Thread: Issues running Mupen64plus on Android

Thanks
    EP Points

Angry Issues running Mupen64plus on Android

I'm using Retroarch which includes the 'Mupen64plus' emulator. I've been able to run every N64 rom I've thrown at it, but the quality of the gameplay is not very good.. lots of video/audio stutters, and lag. The device also starts to burn my hands after about 10-15 minutes of playtime, though that might be normal. If you're in last place in F-Zero X, the gameplay is smooth as butter until coming up on a group of racers, from that point there is much lag (and heartache, lel).

I'm running Mupen on a Nexus 7 2012 (tablet) with default settings:

Audio
    -Enable audio = on
    -Dynamic rate control = on
    -Audio Latency = 64ms (low)
    -Automatically detect audio latency = on

Video
    -Aspect Ratio = Auto
    -VSync = on
    -Auto-rotate = on
    -Scale Integer = off
    -Threaded video driver = on
    -Forced refresh rate (hz) = 60
    -Bilinear filter = on
    -First pass shader = off
    -On-screen fonts = on

I've turned the refresh rate down to 30, turned the 'bilinear filter' off, and turned off the 'threaded video driver', but neither of them combined seem to help gameplay.. it seems exactly the same?
    Last edited by Double44; 17th-August-2014 at 21:14.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

N64 emulation is just very heavy for an andriod device alot more so than PSX emulation is, your machine is getting hot because it's using everything it has to offer

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Try using N64oid. I used it on a Huawii y210 (seriously look it up as it's a lot less spec wise)

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?80762-N64oid

I used this and didn't have too much of a problem but mind I only tried out Mario64 and Mariokart which aren't exactly the most demanding games around.

Keep in mind as Zorlon said N64 can be heavy (especially for something like Goldeneye) and is far from perfect too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zaladane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    N64 emulation is just very heavy for an andriod device alot more so than PSX emulation is, your machine is getting hot because it's using everything it has to offer
    ..more than the PS1? i know they came from the same generation, but dang.. compared to discs, cartridges don't strike me as being very performance heavy

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    Try using N64oid. I used it on a Huawii y210 (seriously look it up as it's a lot less spec wise)

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?80762-N64oid

I used this and didn't have too much of a problem but mind I only tried out Mario64 and Mariokart which aren't exactly the most demanding games around.

Keep in mind as Zorlon said N64 can be heavy (especially for something like Goldeneye) and is far from perfect too.
    Yes I may try a different emulator, but like keeping my gamesaves under one emulator.

I've asked the question before, but am gonna ask again to be sure---can an N64 gamesave created on one emulator be used on a different emulator? Are all N64 emus created equal when it comes to saving?
    Last edited by Double44; 19th-August-2014 at 01:41.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Double44 View Post
    can an N64 gamesave created on one emulator be used on a different emulator? Are all N64 emus created equal when it comes to saving?
    Generally speaking as long as both emulators create save files with the same file extension they will work interchangeably; this goes for most emulators for most consoles. It's usually more likely that they'll use different save state file types, so those won't be interchangeable.

One thing to watch out for is that, even if both emulators use the same file type, they might name saves differently. Some will give them the same name as the rom used, others will use different naming conventions (So say, MarioWorld.smc might make MarioWorld.sav on one, but make something like Super Mario World(U).sav on another).
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MaslowK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    Generally speaking as long as both emulators create save files with the same file extension they will work interchangeably; this goes for most emulators for most consoles. It's usually more likely that they'll use different save state file types, so those won't be interchangeable.

One thing to watch out for is that, even if both emulators use the same file type, they might name saves differently. Some will give them the same name as the rom used, others will use different naming conventions (So say, MarioWorld.smc might make MarioWorld.sav on one, but make something like Super Mario World(U).sav on another).
    Could the MarioWorld.sav still be read using a rom titled Super Mario World.sfc, or do both have to be titled the same?

There's also the different rom extensions.. for instance, the SNES has .sfc and .smc. Could a save created by a .sfc rom be read when using a .smc rom?
    Last edited by Double44; 21st-August-2014 at 00:33.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

..more than the PS1? i know they came from the same generation, but dang.. compared to discs, cartridges don't strike me as being very performance heavy
    More to do with the hardware you're trying to emulate really. But yeah it's heavy for how old it is.
    As already mentioned some particular games (Goldeneye) are even more demanding on top of the hardware issue.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 21st-August-2014 at 00:52.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Could the MarioWorld.sav still be read using a rom titled Super Mario World.sfc, or do both have to be titled the same?
    What I was getting at is that what the .sav needs to be named depends on the emulator. So if say the emulator you used gave your .sav a different name than the rom, you wouldn't want to rename the save if using that same emulator. If you went to use that same save on a different emulator, say one that makes .sav files with the same name as your rom, then you'd want to give it the same name as your rom.

There's also the different rom extensions.. for instance, the SNES has .sfc and .smc. Could a save created by a .sfc rom be read when using a .smc rom?
    In the case of SNES roms, .smc and .sfc files are the same thing; you could even rename one to the other and it would still work. Unless the emulator uses the sfc/smc bit as part of the save files name (i've never seen SNES emulators do this though) it won't make a difference.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"