Thread: PAL CRT Television

Thanks
    EP Points

Default PAL CRT Television

Does anyone know where I can buy a PAL CRT TV that can be shipped to or within the US?
    I want to get a PAL TV so that I can properly use European game consoles. I've seen the newer multi-system LCDs and such, but I'm not looking to pay $300+. Also, I don't want to have to deal with all the issues newer TVs can have with older video game consoles.
    Basically I am looking for a single PAL TV at a reasonable price. If anyone has any information, I would appreciate it.

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,268 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

You can't even give CRT TVs away in the UK...

I'm not sure what power supply PAL sets from Europe use, but if you get one from the UK, then it's 230v, that will need some sort of step up transformer. Try eBay, but expect the shipping to be expensive. There are also old computer monitors that take scart connections, off the top of my head, I think the Commodore 1080 and 1084 work for PAL when using the RGB connections. Best to do some research if you decide on a 1080 or 1084 just to make sure it supports all the different inputs.

As for using newer TVs, try looking into up scaler units such as the XRGB-mini Framemeister. I know you said cost was an issue, but that's probably the best solution for what you need.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhammer View Post
    You can't even give CRT TVs away in the UK...

I'm not sure what power supply PAL sets from Europe use, but if you get one from the UK, then it's 230v, that will need some sort of step up transformer. Try eBay, but expect the shipping to be expensive. There are also old computer monitors that take scart connections, off the top of my head, I think the Commodore 1080 and 1084 work for PAL when using the RGB connections. Best to do some research if you decide on a 1080 or 1084 just to make sure it supports all the different inputs.

As for using newer TVs, try looking into up scaler units such as the XRGB-mini Framemeister. I know you said cost was an issue, but that's probably the best solution for what you need.
    Thanks, I may go for a 1080 or 1084 if I can get one.
    I've checked eBay, but old CRTs are in such low demand, no one puts anything up other than fancier professional models.

P.S. If you know someone or if you yourself would put a PAL CRT up on eBay, I would be willing to buy it. Also, since I don't particularly care about shipping time, you or someone else could select the cheapest shipping option and I would be fine with it. If you or anyone else would be interested in this, then just PM me.

I really have looked around on the internet to find a PAL CRT for sale, but the best I found was on the German eBay site and I would have had to pick it up in person.
    Last edited by grandta13; 2nd-August-2014 at 11:12.

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,268 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

The cost of shipping would be more than the TV is worth, even a portable TV weighs quite a bit, so a larger model can easily be 60kg. I wouldn't want to even guess how much it would cost. Given that most CRTs are over 10-15 years old, they may not last much longer.

Here's a list on UK eBay, maybe one of them will ship if you offer to pay, but it looks like most are pick up only.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Television...Technology=CRT

Sony 14" Trinitron + remote 99p collection only...

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhammer View Post
    The cost of shipping would be more than the TV is worth, even a portable TV weighs quite a bit, so a larger model can easily be 60kg. I wouldn't want to even guess how much it would cost. Given that most CRTs are over 10-15 years old, they may not last much longer.

Here's a list on UK eBay, maybe one of them will ship if you offer to pay, but it looks like most are pick up only.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Television...Technology=CRT

Sony 14" Trinitron + remote 99p collection only...
    I'll look into that. I hadn't considered contacting the sellers before, and all the sellers I've found that already ship internationally from the UK usually charge £25 for airmail. I don't know if that price is just a product of the UK's export policy or if a fee like that is simply unavoidable. I'll do more research on international shipping rates before continuing.

(I don't know about Europe, but many of the imports I've gotten from Japan have costed as little as $5 USD in shipping.)

EDIT: Does anyone know what the compatibility between PAL types is? From what I've found there are B, G, H, I, D, M, N, and Combination N types, though I don't know which (if any) types can work with each other.

EDIT: Sorry, I don't want to propagate any misinformation; the $5 was usually for low-weight items; the point that I was trying to make was that Japanese imports of comprable weight tend to cost less than European imports (in my experience).
    Last edited by grandta13; 20th-August-2014 at 14:53.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by grandta13 View Post
    (I don't know about Europe, but many of the imports I've gotten from Japan have costed as little as $5 USD in shipping.)

EDIT: Does anyone know what the compatibility between PAL types is? From what I've found there are B, G, H, I, D, M, N, and Combination N types, though I don't know which (if any) types can work with each other.
    Import a RGB SCART cable (do not get a SCART Converter/Adapter they do not work the same as a SCART cable) for the consoles you plan to use on the PAL set then it will not matter about B, G, H, I, D, M, N types, plus that is the best SD cable you can get for picture quality

Obviously make sure the TV has a SCART port, most PAL CRT TV's do but not all

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Most Euro PAL crt's have scart, but local ones here rarely did. Only certain brand models that were Euro types but also sold here.
    Most of the local stuff had multi inputs (composite, s-video and component...sometimes multiples of) which I actually prefer as most of the scart tv's I've seen here don't have multi scart (I think I recall one unit having 2 scart sockets).

Spoiler warning: