cube that is another EZF Advance product

I'm sure I had the same issue with Zelda save backups with the EZFA cable anyway, so it may just be the way that cart goes
    Last edited by Zorlon; 23rd-September-2014 at 07:27.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

One option for GB/GBC is to purchase a 64Meg EMS flash cart and a Mega Memory Card.
    Copy the save file to your Mega memory card, then copy it to the EMS and then PC via USB connection. That is of course IF you can get the unsigned drivers for the EMS to work with windows.

The other option is via a dumper such as this.
    http://jazz-disassemblies.blogspot.c...ssembly-1.html