Thread: Crash Bandicoot (1,2,3 & Spyro) controls not working (using ePSXe emulator)

Thanks

Default Crash Bandicoot (1,2,3 & Spyro) controls not working (using ePSXe emulator)

Sorry, wasn't sure how to word this so please be kind

I have no idea what I'm doing, but am generally good at figuring things out.
    I got everything downloaded, extracted, installed and configured smoothly (followed directions exactly)
    My laptop is running Windows 7
    I tried with and without controller

Crash opens up with the intro but then it says press START. Tried it with and then without my ps3 controller plugged in, just using keyboard and mouse on my laptop...still nothing. All I can do is use my up and down arrows (on the keyboard) to scroll down the menu.
    I tried F5, also tried configuring the gamepad on my emulator menu...changing it to digital only.
    REALLY REALLY wanted to play this game, so if anyone can help me I would appreciate it so much.

Thanks

Hi,

Have you tried binding some other buttons within the emulator, i.e. bind the 'X' button in the emu to a letter key, and see if you can progress beyond the menu?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Crash is a Digital Only game, so make sure the pad is set to Digital rather than Analog

Version 9 of ePSXe should default to digital anyway

http://psxdatacenter.com/ is a good place to start to get basic settings for the game, but if you like post your current settings and I can test if there is an issue with the way you have it currently set up.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

thank you for the replies, I'll get back on in a few after downloading the lastest version It may be that the emulator I dl with the games is not the latest version

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The version should not be an issue to be honest though there may be a general pad issue with older versions for a PS3 pad that I don't use personally so have not tested that kind of issue, also older versions don't auto set the pad type

If your pad drivers have multi mode types make sure it is set to HID (Human Interface Device) I forget what the newer driver standard is...

If you are interested I tend to use a PS2 pad to USB converter aka PS2 to PS3 converter, these use basic HID drivers that work perfect for emulators, I could and have used other pads in the past but stuck with the converter.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-September-2014 at 19:43.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I spent the last couple of hours watching youtube videos, downloading, uninstalling, and doing everything I could think of (along with your suggestions) to try to get this working.
    Ollieburton, I went into the emulator (config> gamepad) and I tried the mouse configuration , and had no change. Still cannot do anything but use the up and down arrows on my keyboard to scroll down the menu. These are my choices on the config menu..no idea what I should do on there, I'm unfortunately not kidding when I say I don't know what i'm doing!
    I can pick things up fairly quickly, but I'm a little overwhelmed here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Config Mouse Digital F5.jpg 
Views:	8154 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	42316
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Digital gamepad.jpg 
Views:	2317 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	42317
    (One difference now that I uninstalled everything and am using a different ePSXe version..still not the latest one since that ended up being a nightmare for me... is that when I hit F5 I do actually see something on the screen now. I believe it says "digital" or "digital gamepad" ..something like that. Still doesn't change anything however)

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    The version should not be an issue to be honest though there may be a general pad issue with older versions for a PS3 pad that I don't use personally so have not tested that kind of issue, also older versions don't auto set the pad type

If your pad drivers have multi mode types make sure it is set to HID (Human Interface Device) I forget what the newer driver standard is...

If you are interested I tend to use a PS2 pad to USB converter aka PS2 to PS3 converter, these use basic HID drivers that work perfect for emulators, I could and have used other pads in the past but stuck with the converter.
    I'm not sure where to go to edit my pad drivers? I'm using motioninjoy, is there something better I could try?
    Also, I would be happy enough playing Crash with just the keyboard, but that doesn't work either, making me wonder if I don't have something configured correctly in the emulator.
    I have tried different versions of the game, and all are the same : only the up and down arrows will respond on the keyboard, and nothing responds on the gamepad.

I understand btw that it can be frustrating trying to explain things like this to someone who has no clue at all! Believe it or not I have done tech support
    Thanks to you both for trying to help!
    Last edited by deadlegion; 11th-September-2014 at 07:19. Reason: merged posts

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It would of been in the settings, but that does not sound like it is the setting for the pad anyway if default keyboard keys are not working either

Did you try the setup listed at psxdatacenter ?

Make sure there are no special fixes on in the graphics plugin either

Also have you played any other games with ePSXe?

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

hi,
    I apologize for not coming back on sooner..I just got kind of overwhelmed/disheartened with all the time and effort I was putting into trying to fix this..had to take a few days off from it and come back at it again!
    I have not played any other games no, but Crash is the only one I was interested in playing (via emulator anyway)

I looked at the site you sent me to, and all the steps with bios and : "4 - Download the graphics plugins, cdrom plugins and audio plugins and extract them in the plugins folder of epsxe"
    was confusing me...so as I said I thought I'd come back at it and try again, not being one to give up!

I'm looking at the site again now and will update you if I figure things out..or don't
    I...just don't know how to figure out which plugins to dl for one thing.

thanks again
    Last edited by Lani; 20th-September-2014 at 00:25.

Thanks

Well I really thought I had it figured out this time..took me a long time. I downloaded everything from the forum you mentioned, and followed the instructions.
    But, in the end I opened it up and was back to the same old thing: up and down arrows only!