Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: My original XBOX is having troubles reading the 55 games on the HD.

Thanks

Default My original XBOX is having troubles reading the 55 games on the HD.

Hi Everyone,
    I have bought an original XBOX from a shop that sells secondhand consoles and stuff. There was 55 XBOX games on the HD with a modchip named "DUOX 3" but since I have bought the console over time the games are starting to not read from the HD. I have tried looking all over the internet for a solution to this but the only thing that has come up is that is to clean the cache which I have done but to no avail. Can somebody please help me?

Thankyou!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

HDD might be suspect, like data has been corrupted but it's still kinda usable I would think the drive would be unusable if there was a serious issue though. Seems odd that your games have become unreadable.
    With the Duo x3 you should be able to just pull out that HDD and put in another one (this will not do anything to your old HDD, you can still put it back in if you want to). Then use Slayers disc to format/rebuild the new HDD and add some software that comes on the Slayers disc. Please note some software eg: DVD2Xbox will probably be older version so you might want to update afterwards, but not really necessary if you just ftp all your games/software.

Spoiler warning:

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thankyou for responding!
    Well some games are readable like DOOM 3, The Elder Scrolls Morrowind, Alter Echo and Deus Ex. But it is strange that it doesn't read the others! The games that are on the HDD were not mine it was the person who modded it and put the games on it (i think). I searched the place who did my mod and it was a flakey place that doesn't have its own website! I think it probably is my HDD that it has started to wear or something like that . Also how do I get "Slayers Disk" and how do I FTP?
    Last edited by Shadow989; 9th-September-2014 at 21:38.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow989 View Post
    Thankyou for responding!
    Well some games are readable like DOOM 3, The Elder Scrolls Morrowind, Alter Echo and Deus Ex. But it is strange that it doesn't read the others! The games that are on the HDD were not mine it was the person who modded it and put the games on it (i think). I searched the place who did my mod and it was a flakey place that doesn't have its own website! I think it probably is my HDD that it has started to wear or something like that . Also how do I get "Slayers Disk" and how do I FTP?
    Install Qwix on your PC for ftp stuff. It can also be used to rebuild .iso images from ripped xbox game files that you might encounter.

Xbox master list is your friend

Slayers 2.7 :
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...STALL-DISC%29*

Qwix 1.01 :
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...acting-amp-FTP

dvd2xbox 0.7.8 :
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...xbox-v0-7-8-R2

Spoiler warning:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Ok, so I have Quix already. But with the Slayers 2.7 what disk do I burn this to? Like a CD-RW? And FTP, I don't have Ethernet .

Thanks
    EP Points

Ok, so I have Quix already. But with the Slayers 2.7 what disk do I burn this to? Like a CD-RW? And FTP, I don't have Ethernet .
    Burn Slayers to DVD using imgburn or whatever.
    Um yeah you need wired cat5 crossover cable as a minimum. But if you have a network switch or an old router/switch lying around use that & 2 standard cat5 cables.
    I have used both methods, but I haven't bothered using my crossover cable for years now.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Ok thankyou but I don't have anything to do with modems only pocket wifi. I also thought you could burn Slayers to a CD-RW as I do not have a DVD burner in my computer.

Thanks
    EP Points

Ok thankyou but I don't have anything to do with modems only pocket wifi. I also thought you could burn Slayers to a CD-RW as I do not have a DVD burner in my computer.
    Your options are:
    1. Buy a crossover cable, connect one end to your computer and one end to your xbox.
    2. get an old router/switch from someone that doesn't need it (people throw old ones away because they're "worthless") and use 2 standard cables.

As for re-writable discs; I'm not sure if they work on xbox optical drives there are different drives and I'm also not sure if that makes a difference.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 10th-September-2014 at 09:17.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

you will need to burn to dvd -r . most xbox drives are picky with rw + and cd discs.all xbox drives will read dvd - r .i use maxell max data dvd - r and have never had an issue.
    systems i own .n64 x 2 (watermelon and atomic green), gamecube x 3 (1 chipped indigo 1 reg indigo and a silver), wii x 2 (both white 1st editions), genesis x 2 (both hdg with and without tmss), saturn (version 2 80000A), dreamcast x 2 (both white and black ),ps1 x 7 (2 chipped 1 audiophile 1 mini 3 reg),ps2 x 3 (1 clear 1 blue both with 320 gb hd ),ps3 160 gb (super slim) , 360 slim 120 gb , 360 arcade 60 gb ,xbox x 9 (1 orange ghost case 1 tb hd ,1 green ghost case 500 gb ,1 purple ghost case 500 gb ,1 le halo 250 gb , 1 reg 160 for xbmc and 3 reg stock)

Thanks
    EP Points

That sounds right, I honestly couldn't remember and wasn't sure. But with Maxwell I would only use them if they were Ritek manufactured, if they're CMC or some other crap; no (not sure if that brand uses discs made in India too, they're just as bad if not worse than CMC).

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Possible reasons for corruptness

HDD has not been formatted correctly so less space is readable to what has been used (Not sure this effects mod chip users)
    HDD is full so the last few games have only been able to copy some of the file but not all of the games data files
    Save count has reached it's limit so no more saves can be created
    File/Folder depth has reached it's limit
    HDD copy of game has not been correctly fixed to run from HDD
    Data has become corrupt when it was originally copied

I only have 2 xbox's a 1.6 and a 1.2 or 1.3 (it detects as a 1.2/1.3 so not 100% sure) anyway both are PAL and both read CD-R & DVD+R just fine, they both struggle with DVD-R and RW's (all media types) though, make what you want with that as it is only with 2 xbox's it may be that version 1.0 has a drive that is pre DVD+R, but I wouldn't know one way or the other there, RW read issues is not an unusual thing though for consoles.

RW's do read though, but seems to be at a slower rate and with a higher chance of read errors, I found the same with DVD-R's, the better ones, more with the 1.2/1.3 DVD drive less problems with the 1.6 but still issues with the 1.6 drive that I now use in the 1.2/1.3, then again I find RW discs are not that reliable for very long anyway in general
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-September-2014 at 19:13.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Possible reasons for corruptness
    HDD is full so the last few games have only been able to copy some of the file but not all of the games data files
    My HDD still has 179GB free for space but ages ago I deleted some sports games like "Madden" because, of course, they are boring. So maybe before I deleted those games thats probably what took space. But that still doesn't explain why in the first place when I bought the second hand XBOX all of the games worked fine but one day none of them worked! SO WEIRD!

Thanks
    EP Points

I checked last night and pretty much everything I have burned to disc is on DVD-R. My main console is 1.6 chipped.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Ok then, so is the problem the corruption on the HDD? If so, how much is a new one for an original xbox? Maybe like the one that I have which is a 320GB one. Please suggest one that is affordable or one that you have personally had experiences with that has worked. Thankyou!

Thanks
    EP Points

Ok then, so is the problem the corruption on the HDD? If so, how much is a new one for an original xbox? Maybe like the one that I have which is a 320GB one. Please suggest one that is affordable or one that you have personally had experiences with that has worked. Thankyou!
    Just use any old IDE HDD (like older computers use), I've used different brands and swapped sizes heaps of times

Spoiler warning: