Firstly, I apologize if this is the wrong area. If it is, please inform me of the proper area and I will repost there.

So here goes, I've been a fan of Pokemon Rom Hacking for nearly a decade now and I've often wondered at the possibilities of 'hacking' other consoles and their titles.

Here are my concerns, in no particular order:
  • Emulator compatibility
  • Accessability
  • Rom Hosts not allowing 'hacks'
  • Community not supporting the idea

That last one is actually what has prevented me from posting such a thread in the past, on nearly every website/forum I've ever seen for Romulation and Rom Hacking. (Most Rom Hacking sites are already established solely as Pokemon Hacking sites)

Just in case any of the readers are unclear, here is a short excerpt describing Rom Hacking.

Quote from Wikipedia:
ROM hacking is the process of modifying a video game ROM image to alter the game's graphics, dialogue, levels, gameplay, or other elements. This is usually done by technically inclined video game fans to breathe new life into a cherished old game, as a creative outlet, or to make essentially new unofficial games using the old game's engine.
Link to the aforementioned page.

Please let it be known that Rom Hacking and "Cracking" are two very different things. Cracking is illegal. Rom Hacking is not (be wary of Cease and Desist orders though, if you make a game that is too close to the original)

In recent years we have seen a couple of tools for games on other systems, such as Utility of Time (Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time) but that's one game. What about the thousands, possibly millions of other games out there?

The more I play classic games such as Legend of Mana, Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Legaia, Final Fantasy (first to ninth), et cetera, the more curious I get at the prospect of being able to hack these games. But again, is there a community that would appreciate such, possibly even create other hacks?

This is my 5th post, and my first in a couple of years. Hope that doesn't affect your potential support. If you have any specific questions I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Thank you for reading,
LuBu0369