Thread: Problems with Shadow of the Colossus (Video signal stops).

Thanks

Default Problems with Shadow of the Colossus (Video signal stops).

Hello, I'm not being able to even see the first load screen of Shadow of the Colossus because after the Playstation 2 logo (and the modchip logo) the video signal stops and the screen turns blue like as if the video channel were not being used, but the game disc still spinning...

I tried with both NTSC version and PAL version and get the same result... the discs were burned a 4x.

I know that this escapes the thread subject but I'm having problem with other game that I burned recently too (Aeon Flux (NTSC)) when I try to play I get a pink (magenta) screen or I'm redirected to the Playstation 2 browser and it says that the game disc is an dvd video disc.

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Not sure what chip you have but you could try clean dumps, it's possible those games you tried are esr patched for softmod...but they should work anyway, like with Matrix Infinity or Modbo.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

My modchip is a Matrix Infinity 1.93, I forgot to mention that I tried to launch the games using ESR but had the same problems...
    Last edited by exodus_rev; 3rd-July-2014 at 03:45.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Hmm, well you've got the last official firmware version from what I can tell.

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What video cable are you using?

type rather than brand...

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

The cable is a composite RCA analogic.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Hmm was expecting to here component cable (red blue green (red white for sound)) Some game just don't support component display and do black out after the logo's or on starting the game

As for burning speed though I don't think that is the real issue, just burn at the slowest your hardware can, easiest way to do that is to set the burning software to burn at 1x, it will auto adjust the speed to the slowest.

All the guides/advise that have said burn at 4x had been based on hardware that 4x was slowest and that was usually for CD's and was silly advice back then as hardware that could only burn up to 4x gave unreliable burns at 4x and produced higher quality burning at slower speeds.

I would also advise you try a clean dump of the game matching crc records verified at redump.org, then at least you will know that the disc image is not the issue
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-July-2014 at 03:42.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Thanks I will try it.

The CRC of both NTSC and PAL versions that I have match the ones at redump.org.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 3rd-July-2014 at 23:16. Reason: merged posts

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

That's great

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Just tried to play using the iso file and launching with OPL 0.9, the screen flashed 3 or 4 colors (only remember green, yellow and pink) and a black screen with the left and right edges yellow then the color of the edges changed to pink after a second and the video signal stopped again.
    Last edited by exodus_rev; 4th-July-2014 at 04:39.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ok I know the game works with ESR so I will do a burn test on my end as ESR is the method I use to play backups

I thought ESR was the only method to use the colours but then again I never bothered with OPL (that is by the same person) as I don't like using a Network port or USB port to load the games through.

As you have a mod chip you should not need ESR, though it can still have it's uses for some older mod chips.

As a side note make sure the PS2 settings are set to RGB, but it should be anyway, Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr is only for component cable anyway, but still double check that.

If you had been using component there is way to enable games to work that do not support component cables, but there is no need if you just use composite cables

Downloading the game now, though I have the HD version on my PS3 anyway

EDIT: burning now, I went for the USA version, going to try and duplicate your problem so the first test I have the Video set to Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr instead of RGB and also do a RGB test, though not sure if that makes much difference while using composite that I am also using the it's a SCART one (SCART just has a better quality image, but mostly available to PAL users that I am).

Burning software = ImgBurn 2.5.8.0
    Burn speed = 2.4 (that is the slowest for my hardware)
    Media = Verbatim DVD+R [Media code MCC.....004]
    More detail = http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia/ve...cc-004-16/2487

If you are not sure the Video setup is in System Configuration

EDIT: initial boot took no time really flashy colours don't last then sits on the circle of dots to say it's loading data (took a little while) then sat of the Sony Corperation screen for a little while then plays FMV, I skipped the FMV to main menu before it played through, New Game, dots again... (a bit slow for loading) FMV again (Start to skip) dots again worked fine to in-game..

Not sure what the issue could be :/

But for now rule out the disc image and the burn you done, checkout your mod chip settings and the console settings first
    Last edited by Zorlon; 4th-July-2014 at 09:53.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

SOLVED!!

I found a video on youtube explaining how to play Shadow of the Colossus and other games with the same issue, I just had to change the configurations of the modchip...
    in the Matrix Infinity config menu you have to change the "PS2 Screen Fix" from "NTSC" (or other option) to "OFF" now the game is working perfectly...

Thanks for all your help and support!!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well done , had a feeling it was a video setup error.

Hope you enjoy the game after all that

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]