Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Pseudo Saturn, a new Saturn mod via an Action Replay.

Thanks

New member here. Help please!!

I just bought Saturn Backup Unlocker from Retro Gamer and Backups. Just a Action replay cart w/Pseudo Saturn stuff loaded onto it:
    http://retrogamerbackups.com/product...aturn-unlocker

I have a Japanese Sega Saturn, model 1 gray version with blue Oval buttons.

Backed up some of my games like X-Men Vs StreetFighter, burned to Verbatium media but, won't work. When i power on my Saturn, the Pseudo Saturn launcher comes up. But it always ends with an "Error 1" and refuses to load. What's Error 1? Also tried with about 8 other games from my collection, both japanese and U.S titles. Same issue.

Pretty sure my burning method is good, as when placed in my comp's CD-Rom drive, the back-up shows up just like the original. The Saturn can also play back the music from the backup, it just can't boot/play it.

Help would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Saturnfan81; 26th-May-2016 at 14:43.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturnfan81 View Post
    New member here. Help please!!

I just bought Saturn Backup Unlocker from Retro Gamer and Backups. Just a Action replay cart w/Pseudo Saturn stuff loaded onto it:
    http://retrogamerbackups.com/product...aturn-unlocker

I have a Japanese Sega Saturn, model 1 gray version with blue Oval buttons.

Backed up some of my games like X-Men Vs StreetFighter, burned to Verbatium media but, won't work. When i power on my Saturn, the Pseudo Saturn launcher comes up. But it always ends with an "Error 1" and refuses to load. What's Error 1? Also tried with about 8 other games from my collection, both japanese and U.S titles. Same issue.

Pretty sure my burning method is good, as when placed in my comp's CD-Rom drive, the back-up shows up just like the original. The Saturn can also play back the music from the backup, it just can't boot/play it.

Help would be much appreciated.
    Need a little more info. As im not familiar with that card. I know most here just use action replay 4MB if im not mistaking.
    What Ver of Pseduo is your card running?
    Are you making backups of your games or you using Image files like ISO, BIN, MDS, Etc...
    What burning software are using ?

Thanks !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cuscuna View Post
    Need a little more info. As im not familiar with that card. I know most here just use action replay 4MB if im not mistaking.
    What Ver of Pseduo is your card running?
    Are you making backups of your games or you using Image files like ISO, BIN, MDS, Etc...
    What burning software are using ?

Thanks !
    My cart says its Pseudo Saturn 0.832.

Using my old faithful Nero Burning rom to copy. Also tried outright downloading an ISO of the same game from emuparadise. And burning with it, as well as using other more recent software like AnyBurn. Same thing. Burned and appeared good. Put it into my Saturn, and still get "Error 1". Got about a dozen coasters now.

I have an old, beat-up U.S saturn that can't load games anymore. When i tried booting it up with the backup unlocker cart to see if it would work, the screen showed up fine, as it does on my japanese Saturn. So it can't be the cart....i think. I know of other gamers who bought the Saturn Backup Unlocker from retrogamer and backups. It seems to work great for them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm_u9kZjeZc

Ok i switched from Verbatium media to Maxell and 8+ Coasters later.... i give up!!

The only thing i can think of, is maybe my particular japanese saturn just is not compatible with the Pseudo Saturn software. Even if the launcher seems to boot up perfectly every time. I just can't load anything. It's too bad my U.S Saturn can't read discs anymore, because I'd love to test it out to make sure.

I thought all Saturn models could run this software????

And does ANYONE know what this "Error 1" message is?
    Last edited by deadlegion; 27th-May-2016 at 00:26. Reason: merged posts

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturnfan81 View Post
    My cart says its Pseudo Saturn 0.832.

Using my old faithful Nero Burning rom to copy. Also tried outright downloading an ISO of the same game from emuparadise. And burning with it, as well as using other more recent software like AnyBurn. Same thing. Burned and appeared good. Put it into my Saturn, and still get "Error 1". Got about a dozen coasters now.

I have an old, beat-up U.S saturn that can't load games anymore. When i tried booting it up with the backup unlocker cart to see if it would work, the screen showed up fine, as it does on my japanese Saturn. So it can't be the cart....i think. I know of other gamers who bought the Saturn Backup Unlocker from retrogamer and backups. It seems to work great for them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm_u9kZjeZc

Ok i switched from Verbatium media to Maxell and 8+ Coasters later.... i give up!!

The only thing i can think of, is maybe my particular japanese saturn just is not compatible with the Pseudo Saturn software. Even if the launcher seems to boot up perfectly every time. I just can't load anything. It's too bad my U.S Saturn can't read discs anymore, because I'd love to test it out to make sure.

I thought all Saturn models could run this software????

And does ANYONE know what this "Error 1" message is?
    I have a US Saturn and Play Any region with my Pseudo. Im not sure what you doing wrong im not familiar with error code 1. The software I use is either Imgburn or Clone CD which tends work fine. Make sure you also burning at low speed. I find it to be the best way. If you have video or screen shot of the process maybe that might help. Ill ask and search about this error 1 i heard more of error 4 not really error 1

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Have a look through the official thread over at http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/...o-saturn.52526

I'm sure Error 1 has been mentioned before

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/...45#post-881278

check this out says something here about it

Thanks

I see. Thanks guys.

I still don't know what the mysterious "Error 1" message means but, I've read posts from others who have the same Japanese model and experienced the SAME problem. Strange thing is, I've also seen videos of those using the cart on the same system and having it work. Clearly though, Pseudo Saturn software is NOT compatible with every system.

Some of the posts i read, theorize that downgrading to the previous v0.831 on my cart would work. I'll try that next.
    Last edited by Saturnfan81; 27th-May-2016 at 14:40.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah a lot of the code was changed though the compat was not exactly improved a few more games worked but some also stopped working

You will need to patch all the games though before burning to use the older version (I can go into more detail if needs be)

P.S. if for some reason you can't find the older version let me know I think I still have it

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Yeah a lot of the code was changed though the compat was not exactly improved a few more games worked but some also stopped working

You will need to patch all the games though before burning to use the older version (I can go into more detail if needs be)

P.S. if for some reason you can't find the older version let me know I think I still have it

Huh? Never heard of having to patch games for Pseudo Saturn before. How do you do that? Maybe i need to patch my games....

Edit: No way!! So for the first time since i got my Pseudo Saturn backup Unlocker cart a few days ago, i tried loading up some legit games with it. It gives me the exact same error message and refuses to load the game. Remove the cart, and games play fine. I guess my Saturn console really isn't compatible.
    Last edited by Saturnfan81; 28th-May-2016 at 14:22.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

As you have found out yourself patching was not the issue

For the older version though yeah all the games need patching even in the newer version some games still need patching to work correctly

Anyway the patching goes a bit like

First open the disc image (*.bin file is one of the most common used formats) with a hex editor (one that can handle large files)
    replace
    53 45 47 41 20 53 45 47 41 53 41 54 55 52 4E 20 SEGA SEGASATURN
    with
    50 53 45 55 44 4F 20 53 41 54 55 52 4E 20 20 20 PSEUDO SATURN
    20 = a space (so PSEUDO SATURN is followed by 3 spaces)

save it

open the modified bin with CD-Mage

Scan then use the Rebuild sector fields option and close the prog

Finally burn using the usual settings

CD-Mage is only used to rebuild the CD image sector fields to correct the checksum calculation but that is a must if you edit anything with a Saturn CD image

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Ok so i aquired a U.S Saturn off e-bay, and now my Pseduso Saturn backup unlocker cart seems to work perfect. Letting me boot import/backup/4MB games with no problem. So the problem was my Japanese system not getting along with the software.

However, i have a new issue now. My controller stops working. WTF. The controller i'm using is an original american style saturn pad in beat up condition. Would like to try others but, too lazy to dig one out of storage for now. Plus i have a brand new innovation Superpad-8 arriving soon.

Until then, anyone else have this problem? With your gamepads no longer working after boot-up?
    Last edited by Saturnfan81; 5th-June-2016 at 19:44.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nope not like that but have had to repair a few pads in my time usually because the soft plastic grip round the lead is worn (the soft plastic the lead passes through as it goes inside the pad), this can cause the lead to pull too hard on the connections inside and have had to resolder and re-secure the cable on numerous pads over the years, including a Saturn pad

usually connection issues causing the pad to either stop totally or have limited function so I guess the issue can be caused by something like that with ease, just not come across a pad stopping after a game boots

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Dug out one of my japanese style Saturn pads from storage. Things work fine now. I guess my beat up american pad finally crapped out.

For the record, i know the american pad gets hate but, i always thought it was fine overall. And had an interesting look to it.
    Last edited by Saturnfan81; 6th-June-2016 at 00:20.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

That's great

P.S. the patch info I supplied is still needed by some games but not all as the updated version of this was supposed to make it so patching was not needed but it did not fix all games, there are some games that still just do not work also

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    That's great

P.S. the patch info I supplied is still needed by some games but not all as the updated version of this was supposed to make it so patching was not needed but it did not fix all games, there are some games that still just do not work also

Interesting. What games, to your knowledge, still need to be patched? So far things have been working out pretty well. My "Saturn backup unlocker" is just the same hacked action replay cart everyone else is using.
    Last edited by Saturnfan81; 6th-June-2016 at 19:33.