Thread: Silent Hill 2 - PCSX2 or PC version?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Silent Hill 2 - PCSX2 or PC version?

I have just fired up Silent Hill 2 on PCSX2 v1.2.1, however, i'm stuck with the PCSX2 "native" 512 x 512 - what was the game's original aspect ratio? Scaling seems to bugger the FMV, so I can't seem to break 4:3. Is there anyway of rendering the game in a wider ratio?

I'm also wondering if it's better to play the PC version. I've seen screenshots in widescreen and the textures are pretty schmick to boot - On the down side i hear SH2 PC has awkward controls, diminished atmosphere & supports quick-saves which hopefully can be made permanently unavailable from the start of a new game.

It's been many years since my first play through and I would the the premium experience second time round. It'll be quite sometime before I play it again.
    Last edited by sligdude; 15th-July-2014 at 13:23.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sligdude For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Silent Hill 2 HD version is widescreen, maybe you saw a video of that?

Edit: Sorry, I should've said screenshots instead of video
    Last edited by deadlegion; 15th-July-2014 at 13:46.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Under the GS Window in Emulation Settings you can change the aspect ratio to either 4:3, 16:9, or Fit to Window/Screen. Using the Fit option will fit the entire screen on the PCSX2's current resolution (it can be changed, or you can hit the Maximize button to change it yourself).

Emulating the game is probably the better option if and only if you have a computer that can run these kinds of games easily. Getting the PC version will net you the best playing experience in terms of speed and what not (since it's not being emulated) but there's the down sides you mentioned.

I'd say emulate it but that choice is all yours bud.
    Layin down enjoying the fun unleashing the power of the sun and capturing them all until I'm done.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemongenius View Post
    Under the GS Window in Emulation Settings you can change the aspect ratio to either 4:3, 16:9, or Fit to Window/Screen. Using the Fit option will fit the entire screen on the PCSX2's current resolution (it can be changed, or you can hit the Maximize button to change it yourself).

Emulating the game is probably the better option if and only if you have a computer that can run these kinds of games easily. Getting the PC version will net you the best playing experience in terms of speed and what not (since it's not being emulated) but there's the down sides you mentioned.
    Here are some pictures taken from the PC Directors Cut version. The widescreen shot are obviously the cut scenes - my bad.

http://www.videogameperfection.com/2...itive-version/

My system specs should handle all emulation (at least without too much conflict): Win8 / Asus Sabertooth / R9 290 Tri-x / FX 8350 / 8gb ram. I tried the GS window settings; The rendering isn't affected but image is stretched.

The "Switch to GSdx software rendering..." was an entirely necessary hack to make both FMV and AA work together in game. I gotta say, I had fun puzzling around with these settings; they were quite the jigsaw - tho I won't pretend to entirely understand them.
    Last edited by sligdude; 15th-July-2014 at 23:18.