Page 54 of 264 FirstFirst ... 444495051525354555657585964104154 ... LastLast

Thread: The Boredlands-Out: Bite and don't let it go (EXPLOSIONS)

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaFlave View Post
    Uh, when you try to get a real job and they do a thorough background check shit like that shows up. If you try to falsify college credentials and shit you can't hide from it.
    falsify college credentials? why would I want to do that? Besides on coursera very few courses actually provide college credentials. Most just give you a piece of paper saying you've finished this course with x grade. You can show this to potential employers.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by gezegond View Post
    falsify college credentials? why would I want to do that? Besides on coursera very few courses actually provide college credentials. Most just give you a piece of paper saying you've finished this course with x grade. You can show this to potential employers.
    Why would you show that to potential employers? That's about the same as auditing a college course. In case you don't know what that means, it pretty much means nothing at all. Basically you sat through a course but can't confirm whether or not you passed or failed the course.

Thanks
    EP Points

Why would you show that to potential employers? That's about the same as auditing a college course. In case you don't know what that means, it pretty much means nothing at all. Basically you sat through a course but can't confirm whether or not you passed or failed the course.
    But won't the "Statement of Accomplishment" prove just that? There's also an option to get a certificate which can be verified online on coursera, but you have to pay for it. Here's how it looks.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by gezegond View Post
    But won't the "Statement of Accomplishment" prove just that? There's also an option to get a certificate which can be verified online on coursera, but you have to pay for it. Here's how it looks.
    Whatever man, if you think it will get you ahead in the end then so be it. All I'm saying is unless you have a certified Bachelor's Degree or higher (Masters, etc) nothing really matters to an employer because vouchers of a "statement of accomplishment" or whatever don't mean shit. Just stick to courses you pay for and leave it at that. There's no such thing as free education to get ahead.

Thanks
    EP Points

Whatever man, if you think it will get you ahead in the end then so be it. All I'm saying is unless you have a certified Bachelor's Degree or higher (Masters, etc) nothing really matters to an employer because vouchers of a "statement of accomplishment" or whatever don't mean shit. Just stick to courses you pay for and leave it at that. There's no such thing as free education to get ahead.
    I'm still doing my bachelors, but I'm in summer vacations right now, it will resume in 2 months. So I thought I'd do some side studying to get myself a bit ahead than others.

Actually, it's a bit more complex than that. I'm doing game design at university. Lots of people say game design degree means pretty much nothing as well, as in employers don't really think of it as a real degree. So I'm trying to do some computer science courses on websites like coursera, and I'm kinda hoping the game dev bachelors coupled with comp sci courses here would be enough for a potential employer.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah, good luck with that. You should probably just study computer science and then try to matriculate into a game program at a school if that's what you want to do. What kind of University are you going to? I don't know anyone who offers a Bachelor's in game design except tech schools like Fullsail and whatnot.... and those aren't Bachelor's degrees.

Thanks
    EP Points

It's northumbria university in Newcastle, UK. I don't know about US but in UK almost all universities offer it. In US I think digipen offers even PhD on game dev (or maybe just masters I dont remember well) Quite a lot of universities in canada offer game dev as well. It's kinda weird that's despite the fact that it's so prevalent employers still don't consider them worthy. :\

I actually am considering changing my course tbh, but I've already studied this for a year and paid quite a lot for it too, I'm not exactly sure if it's the right move.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

What kind of University are you going to? I don't know anyone who offers a Bachelor's in game design except tech schools like Fullsail and whatnot.... and those aren't Bachelor's degrees.
    Bachelor of Design (Games) is available here at one uni not far from me (haven't checked nationwide), it seems odd that unis in the US don't offer it. Are you sure about that?

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Bachelor of Design (Games) is available here at one uni not far from me (haven't checked nationwide), it seems odd that unis in the US don't offer it. Are you sure about that?
    Not many man - UCLA I think has a Bachelors in game design, but most everything else here in the states is only a tech degree in game design, typically meaning a 2 year program. In other words an associates degree, which is the same as attending a junior college for 2 years.

Frankly, it seems to be one of those things that's frowned upon among major universities.... if you want to break into the game field the best route seems to be graphic design, a tech school degree or computer science. If you want to get higher than that then you can probably minor in business administration and pretty much flunk out of college and become a CEO of Activision or EA, since those rubes don't seem to know anything about the business

Thanks
    EP Points

well in UK bachelors is 3 years not 4, so maybe they're more comfortable offering 3 year bachelors in game dev than 4 year ones lol

Actually, nevermind. In Canada it's also 4 but still lot of universities offer it. US university peasants are just afraid of glorious game dev studying master race.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah it's 3 years here for Bachelor of Design. There are other degrees that are computer science/game design combos, if you understand what I mean.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Don't know much about the US education system but I think it's pretty different from what we have here
    You do 6 years of high school (which are mostly colleges, both public and private) then you go to tertiary. Some people are 18 in their final year of high school, but plenty aren't (like I turned 18 the year after I finished high school).
    Most Bachelor degrees are 3 years iirc, maybe some are 4. It's also possible some stuff has changed a bit in the last 2 decades but yeah that Bachelor of Design I mentioned is 3 years full time.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

My bachelors is actually 4 years, but one year is optional internship which for now seems unlikely to acquire.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Where's the love for fairy bread?
    what's fairy bread?