Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Pseudo Saturn, a new Saturn mod via an Action Replay.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

use the swap trick to boot either flasher it detects the cart there and tells you the Vender ID and Device ID (you can boot any flasher with the cart in if you like but it is not required)

the cart may also just need a clean to detect

What is flashed to the cart or not flashed to it does not change it being detected or prevent it from being flashed/re-flashed

Had failed flashes on my cart a few times when I was helping test out some of the flashers including the official pseudo flasher that I never did get to work on my hardware and just made it so it would no longer boot, but re-flashed back to retail and it springs back to life or just flashed it with pseudo using a flasher I know works with my AR4M+ (aka 4 in 1 by EMS that happens to of been the source company for Datel products back in the day)

A lot of carts do have reading issues but this is normally just connection issues either dirty connections (rubbing alcohol will clear that up in no time) or some devices have a slightly thicker board that will also cause connection issues but pulling the cart slightly away from being pushed in all the way can help with that issue
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-October-2015 at 14:43.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Alien Trilogy boots fine it's not true... i've tried this weekend both version, europe (emuparadise isos) and usa (darkwater rip) and the europe version boot but when it reach the "Loading" part, get stuck, going back to the saturn menu... the usa says that the disc is unsuitable... i used both AR flashed pseudo and swap trick, none of them worked... the list says boots fine with usa version... how?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The game itself runs fine both via the swap trick if done correctly (boot via backup swap to original disc then swap back to the backup) and it works just fine via Pseudo

Disc not suitable for this system will only happen if you boot to the Saturn Bios or mess up the swap trick allowing it to boot the bios fully

My system is a European Saturn as detected (though I did switch the video region to NTSC on that Saturn to save any issues running NTSC games) but the game is the US version

There are maybe a couple of issues

Burning at full speed can cause bad burns, so set burning software to the lowest speed 1x will not burn at 1x but will burn at the slowest possible burning speed that your hardware can handle
    Using junk CD-R's (Brand has nothing to do with this it has more to do with the manufacturer) Most brand do poor quality media as well as high standard media
    Saturn laser that can't handle CD-R's too well
    Using CD-RW's, you will be lucky to even get an RW to read on a Saturn at all

My disc is Pseudo patched but that should only effect the boot but you can boot the game ok, it's after the game boots you are having issues that sounds more like an issue with either the CD's or the Saturn I would guess at the CD's though
    Last edited by Zorlon; 13th-October-2015 at 07:57.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

i bought recently a sega saturn (european version) and AR and flashing it and this weekend i made a marathon burning (i've burned 4x speed, Brand: Sony cd's) and testing all games, almost 30 games, only 3 games gave me problem with both methods: Alien Trilogy, Wipeout and Clockwork Knight, i believe the last 2 games could be fix because these two gave problems during the burnings... my concerning is about alien trilogy, which went well burning and verified both versions.
    I do the swap trick very well, those games like panzer dragoon saga, zwei or sega rally that can't run or freeze with pseudo just made the swap and went well, the same trick swapping as you explained. so the problem couldn't be the burning velocity or the quality cd's or even swapping because this could happen on other games too.

It's strange because the Eur version the game boots both methods, even more strange that with the swap trick also boot but after choosing the language shows loading then freezes, should have continued because...its swap trick method... the game freezes and go to the saturn menu is when the fmvs comes up, dunno why don't run that with swap...

Have some questions after your post:
    1. My pseudo version is 8.3.1, where did you get 8.3.2? That pseudo logo doesnt show up here. That version could save the game problem.
    2. Where did you get the european iso, version i mean? You said that the game is US but in the video pseudo says its Eur.
    3. How can see if i boot to the saturn bios or mess it?
    4. How do you switch the video region to NTSC on the Saturn?
    Last edited by xXFlipXx; 13th-October-2015 at 09:15.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

see post http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...46#post1827946

or post 99 just a little further down the same page I used what is in post 99 myself well pre release tested as I have not used the CD I created myself

The game works with 831 though anyway but as I said I did pseudo patch the game before burning and have not tested without that patch applied, but can't see it making a difference but I could be wrong...

The 831 update from 830 was done mostly to stop the need for the pseudo patch but can tell you a few games do still need it, like Batman Forever that needed the patch to work with 831, yet to got into to testing 832 yet though but Panzer Dragoon Saga works in that version do not know if Pseudo patching is needed though
    Last edited by Zorlon; 13th-October-2015 at 19:17.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Hi,
    thanks for the link Zorlon,

so, "heres the plan", after burning and wasted some cd's for testing, i finally made Sega Saturn booting Alien Trilogy,
    but using cd patch you mentioned that you use on iso game before burning, one little big missed detail to say on the compatibility list.
    Not only solved Alien Trilogy, but other games like Wipeout and second cd of Panzer Dragoon Saga.
    Just flashed the Action Replay cartridge 0.832 version flasher and made improved by making Panzer Dragoon Saga boot and playable.
    Here's the list of my backup games:

Sega Saturn (European version - no modchip)
    Action Replay 4MB cartridge with Pseudo Saturn Loader (0.832 version flasher)

(Demo) BOOTLEG SAMPLER - Boots fine, plays fine

(Demo) SEGA FLASH VOL. 2 - Boots fine, plays fine

ALIEN TRILOGY - (need cd patch) Boots fine, plays fine

BAKU BAKU - Boots fine, plays fine

CLOCKWORK KNIGHT - Boots fine, plays fine

CLOCKWORK KNIGHT 2 - Boots fine, plays fine

DAYTONA U.S.A. - Boots fine, plays fine

DIE HARD ARCADE - Boots fine, plays fine

DRAGON BALL Z SHINBUTODEN - Boots fine, plays fine

DRAGON BALL Z THE LEGEND - Boots fine, plays fine

LAST BRONX - Boots fine, plays fine

LOADED - Boots fine, plays fine

MORTAL KOMBAT TRILOGY - Boots fine, plays fine

NIGHTS INTO DREAMS - Boots fine, plays fine

CHRISTMAS NIGHTS INTO DREAMS - Boots fine, plays fine

PANZER DRAGOON - Boots fine, plays fine

PANZER DRAGOON ZWEI - Boots fine, plays fine

PANZER DRAGOON SAGA (4CD's) - (CD2 need cd patch) - Boots fine, plays fine

SATURN BOMBERMAN - Boots fine, plays fine

SEGA RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP - Boots fine, plays fine

SHINOBI-X - Boots fine, plays fine

STREET FIGHTER ALPHA WARRIOR'S DREAMS - Boots fine, plays fine

STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 2 - Boots fine, plays fine

STREET FIGHTER THE MOVIE - Boots fine, plays fine

SUPER PUZZLE FIGHTER II TURBO - Boots fine, plays fine

TOMB RAIDER - Boots fine, plays fine

WIPEOUT - (need cd patch) Boots fine, plays fine

WIPEOUT 2097 - Boots fine, plays fine

So, my advice for those who want Sega Saturn collection backup games, whatever if PAL,EUR,US,NTSC, apply cd patch for all iso/bin games just in case.

Cheers,
    Flip
    Last edited by xXFlipXx; 18th-October-2015 at 19:08.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to xXFlipXx For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hey, folks.

I could really use some help.

I've burnt like 10 Street Fighter Zero 3 (J) copies, downloading it from several places, and I always have the exactly same problem: the stage songs do not play properly, although the game, itself, runs perfectly. Sometimes they just keep looping, sometimes they don't even play, sometimes they look like a damaged audio-CD, or something. I've tried bin/cue, ccd/img/sub, mp3/bin/cue and the result is always the same.

I'm using Pseudo Saturn 0.832 (also tried patching it with cdpatch, didn't work), SONY cd-r, and I've tried burning with ImgBurn, Alcohol 120% and CloneCD. I've also recorded many other games which are working perfectly, including other fighting games like Marvel VS Street Fighter, X-Men VS Street Fighter, Street Fighter Zero 2, and etc.

I've also tried patching it to US region, but the problem was still there.

Does anyone know what's wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

mp3 downloads just avoid

The chances are it is just the media used is of a lower quality especially if it randomly playing/not playing/looping when it should not hints at readability struggling, but some games do have issues from CD-R in general even from a swap trick, this is a game I have not personally tested though

Issues in general are lag in FMV/stuttering but this usually goes the same way every time, so stutters ect happen at the same points every time from just using CD-R instead of Pressed retail discs

Never tested myself so do not know if it is possible with Saturn games but in general to improve reading for CD and DVD based console systems is to dummy up data at the start of the disc (empty files that are not read by the console) pushing all data and CDDA to the outer edge of the disc as this disc only has a single CDDA track that will be a warning not to play in a audio CD player I presume the music is produced via data files instead of CDDA

CD/DVD data is read easier & smoother from the out edge of the disc to what it is read from the inner edge near the hole

P.S. don not region path Saturn games no need to that with Pseudo

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    mp3 downloads just avoid

The chances are it is just the media used is of a lower quality especially if it randomly playing/not playing/looping when it should not hints at readability struggling, but some games do have issues from CD-R in general even from a swap trick, this is a game I have not personally tested though

Issues in general are lag in FMV/stuttering but this usually goes the same way every time, so stutters ect happen at the same points every time from just using CD-R instead of Pressed retail discs

Never tested myself so do not know if it is possible with Saturn games but in general to improve reading for CD and DVD based console systems is to dummy up data at the start of the disc (empty files that are not read by the console) pushing all data and CDDA to the outer edge of the disc as this disc only has a single CDDA track that will be a warning not to play in a audio CD player I presume the music is produced via data files instead of CDDA

CD/DVD data is read easier & smoother from the out edge of the disc to what it is read from the inner edge near the hole

P.S. don not region path Saturn games no need to that with Pseudo
    Yeap. I patched it because I didn't know what to do, anymore.

The weird thing is it happens only with SFZ3, other games run smoothly using exactly the same media. I've searched the web and despite of I could find people with the same problem, the game wasn't specified and neither a solution.

Zorlon, would you be able to test this game, yourself? Because I'm not sure what to do next. I'll try burning it with a different media, but in the meantime... Could you?

Thanks

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

When I get time I can do that for you

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    When I get time I can do that for you
    Hey, man. No need to.

I've burnt it using a different media brand and now it works perfectly. I used to think SONY cd-r was one of the best... Well, at least not for Saturn games. Live and learn, right?

Thanks for the help, man. Now I'm finally playing the best SFZ3 console version. \m/_

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Those Sony discs could be something terrible like CMC manufactured media. Brand does not equal quality, it's who has made the discs and the same brand can use different quality sources (eg Verbatim have good and bad discs made by different companies).

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Those Sony discs could be something terrible like CMC manufactured media. Brand does not equal quality, it's who has made the discs and the same brand can use different quality sources (eg Verbatim have good and bad discs made by different companies).
    Sad but true!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Cool glad you got it working and saves me pulling out my laptop for it's CD/DVD burner as my PC has no disc media drives

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hey man just wanted to chime in and say thank you very much for this awesome mod