Thread: Is this N64 Mario Party ROM safe?

Thanks
    EP Points

Question Is this N64 Mario Party ROM safe?

A 2yr old guest comment suggests that this ROM has been tampered with. I'm a little afraid to download for fear that it might infect my device or something, is it even possible with ROMs/ISOs?

Name:  H6V5y36.png
Views: 1124
Size:  39.7 KB
    http://www.emuparadise.me/Nintendo_6...ty_(USA)/39959

If his comment is true, where else can i find an untouched version of Mario Party?

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Roms can not do anything to your OS, only thing that can do that is Bad emulators, so the rom should be fine.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

What Gobby said. To expand on that, the only files you need to worry about infecting your computer are executable files, and there are only a handful of those commonly used in Windows (.exe, .msi, .bat, .jar). There are also .reg files which add/remove entries from your registry, and while I've never encountered them being used maliciously, it's best to avoid them unless they're from a trusted source.

To make matters worse, Microsoft has deemed it necessary to hide file extensions for known file types by default, making it more likely someone will accidentally execute something they shouldn't; I always recommend unhiding them, as there is absolutely no advantage to keeping them hidden. Assuming you haven't already done this, open a folder window (explorer), click the Organize button at the top left, click "Folder and search options" in the dropdown menu. Then, in the window that pops up, you'll see a list of checkboxes; find the one that says "Hide extensions for known file types" and uncheck it, then hit Ok.

Also for future reference, if you do get an executable file you don't know is safe, you can run it through this online virus scanner, which uses 22 different scanners.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MaslowK For This Useful Post:

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

To add what MaslowK said, here is another Great online scanner that's widely used ,

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior For This Useful Post: