Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Pseudo Saturn, a new Saturn mod via an Action Replay.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

brand does not make the media good or bad it's more where they are made

I use verbatim myself though and work just fine off the bat both for games and the flasher CD

Boot your system with the CD-R inserted, once the AR is fully loaded you can change to your retail CD after hitting start game from the AR menu you need to do your final CD change (as you have a model 2 you need to listen as to when the change takes place)

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I cant!!

Can you maybe make a quick video on how to do this? i dont know if my timing is not perfect, i dont know if its the media, the speed used for burning... i just cant make it work

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The first thing you need to do is make the disc lid think it is always closed, depending on the Saturn (Not just the model) depends on how you do that, either way you will be removing the top of the case to access the inside of it, most you can just attach a piece of tape to hold the button on, the lid presses in the closed pos

youtube disc swap saturn

put that in google to find a ton of vids explaining how to do various swap tricks

best to find one for the model you have

Model 1 is much easier to do the swap because of the access light

There are a few swap methods you can try just choose what is easiest for you
    Last edited by Zorlon; 1st-May-2015 at 04:13.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I got an old computer with LPT port, do you know what software I can use to flash it? and I'm guessing I can do a back up of the original firmware and I can restore it anytime

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by paradoxflyer View Post
    I got an old computer with LPT port, do you know what software I can use to flash it? and I'm guessing I can do a back up of the original firmware and I can restore it anytime
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Thank you so much, sorry I didn't read the whole threat

Thanks

I can't get my computer to detect the Action Replay, the tools are made for EMS pc comm card, http://www.hkems.com/m_main.htm, I've been playing around with the different versions but no luck. idk what I'm doing wrong
    has anyone installed it using a computer with LTP port?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If that is the case you will require the comms card for it to work, or just use the swap/swop trick and a CDR to install, just make sure it is a good quality CDR that you use

You can also check out the original thread that this was released at http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...read.php?52526

I only really passed this on when I got the OK to do so, though yes I got directly involved in some of the testing of the software

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

I'll check it out, thank you

Thanks

I'm stumped. I've been reading through this forum and others. I've watched a few youtube vids. I used the disc swap method a few years back to play burned disc. I've burned multiple disc with img burn, alcohol, and nero. I cannot get atlas to boot. I also get errors when burning with img burn. Something about mismatch errors I believe. I choose ignore. I've tried the single swap and the double swap methods. I know the timing is correct because I can get to the sega screen and it doesn't get past that. I also use 1x speed and tao/sao. I'm also using the atlas-pseudo install disc folder with the atlas cue file. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also thanks to all who have put forth their efforts to make this possible.

Thanks
    EP Points

I had the same issue with img burn initially on my desktop. In the end I used my win7 laptop for work and re-downloaded both files and fresh installed img burn. I burnt at 8x speed, which was the lowest it allowed and it worked first time.
    If you don't have access to another computer with a burner, I would try a re-downloading of both files and trying a fresh install. If you are getting fails on burning then that possibly is where your issue is.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DCR View Post
    I had the same issue with img burn initially on my desktop. In the end I used my win7 laptop for work and re-downloaded both files and fresh installed img burn. I burnt at 8x speed, which was the lowest it allowed and it worked first time.
    If you don't have access to another computer with a burner, I would try a re-downloading of both files and trying a fresh install. If you are getting fails on burning then that possibly is where your issue is.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I thought to myself why not try it on my old desktop since it fails on my laptop. Burned atlas installer with no errors, took two tries swapping and I got it! I have a Mem plus card. Thanks!

Thanks
    EP Points

Thought I would have a go at flashing my AR cart as I have one that doesnt support 4M games beyond X-Men Vs SF (I know there is a fix but I cant solder), so wasnt too fussed if it bricked. Really impressive, for a proof of concept its excellent.

It did get me thinking about the possibility of setting 50/60hz so original JPN games on an un-modded UK Pal Saturn can be played without being bordered and running at the slower 50hz speed, and equally allowing UK Pal optimised games to be run on un-modded JPN/US Saturns without screen overstretch and in some cases, graphical glitches (e.g. Pal Guardian Heroes).

Anyone know if it would be possible to set the hertz rating via Pseudo Saturn before game boot?

jonc*** Glad you are up and running

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nope but a simple switch can be added to the back of the saturn (just under the battery) or even just solder two loose wires that can be connected to give 60Hz or seperated for 50Hz my Saturns are both PAL and version 1, not so sure version 2 of the Saturn or all Saturn can have this done (I am sure there was Saturn 2 instructions though when I was looking at the time) I only looked for the model I am using though

Just google it, the solder points are easy to do even for a noob at soldering that I am

best to do that is you want to play NTSC video mode games as some will either go out of sync and possibly crash at some point some will not even boot, a few run ok at 50Hz though

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

DCR

Thanks

Needing a little help hopefully for the last time. I alternated between laptop and desktop burned a billion disc that kept showing mismatch errors. I used imgburn which i've been using for dreamcast images forever and never had this much trouble. Burned the cue at 10,8, and 1x on both the laptop and desktop with the same errors. I even tried alcohol no go. I read the tutorial on creating a cue and renaming the bin to iso. Still a no go. I'm using memorex and always have. I found a different bin cue of one game that is in zorlons compat list after i tried another and it was burned successful, but still did not boot. It goes to the cd screen. By the way i have a model 2. It baffles me that i had a copy of castlevaina x on the same type cd that i played a few years back via the origianal swap trick and it worked. I watched the atlas pseudo installer work saying success. Any suggestions or ideas on what to try? I was thinking of going to town to pick up verbatim cd's and try those. Thanks!