Thread: Xbox classic run games from HDD.

Thanks

Default Xbox classic run games from HDD.

Hello everyone,

I'm gonna purchase a modded xbox classic(the one before 360) next week. I've read the tutorial on how to burn games if I want to play them from the dvd, but how do I burn them so I can install them to the hdd? Is there a tutorial somewhere that I've missed, if not could someone give me the steps pls?
    The xbox I'm purchasing comes with a 10gb hdd, so I should be able to fit a few games in it.

Thank you.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You don't burn anything if you plan to install to HDD you just FTP what you want directly from an ISO file, or if you have an extract disc image then just rebuild an Xbox iso then FTP directly from the iso file

The xbox comes standard with an 8GB HDD a couple of the bigger games are apx 8GB though and 10GB is only only an extra 2GB that is if it actually is 10GB as most that claim to be a certain size are often smaller

Most games are apx 4.5 GB, there are smaller ones though, it would be a good idea though to practice creating a clone drive with the 10GB drive for preparation for getting a good sized drive like 500GB

Also note that not all drives are lockable and you require a lockable drive for use with a soft modded xbox if the xbox is hard modded though (mod chip) most will let you stick just about any drive in the machine

Some game will need fixing to make them run from HDD or you can use a CD/DVD emulator directly on the xbox and copy iso images via ftp (that is different from directly from an ISO file, that takes the contents of the ISO not an ISO file itself)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-June-2014 at 15:08.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

So basically what you're saying is that I have to plug my internet cable into the xbox and download the iso directly on the hdd? And do I really have to use ftp if I do that, can't I just access your site from the xbox and download the files like I am doing on my pc?
    In the future(when I get more money) I was thinking of maybe adding a bigger hdd to it, untill then I just have to hope and pray that the dvdrom it has will hold... Wonder what the chances of that happening are...

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nope, almost but no

You set your xbox to a static IP use a crossover cable between your xbox and a PC direct (set a static IP up on your PC also for the Lan port) then FTP over (Laptops with wireless work best as you just have your laptop access the internet via Wifi and ftp to your xbox via LAN)

The above is one example there are other hook ups but none of those involve downloading directly with the xbox

Nope FTP is not the only way you can install from a DVD using DVD2XBOX but that is not that reliable especially for burned discs

The first thing to go on any xbox is the DVD drive, often it's the readability of DVD's, older ones also had problems with the drive getting stuck so you could not eject, (a mechanical fault)

It might be possible to access EP directly via homebrew on the xbox, but no idea if that could actually download or not, it would not be an ideal method though as most uploads now use 7zip to compress with and as far as I know there is no homesbrew for the xbox that can read 7z files, not even sure if any can read split compressed files either, I know there is RAR support in some of the homebrew for extracting rar files, I would imagine that would just over complicate things if it is even possible.

There is a web browser homebrew for the xbox but it was very very basic and most sites did not work with it, or had features missing

P.S. I am only giving you very basics here so no exact settings so please don't take these posts as guides, I'm just explaining how it work, but I'm not walking you through any steps or anything like that, the above is not enough info for you to get setup, that may come later if there is any interest in it
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-June-2014 at 17:19.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Well now, guess I have a lot of work ahead of me... I wonder if I can even set my pc to a static ip, my provider is pppoe. Guess I olso have to look for(and pay more money for) a cable to connect the pc to the xbox.
    Thank you for the info, I do plan on checking for some guides(maybe on youtube?) when the time comes, I was just sorta hopeing it was easier.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

lol, it's not the IP of your ISP you are changing at all

it's just the IP of your LAN port

If you look through youtube though I would of thought there was a video explaining how to do this, I would check more than one though and try and find 2 or more that use the same method, just to make sure it is correct

All the xbox will be doing is accessing your PC, well vice versa but the xbox is only connected to the PC not the internet that way, there are not many reasons to have the xbox directly connected to the internet these days, Xbox live does not exist for the original xbox now.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-June-2014 at 17:28.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Besides, it's my understanding that even if xbox live would still exist for this console I would get banned since it's modded, right?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Not sure they had methods of knowing it was modded, the PS2 only had protection in later releases, not sure any xbox games had detection methods at all, just the usual region lockouts.

Might of been mod chip detection but software mods would not of had an issue, but I don't remember xbox live bans until after the 360 started getting them

It doesn't matter now though there is no xbrick live now anyway, well not for the original

PSP and DS can/could both get online without bans using a softmod for the PSP and flash kit for the DS, even the Wii could still go online while it was softmodded (I say could because Nintendo have recently stopped there online service for both the Wii and the DS)

The PS2 could but for later games there was a hidden key then when downloaded by many would get blocked, i.e. if tons of users sudenly started using a game with the exact same key, that key would end up on a list to bad so if you used a game that had a key on that list you would get banned then but if you have a valid backup of your own with the key from your original you did not risk getting banned but if you shared that online you would eventually get banned

GameCube never got the console banned either
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-June-2014 at 18:10.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Nice to know, ty for all the info.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

No problem if it comes down to it once you get the machine if you need help setting up an FTP or transfering from an iso image just post here

I will provide more info when the time comes

As for software you can get that now

Qwix and Filezilla are the main ones to use for FTP access

I would also get avalaunch that is an xbox dash but just install it as an app (It's a good Dash but there are better ones also, though saying that you may want to use it for now as a Dash it is small in size)

The reason to use avalaunch and Qwix is for faster FTP access, faster than you can normally get with programs such as Filezilla, but you still want Filezilla for installing homebrew and other software with.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]