Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My original XBOX is having troubles reading the 55 games on the HD.

Thanks

@Ichijoe, It wasnt making a clicking sound, it was more like a quiet pitch.

@Zorlon, My computers are Windows 7 Starter and Windows 8.1 Enterprise

@deadlegion, My XBOX does have a 320GB hard drive which is the one in this thread about it not reading the 55 games on it.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow989 View Post
    @Zorlon, My computers are Windows 7 Starter and Windows 8.1 Enterprise
    O.S. makes no difference at all, I was thinking more about ports internal and external, but I can't see either having IDE ports but I can see both having Network ports, that is all you need to FTP with, well a crossover cable that you can get for dirt cheap

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Yes if your gonna want to get into XBOX Gaming, you'd do very well to either grab a couple of CAT-5 Cables, and patch both your PC and XBOX into your DSL/Cable Router. Such Cables are not very expensive, and it will make pushing *.iso's, Emulators and Homebrews to the XBOX much simpler. In the case of *iso Files I'd use QWIX (on the Avalaunch Dash), to transfer those since its way faster then say using a simpler FTP Program like Filezilla. Which is good enough to transfer everything else.

Thanks

@Ichijoe, thanks for responding! Ok so a week or so ago I downloaded FABLE for the XBOX and I burned it to a TDK DVD-R on 2x and it works great on the XBOX. But of course there is the better and more efficient way of FTPing. Now what I want to know is do you HAVE to have an Internet connection to FTP to your XBOX? I thought you could just move them over. Also I don't have a router either. Can I just get these all from ebay for a cheap price? Thanks.

@Zorlon, Yes well my Windows 8.1 computer has only a network port in the top right hand corner. Same with my Windows 7 Starter computer.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nope you do not need an internet connection to FTP, while you FTP to your Xbox you do not need to be online in any form, you just need a network connection to your PC from your Xbox

This can be done several ways but the fastest connection, is a direct one via a Crossover cable.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 19th-September-2014 at 04:11.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

@Zorlon, Ok so I don't need to be online but I need a network connection? Isn't that the same thing?

Thanks
    EP Points

No you do not need a direct Internet connection. Though its useful for other stuff like XBMC though.
    What you will need is a Router. Chances are fair that you may already have One in your DSL/Cable Modem. Assuming you can run more then just the One Line off of it. In which case you'd just need to get a couple of CAT5 Cables to connect your PC to that Router. (Chances are good that it already is!), and then connect the other up to the XBOX. The DHCP on the Router should automatically give the XBOX an IP address along the lines of 192.168.xxx.xxx.

In the event that you do NOT have a Router. Then you can just buy the single Crossover Cable (If you don't understand it google it), then under Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center change Adapter Settings > Properties > Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) change the "Obtain an IP address automatically" to "Use the following IP address" and use something like 192.168.178.1. Also be sure to change "Obtain DNS server address automatically" to "Use the following DNS server address" 255.255.255.0. For as long as you need to access your XBOX over FTP. Remembering to set those values back once your done.

All you'd need to do then is use Filezilla (Free FTP), feed it that Address (as shown on the XBOX), and use xbox : xbox as the user & password, to connect. Games generally land on F:\Games The C:\ & E:\ Drives are System Drives and it would be best not to touch 'em unless you know what your doing. If you have a G:\ Drive you could also dump your stuff there as well. Though I gather that there's not much need for the G: Drive these days. As most modern Firmwares (i.e. BIOSs) will allow you to just use F:\ now.

BTW: As a word of caution I would advise you to open that XBOX up, and have a good look round those Capacitors. Those things apparently don't last that long. One of the most recommended things for v1.0~v1.5 XBOXes is to remove the RTC Cap. As its known to leak! And eventually eat away at the Mainboard. Even if the Cap looks to be in good condition, its probably still leaking. This was the case when I finally decided to remove mine. More disturbing though were the Caps just under the CPU. Those were thoroughly corroded.

In any case this is the RTC cap that should be removed v1.0~v1.5 ONLY DO NOT TOUCH if you have a v1.6!

These were the Caps under the CPU that I had to replace.
    Last edited by Ichijoe; 19th-September-2014 at 10:35.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ichijoe For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thankyou so much Ichijoe, you have helped me a lot here. So can I confirm that if I don't have a Router I can just buy the single crossover cable and use that? If so what does the Router do if you don't even need it?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You need a network connection just not an online one

You don't need a crossover to use a router, you just need a plain Cat5 cable but the connection will be slower than a direct connection via a crossover cable direct to a PC with a LAN port

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    You need a network connection just not an online one

You don't need a crossover to use a router, you just need a plain Cat5 cable but the connection will be slower than a direct connection via a crossover cable direct to a PC with a LAN port
    A Crossover Cable =/= A simple CAT-5 Ethernet Cable. While its looks quite similar on the outside a Crossover Cable has a completely different wiring inside it. Making it incompatible with normal CAT-5. For further explanation see HERE:

Its probably worth noting, though not very much. That you don't need to spend more on so-called GigE Cable (IIRC CAT-6 Cable), as although your PC likely has the GigE Port. The XBOX only has a BASE10/100 Mbs Connection.

All the Router does is to allow you to connect more Devices either Wired, in the case of the XBOX, or wirelessly in the case of say the PS3, or <Phablet Device>, to your Home Network. Since the Router can automatically deal with stuff like DHCP (i.e. The assigning of local IP Addresses.), it makes the task a lot simpler.

But, since you don't have One. I guess your only other option is to get a Crossover Cable. AND YES YOU DO NEED TO ASK FOR IT BY NAME! (See above!)

Basically IIRC. Its been quite some time since I used that method myself, is to...

Go to the Control Panel (In some Windows or other. YMMV!), and find the Network Settings. Their you need to find the Settings to your PCs Ethernet Device. Once you found it you have to go to Properties, and change the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Settings from "Automatic" to "Use the following". It shouldn't really matter what IP Addy you give it. But something along the lines of 192.168.xxx.xxx are considered to be Local Net.

The next thing you have to set up again is the DNS Server VERY IMPORTANT! As this is what will allow you to setup all the Subnets on your Local Network. This usually looks like 255.255.255.0. Again IIRC that should in theory allow up to 255 single Devices to connect. At any One time. To the base IP.

It is also IMPORTANT for your sanity latter on to remember to switch these Settings back to Automatic once your done. As you WILL loose your Internet connection which has its own DNS, and IP Address.

As to the Router being slower then the Crossover Cable? I'm not about to test it out. Even though I guess I could if only for a goof! But, I have this feeling of BS washing up over me. If anything TODAY is the bottleneck in the Network it would be the XBOX itself. Since it only has the standard Fast Ethernet 10/100BaseTX Connection. But, since my current Router... A Fritzbox 7170 also only has 10/100BASE-TX wired Ports. (Thankfully I'll be retiring it soon for a new Fritzbox. Which will then have both GigE, and 802.11, and 802.11 a & n connections!), Its not like I'm giving up any speed.

The only other possibly good outcome from having this kind of Network, along with a second NIC (i.e. Network Interface Card), is to possibly connect to such Services like XBConnect, or X-Link Kai. Since you have to have the "Software" running on your PC to even use them. Which is kinda cool I guess. Not as cool as being able to run it off a Router, as we used to do. before they ditched it that is.
    Last edited by Ichijoe; 20th-September-2014 at 09:11.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ichijoe For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thankyou for helping me a lot. I am going to get a Crossover cable to FTP to my xbox. I am also going to probably get a new IDE HDD for the XBOX instead of the bad one that isn't reading.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thankyou for helping me a lot. I am going to get a Crossover cable to FTP to my xbox. I am also going to probably get a new IDE HDD for the XBOX instead of the bad one that isn't reading.
    I would advise you to check and see what kind of Mod your running (i.e. Chip (IMHO THE BEST!), TSOP Flash (Second best), or Softmod), first. Knowing this will make your life a lot simpler in the long run TRUST ME!

I'm not the guy to ask about Softmods, as I really don't know jack about it. I tried it once back in '04, and I didn't like it at all as I found it to be both very unstable, and highly brickable. Which is why I went with the Chip back then. Though I'm sure some Chips still exist for the XBOX. Today you're almost better off just TSOP flashing the thing. Assuming again that its NOT a v1.6 XBOX.

That said does that XBOX have Configmagic installed on it? If so RUN IT! Note the HDD Key. While its a good idea to write the Pass Key down. All you need to know is that you can lock and unlock the HDD with the Master Password "TEAMASSEMBLY" (all caps!) either from the XBOX or the PC. From a Real DOS Boot Disk using the ATAPWD.exe File.

Under normal conditions (i.e. Stock), an unlocked HDD will present itself as an Error 5. A HDD that was previously locked inside a different XBOX will give you an Error 6. While its possible for both Chiped and TSOP flashed XBOXes to ignore the Error 5 (Unlocked), and still boot up. Even those Systems can not unlock the Drive with out the proper Per-console HDD Key.

There may be some people who will tell you that you can only use certain kinds of HDD (that can be locked). Basically pretty much every HDD now since ATA-66 CAN BE LOCKED! Its part of the ATA Standard! So pretty much whatever your gonna end up replacing that Drive with will work.

That said.... I think it may be wise to unlock the HDD from the XBOX, and reformat it under Windows, and run a CHKDSK over it. To check for any bad sectors on the Drive. Afterwards I'd download an *.iso Image of the Slayers EvoX Auto Installer. And burn that to a DVD-R. Again if your chiped... This should be a breeze! And, that should net you a nice fresh XBOX to work with.

If on the other hand, the Drive is indeed dying out on you. Then you might want to look into getting a S-ATA to P-ATA Converter, which should allow you to use a S-ATA HDD in the otherwise P-ATA ONLY! XBOX.

PROS: Cheaper, and vastly larger storage space then the 750GB MAX of P-ATA Good luck finding a P-ATA Drive in >2014
    CONS: I've heard that the loading times are slightly longer. Not that you'd probably notice much.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijoe View Post
    I would advise you to check and see what kind of Mod your running (i.e. Chip (IMHO THE BEST!), TSOP Flash (Second best), or Softmod), first. Knowing this will make your life a lot simpler in the long run TRUST ME!

I'm not the guy to ask about Softmods, as I really don't know jack about it. I tried it once back in '04, and I didn't like it at all as I found it to be both very unstable, and highly brickable. Which is why I went with the Chip back then. Though I'm sure some Chips still exist for the XBOX. Today you're almost better off just TSOP flashing the thing. Assuming again that its NOT a v1.6 XBOX.

That said does that XBOX have Configmagic installed on it? If so RUN IT! Note the HDD Key. While its a good idea to write the Pass Key down. All you need to know is that you can lock and unlock the HDD with the Master Password "TEAMASSEMBLY" (all caps!) either from the XBOX or the PC. From a Real DOS Boot Disk using the ATAPWD.exe File.

Under normal conditions (i.e. Stock), an unlocked HDD will present itself as an Error 5. A HDD that was previously locked inside a different XBOX will give you an Error 6. While its possible for both Chiped and TSOP flashed XBOXes to ignore the Error 5 (Unlocked), and still boot up. Even those Systems can not unlock the Drive with out the proper Per-console HDD Key.

There may be some people who will tell you that you can only use certain kinds of HDD (that can be locked). Basically pretty much every HDD now since ATA-66 CAN BE LOCKED! Its part of the ATA Standard! So pretty much whatever your gonna end up replacing that Drive with will work.

That said.... I think it may be wise to unlock the HDD from the XBOX, and reformat it under Windows, and run a CHKDSK over it. To check for any bad sectors on the Drive. Afterwards I'd download an *.iso Image of the Slayers EvoX Auto Installer. And burn that to a DVD-R. Again if your chiped... This should be a breeze! And, that should net you a nice fresh XBOX to work with.

If on the other hand, the Drive is indeed dying out on you. Then you might want to look into getting a S-ATA to P-ATA Converter, which should allow you to use a S-ATA HDD in the otherwise P-ATA ONLY! XBOX.

PROS: Cheaper, and vastly larger storage space then the 750GB MAX of P-ATA Good luck finding a P-ATA Drive in >2014
    CONS: I've heard that the loading times are slightly longer. Not that you'd probably notice much.
    A mod chip is being used in this instance "DUOX 3"

So most options are going to be easy, I know how hard it is to get things up and running for a softmod myself as that is all I use myself, though I should maybe look into a TSOP.

Configmagic is just a very good idea to note down the key and or unlock the drive if it is locked, the current corrupt drive is still possibly in a good working order anyway just needs to be cleaned up (unformatted/formatted/partitioned) as above

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Right, so my XBOX is chipped with "DUOX 3" and it is softmodded with "Evolution X". I did this a while ago but I still have it, I did it with SID 5.11 Final or 5.12 (I can't remember) because I thought the problem was the chip (like it was flakey or something).
    Can any of you tell me if this is bad for my XBOX if it is double modded?

Also can any of you please tell me what TSOP flashing is?, and with Configmagic v1.6 FINAL can I use this on my v1.1 - v1.5 XBOX?

PS: I don't have Configmagic

Thanks
    EP Points

Right, so my XBOX is chipped with "DUOX 3" and it is softmodded with "Evolution X". I did this a while ago but I still have it, I did it with SID 5.11 Final or 5.12 (I can't remember) because I thought the problem was the chip (like it was flakey or something).
    Can any of you tell me if this is bad for my XBOX if it is double modded?

Also can any of you please tell me what TSOP flashing is?, and with Configmagic v1.6 FINAL can I use this on my v1.1 - v1.5 XBOX?

PS: I don't have Configmagic
    If your "Chipped" (and it seems like you are!), then you're definitely NOT Softmoded. A Softmod is a Software only Mod that needs an explicit Game Save Hack (AFAIK: 007 Agent Under Fire, Splinter Cell and Mech Assault are the only known Games to work!), the Games have to be the original retail version, as opposed to say backups (duh!). And they should where possible be the original (i.e. Not the Greatest Hits (Value), Editions of those Games. The biggest "Trick" is to actually get the the Game Save File(s) onto the XBOX. Which usually evolves some kind of Controller or Cable Mod. As the Game Ports on the XBOX are basically just USB1.x Ports any way.

Thankfully you don't have to worry about any of this!

Again the best advice at the moment is to turn the XBOX on and, boot to EvoX.. (Another suggestion would be to change the Dash to something better like Avalaunch, or XBMC.) then scroll down to "System Management" press (A), then "Launch Apps from HDD" press (A), scroll down the list till you find ConfigMagic and then press (A) again. When prompted press the Start Button.

The only things you should probably note here are the:
    Unique HDD Key and the
    Current HDD unlock password + Status. (i.e. Locked or unlocked).

But really the MOST IMPORTANT thing to know is that the Master Password has been changed from whatever it was (if it ever had one!), to "TEAMASSEMBLY" < As long as you know that you can if needed use that to either lock or unlock the HDD from a PC.

Then take the now unlocked HDD out of the XBOX and format it under Windows. Assuming that your PC still supports P-ATA (IDE) that is! And fire up a CHKDSK on it.

While that's going on I'd also advise you to download and burn this to a DVD-R: Slayers EvoX Auto Installer v2.7 (Install Disc)
    With this Disc, and your Chip modded XBOX, it'll be a breeze to chuck in any 'ol HDD into it and use this Disc to setup all the correct Partitions and Files for you. I just recently used this to upgrade my XBOX HDD from a old 120GB HDD to a newer 250GB One. The process is very straight forward and simple, but it will take a while to install everything though.