Thread: Horrible Upload Speed

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Horrible Upload Speed

Hey guys, i called my phone company and they gave me no help whatsoever with making my upload speed any better, so I was hoping you guys had some sort of idea if I can fix that myself through router settings or something? They didn't even seem to know that upload speed was a thing. For reference my ISP is Consolidated, and they're pretty notorious for being just, awful.

My speed test is also not super cool.

Thanks
    EP Points

If possible, try connecting directly to your router with ethernet if you aren't already and see if that helps. If you're connecting wirelessly in the same room, this shouldn't be as much of an issue. If you are using wireless there's a chance that your wireless is broadcasting on the same channel as some of your neighbors, which can interfere with your speeds and overall signal strength significantly.

You can also try resetting your modem and router; just power them both off, wait a minute, plug the modem back in, wait another minute, then finally plug the router back in and wait for it to initialize (i.e., for your connection to come back on your computer).

Another thing to keep in mind is that, if you're on a cable connection (connected through coaxial, not a phone line) it's most likely set up on whats called a "node" that you and your neighbors share. In this case if your neighbors are heavy internet users, that can also have a detrimental affect on your speeds. Not much you can do if this is the case.
    Last edited by MaslowK; 9th-August-2014 at 05:01.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    If possible, try connecting directly to your router with ethernet if you aren't already and see if that helps. If you're connecting wirelessly in the same room, this shouldn't be as much of an issue. If you are using wireless there's a chance that your wireless is broadcasting on the same channel as some of your neighbors, which can interfere with your speeds and overall signal strength significantly.

You can also try resetting your modem and router; just power them both off, wait a minute, plug the modem back in, wait another minute, then finally plug the router back in and wait for it to initialize (i.e., for your connection to come back on your computer).

Another thing to keep in mind is that, if you're on a cable connection (connected through coaxial, not a phone line) it's most likely set up on whats called a "node" that you and your neighbors share. In this case if your neighbors are heavy internet users, that can also have a detrimental affect on your speeds. Not much you can do if this is the case.
    Thanks for the reply.

I have my computer plugged in through ethernet, and no neighbors around me even know that wifi exists.
    I also reset already when I was on the phone with my ISP as well as changing some number that I'm not sure what it really was. It didn't really change anything, so I was thinking I may have just changed what channel my wifi broadcasts on.

Anyway I really appreciate you trying to give me a hand. If I may, I had another question. After upgrading from 6 to 10 mbps my ping in online games went from a pretty consistent 50 to a consistent 100-120, and I was curious if you knew why that would happen.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, assuming you haven't changed anything on your end I can only imagine the ping issue has to be something on their end, though I couldn't tell you what exactly. IME 100-120 ping isn't terrible; mine sometimes gets a bit worse over a wireless connection and games like Starcraft and Team Fortress 2 seem to work fine online. Could always try calling and see if it gets them as confused as asking about upload speeds, if nothing else it might be good for a laugh :p
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"