Thread: Any benefits to reflowing a working PS3?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Any benefits to reflowing a working PS3?

A little background; I've got one of the older fat model PS3s and at the moment it works perfectly fine, has never had the YLOD issue as far as I know (bought it used, pre-softmodded). Only issue is the blu-ray drive doesn't work; previous owner said they tried replacing the laser, worked fine for a couple weeks then stopped, stuck the old laser back in, same thing. No idea what that's all about, but there are a few shops nearby I can have that looked at eventually, no biggie. I went down to the nearest one and asked about the blu-ray issue, they said they'd need to look at it to see what's up, makes sense.

Now on the topic of reflows. I was also told by the guy there that even if your console isn't having any obvious issues that, unrelated to the blu-ray thing, I should pay them to reflow the console as well, calling it a precautionary measure and also saying it would help with heat dispersion. Keep in mind this is all before having actually looked at it.

From what I understand, a reflow is done to re-seat particular components on the motherboard that have come loose and/or to fix bad solder joints. My thinking here is that, given how old the hardware is and that it's never had the YLOD issue, that it isn't super likely that it will anytime soon. I also don't quite understand how old/bad solder joints would contribute to overheating; if anything, I would expect there to be more obvious serious issues if any were bad.

All that said, would I be right in thinking that maybe this shop is trying to pull one over on me by suggesting unnecessary services, or would it actually be prudent to do a reflow?
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

I have this exact same issue. Bought a used CHECHA01 and its bluray drive does not work. It won't accept or eject discs, the blue light will just flash. I recently bought a replacement drive and replaced it... only to find it doing the exact same thing. Guy I bought the drive from said it isn't the drive, it is either one of the ribbon cables or, more seriously, the logic board (which is individually tied to each PS3 system so I don't believe is replaceable?) Additionally the thing is very loud and gets very hot. It literally sounds like a jet engine and is roasting within minutes.

Thanks
    EP Points

Sorry, but the guys feeding you a load of crap. There's no need to reflow the console unless you encounter the YLOD (a reflow would actually cause more harm than good at the minute).

I'm going to explain as best I can

Due to stupid EU regulations leaded solder was banned, leading to the PS3 and Xbox 360 using lead-free solder. The only problem with this, is that it has a much lower melting temp. Whereas leaded solder could probably take the heat from both consoles, the lead-free solder can't and as such gets weaker over time (The rapid cooling of the solder when the console is switched off also contributes to it) . This eventually leads to the solder cracking, meaning the 'connectors' don't connect and the console doesn't work. Reflowing melts the solder so the 'connectors' rejoin up. So unless there is a problem with the console (YLOD) a reflow is 100% pointless, and will end up damaging the solder further.

However there is a thing known as reballing, though it's quite expensive, whereby you can have all the lead-free replaced with leaded solder.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ashleymalpas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Ah, had no idea about the lead solder deal, good to have confirmation that a reflow isn't necessary tho. Thanks!
    Last edited by MaslowK; 9th-August-2014 at 18:57.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"