Page 56 of 264 FirstFirst ... 646515253545556575859606166106156 ... LastLast

Thread: The Boredlands-Out: Bite and don't let it go (EXPLOSIONS)

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    I'm just giving you shit I don't even really drink coffee.
    Ya, you a white man pretending to be asian, constant tea drinking
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm really enjoying the Movie "Evening Rain".

Thanks
    EP Points

I only drink coffee with milk, mostly because I rarely drink milk.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

I drink coffee with tons of sugar cream and milk because my first coffee experience was uh a little intense. a friend made coffee for me when I was younger and I shit you not when I say it looked like frickin tar cuz that's how he liked it. I finished the cup so I wouldn't hurt his feelings but holy shit that pot could trap a dinosaur

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by maverickgirlhunterZ492 View Post
    I drink coffee with tons of sugar cream and milk because my first coffee experience was uh a little intense. a friend made coffee for me when I was younger and I shit you not when I say it looked like frickin tar cuz that's how he liked it. I finished the cup so I wouldn't hurt his feelings but holy shit that pot could trap a dinosaur
    lol

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

Just finished my first lecture on coursera, on physics. I took this one merely because I was interested in the topic (dark energy) and am quite impressed. Regardless of how employers view it, I think it's a good opportunity for anyone who wants to self study.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

Sweaty bum bum

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by gezegond View Post
    I only drink coffee with milk, mostly because I rarely drink milk.
    MILK IS GOOD FOR YOU! DRINK IT!

Preferably with a delicious Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gobby View Post
    MILK IS GOOD FOR YOU! DRINK IT!
    I know but I alwyas forget to drink.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm still doing my bachelors, but I'm in summer vacations right now, it will resume in 2 months. So I thought I'd do some side studying to get myself a bit ahead than others.

Actually, it's a bit more complex than that. I'm doing game design at university. Lots of people say game design degree means pretty much nothing as well, as in employers don't really think of it as a real degree. So I'm trying to do some computer science courses on websites like coursera, and I'm kinda hoping the game dev bachelors coupled with comp sci courses here would be enough for a potential employer.
    Drop the game design and pick up Comp Sci. You'll learn all the same programming languages and tricks (and then some) as you would in game design, but more of it will be transferrable to other applications. you can work for Blizzard with a CPS degree, but I don't see you working for Cicso with a game design degree. nothing against your opinion of course, but CPS will acquire you more in the long run.

Besides, I have a BS in Intforamtion Technology which is more of the hardware side of Computer Science, but I found that my interest is actually in Engineering. What that means is I use both IT and CPS skills every day, but much of what I need is self taught. I have designed a hardware/software synth from the ground up and to do so, I basically taught Electronic Engineering and C++. What I mean to say is that your degree will not teach you to make games, it will teach you to learn. you alone must teach yourself to make games.

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Thats actually a thing? My dad made taht shit all the time. I thought he was stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Milk in your coffee? PUSSY ALERT.
    PUSSY ALERT! *sips black coffee* PUSSY ALERT!
    Quote Originally Posted by maverickgirlhunterZ492 View Post
    I could be their friend.

Thanks
    EP Points

It's northumbria university in Newcastle, UK. I don't know about US but in UK almost all universities offer it. In US I think digipen offers even PhD on game dev (or maybe just masters I dont remember well) Quite a lot of universities in canada offer game dev as well. It's kinda weird that's despite the fact that it's so prevalent employers still don't consider them worthy. :\

I actually am considering changing my course tbh, but I've already studied this for a year and paid quite a lot for it too, I'm not exactly sure if it's the right move.
    I know for the traditional Sciences a PhD is something helps a lot but would a PhD in game design really benefit you as much as sheer programming experience, I get the impression for programming related professions it's more important to gain programming experience, even moreso than actual degrees.

Thanks
    EP Points

Qualifications my arse.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    Drop the game design and pick up Comp Sci. You'll learn all the same programming languages and tricks (and then some) as you would in game design, but more of it will be transferrable to other applications. you can work for Blizzard with a CPS degree, but I don't see you working for Cicso with a game design degree. nothing against your opinion of course, but CPS will acquire you more in the long run.

Besides, I have a BS in Intforamtion Technology which is more of the hardware side of Computer Science, but I found that my interest is actually in Engineering. What that means is I use both IT and CPS skills every day, but much of what I need is self taught. I have designed a hardware/software synth from the ground up and to do so, I basically taught Electronic Engineering and C++. What I mean to say is that your degree will not teach you to make games, it will teach you to learn. you alone must teach yourself to make games.
    If I was a regular first world citizen I would just make games by myself and try my luck. But I can't. As with the comp sci, I know it's better in the long run, but I had my reasons for choosing game dev. Motivation, costs, etc. I find it difficult to decide and even if I did, there's no guarantee I would be able to change my course. Maybe I should contact one of my tutors in uni and ask for info/advice before the next semester begins. I just hope he answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tassadar View Post
    I know for the traditional Sciences a PhD is something helps a lot but would a PhD in game design really benefit you as much as sheer programming experience, I get the impression for programming related professions it's more important to gain programming experience, even moreso than actual degrees.
    I don't know much about PhD in games. The only thing I know about them is from this interesting article I read a while back.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If I was a regular first world citizen I would just make games by myself and try my luck. But I can't. As with the comp sci, I know it's better in the long run, but I had my reasons for choosing game dev. Motivation, costs, etc. I find it difficult to decide and even if I did, there's no guarantee I would be able to change my course. Maybe I should contact one of my tutors in uni and ask for info/advice before the next semester begins. I just hope he answers.

There should be time for you to change courses. Drop/add period is a week long into each semester. Also, your entire ENTIRE first two years will be worthless. Seriously. All you're doing right now is racking up credit hours. An actual "major" requires less "major-related" hours than your Uni's other requirements. When I said "Drop the game design and pick up Comp Sci" I meant that all of the hours you have taken can be used for other requirements, but many can be used toward a Comp Sci major. During the first week back, or even the first day, locate an advisor in the Comp Sci Department and talk with them about the major. Bring a full list of all of the courses you have completed and your student-bulletin if you have one (the big book with a full list of courses from your first year). They can tell you which courses can fulfill which requirements and what else you need to fulfill to graduate in the same amount of time as for a game dev major.

One other thing you should take into mind is that when applying for jobs in the future, say five or ten years from now, the will ask you "what have you done since uni?" They will not ask you "what did you major in?" So if you want to pursue a job in programming, then learn programming. Don't fret over trivial titles such as Game dev major or CPS major. Just learn with all of your energy. learn everything related.

The way I see it with the circuit board I am designing is no one will help me. I need to calculate voltage differentials, amperage tolerances, divisions and fluctuation protection. I also have to consider the worst case scenarios such as someone plugging in a "hot" audio signal (0 to +10v) into my gate input (0 to +5v) inputs! however on the parallel, I have to program the microcontroller to understand everything and speak to the other devices on the board. I cannot afford to pay anyone to do any of this for me, so I have to read everything about everything and learn op amps, 3D-PCB CAD design, C++ language, gbz80 assembly language and even a little bit of DOS command prompt programming just for this one project. I have been working on it for more than a year and it has nothing to do with CPS or my IT major but it has been inspired by what I learned during those years. Inspire yourself and consider yourself alone. If you have friends, play nice but step on their heads when it comes time to move up.

tl;dr
    1. Go see an advisor during his posted office hours. You may have to wait in line, but it will be worth it once you get that help. Just go in, bring a list of completed courses and ask what else you need to graduate.
    2. use the Drop/add period to change up the course you are taking this semester.
    3. Sign up for a class audit on campus. They will tell you "officially" what other courses and requirements that you need to fulfill to graduate in that field. It will be a few months before a slot opens for the audit, but I suggest doing this at least once before you are actually required to do it during your 3rd of 4th year.

I changed my major once or twice too.