Thread: Is it possible to extract sound files from a rom?

Thanks
    EP Points

Question Is it possible to extract sound files from a rom?

I want to extract sound files from my NES/SNES/N64 roms to make ringtones, using Audacity. Is this possible and if so, how? It seems like it would be super easy..?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Double44 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Not NES or SNES. I cannot vouch for N64, but NES uses all code to produce sound and the SNES uses entirely short sound samples also arranged via code. you will have to record the sounds yourself.

lecture:

Spoiler warning:
    The NES has what is called a PSG or programmable sound generator which is built into the video chip. To produce sounds, registers are loaded with data for a period of time to produce sounds. For example, a sweep register, frequency register, enable, sound length, sweep length, attack, decay, etc. Thorugh very time-precise software routines, the sound registers are loaded , set, reset and loaded again; even to produce a simple Do Re Mi if you will. What I mean to say is that the NES does not contain Sound files, it contains something along the lines of:

LD A, %10010101
    LDH 0xFF14, A
    LD A, %11111111
    LDH 0xFF13, A
    LD A, %10010001
    LDH 0xFF10, A
    LD A, %10010001

LDH 0xFF11, A
    CALL WAIT
    LD A, %10100000
    LDH 0xFF11, A
    CALL WAIT
    LD A, %10101000
    LDH 0xFF11, A
    CALL WAIT

LDH 0xFF10, A
    LD A, %00000000

RETI

Lets say that this conditions a few register and then plays three tones for 1 second each and then shut off sound. That is not something you can simply extract.
    *All above memory address are hypothetical.

I suggest finding the game you want to record from, loading it in an emulator, shutting off the sound channels associated with character or enemy sound effects and recording with Audacity.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazzmarazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

We actually have a whole ton of video game music right on the main site in MP3/FLAC format, which you can find here. It isn't terribly comprehensive and doesn't seem to be organized by console, but it might be a good place to start. There are other sources for game MP3s you can find through google as well.

Another option is to download the game soundtracks in their native format. The file sizes are often much smaller, and they can be converted to MP3 using a combination of Winamp and plugins for these special formats. Here's a guide to doing it with SNES music files; http://www.ehow.com/how_5087111_convert-spc-mp.html. This will probably work with any consoles music, so long as you have an appropriate Winamp plugin to play them.

The best source I've found for these types of soundtracks is http://www.zophar.net/music.html.
    Last edited by MaslowK; 11th-August-2014 at 01:44.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MaslowK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    Not NES or SNES. I cannot vouch for N64, but NES uses all code to produce sound and the SNES uses entirely short sound samples also arranged via code. you will have to record the sounds yourself.

lecture:

Spoiler warning:
    The NES has what is called a PSG or programmable sound generator which is built into the video chip. To produce sounds, registers are loaded with data for a period of time to produce sounds. For example, a sweep register, frequency register, enable, sound length, sweep length, attack, decay, etc. Thorugh very time-precise software routines, the sound registers are loaded , set, reset and loaded again; even to produce a simple Do Re Mi if you will. What I mean to say is that the NES does not contain Sound files, it contains something along the lines of:

LD A, %10010101
    LDH 0xFF14, A
    LD A, %11111111
    LDH 0xFF13, A
    LD A, %10010001
    LDH 0xFF10, A
    LD A, %10010001

LDH 0xFF11, A
    CALL WAIT
    LD A, %10100000
    LDH 0xFF11, A
    CALL WAIT
    LD A, %10101000
    LDH 0xFF11, A
    CALL WAIT

LDH 0xFF10, A
    LD A, %00000000

RETI

Lets say that this conditions a few register and then plays three tones for 1 second each and then shut off sound. That is not something you can simply extract.
    *All above memory address are hypothetical.

I suggest finding the game you want to record from, loading it in an emulator, shutting off the sound channels associated with character or enemy sound effects and recording with Audacity.
    Thanks for the advice Considering the age of NES/SNES, i was hoping the files were in a simple wav/ogg container of some kind.. that's too bad! :/

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    We actually have a whole ton of video game music right on the main site in MP3/FLAC format, which you can find here. It isn't terribly comprehensive and doesn't seem to be organized by console, but it might be a good place to start. There are other sources for game MP3s you can find through google as well.

Another option is to download the game soundtracks in their native format. The file sizes are often much smaller, and they can be converted to MP3 using a combination of Winamp and plugins for these special formats. Here's a guide to doing it with SNES music files; http://www.ehow.com/how_5087111_convert-spc-mp.html. This will probably work with any consoles music, so long as you have an appropriate Winamp plugin to play them.

The best source I've found for these types of soundtracks is http://www.zophar.net/music.html.
    Good resources, thanks! I'm mainly looking for sound effects, but there are tons of musics on this site too.. good FLAC collection