Thread: [PSP] Popsloader not working / Eboots failing

Thanks

Default [PSP] Popsloader not working / Eboots failing

This one's a little tricky

I have a PSP Go 6.60 PRO C2, with popsloader (Now) succesfully installed

Popsloader was giving me a hard time, with failing to properly boot up on PSX boot, regardless of being installed and enabled (And yes I had the PSARdump files)
    I managed to fix this by installing Popsloader on my Memory stick M2 rather than internal storage, which worked for god knows why
    HOWEVER - I am now UNABLE to play Castlevania -(Which I was able to play before succesfully installing popsloader), amongst other games. Popsloader is not working for me whatsoever. I check the compatibility of a game, try to boot popsloader into that version, and am met with a black screen, following a reset and a flash recovery to get back to my testing stance.

I have gone through various different sources of getting my popsloader installed, and have made different EBOOTs of the same game using two different converters (PSX2PSP and Impaler's)
    I am currently settled on Iamafreak's popsloader pack, containing all necessary files in their respective spots.

At this point I'm beginning to question that perhaps it's not popsloader but rather it is my ISO sources which I used to make my EBOOTs, however I have tried with three different games to no avail. At this point, being the fanboy I am, I'd at least like to get FFVII running so that I can enjoy it with my PS3 controller (Welcome back, 1997)

Any thoughts on how I can get Popsloader functioning correctly - or perhaps on why none of my EBOOTs are running? (Blackscreen)

A small reply to better explain my situation
    Currently running a seemingly working Popsloader (Iamafreak pack)
    6.60 PRO C2
    Popsloader is enabled in Recovery menu
    Attempting to play Digimon World 3 (SLES-03936) after converting it to (SLPS01724)
    *Small note - 'It seems that you're converting a PAL game, but haven't chosen to do a PAL -> NTSC fix' message appears when I changed the Game ID, may be the cause of the blackscreen/crash

After loading up Popsloader after booting up DW3, I choose 3.71 pops
    *I checked my Popsloader files and all the 3.71 files are present
    After loading the pops, the blackscreen occurs and the system crashes.
    After restarting the system, a second attempt, this time without opening the Pops version loader since it keeps your chosen version, also results in a blackscreen/crash

I'm not sure what is wrong as I've apparently followed every step to the T. I saw some tidbit about keys.bin but it appears they're no longer needed. My only thought is that either the source file I used to make the Eboot is bad, the conversion was bad, (I used Popstation GUI this time around), or that PAL -> NTSC bit was necessary and I need to go back and do that.

I left the PSP scene a while ago but came back, PSP Go in hand, to have more good times. I appreciate any help you guys can offer, for now I'm going to go try that PAL -> NTSC patch.

Edit: I used some sort of (What I think is) a PAL -> NTSC patcher
    Untitled.jpg

It gave me a .p4u file which I then used to make an EBOOT, along with my ICON0 and PIC1
    Slapped it in my game folder, went to it, set pops to 3.71, and then got a mouth-full of Blackscreen/crash

Tried again, and something must've been different about my process because this time the EBOOT showed up as corrupt data on my PSP

I'm really not sure what I should do to get these PSX games running on my PSP. I can say from experience that after this amount of struggle, usually you make some kind of lucky breakthrough, or realize something was missing. Any advice is greatly appreciated on how to get these EBOOTs running.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 17th-June-2014 at 07:41. Reason: posts merged...use the edit function please!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You lost me near the start saying it was working then not working

If a game worked before poploader then use the last option in poploader to use the internal version of pops.

For Castlevania, presuming you are talking about Symphony of the Night, then get the Castlevania PSP game instead that has that game unlockable and has optional languages e.g. Jap voices with English subs or vice versa or same language for both subs and dubs and restores the game back to the jap version (both the removed familiars are back in the game also known as the jap farie and jap devil because those version have previously only been in the jap version of the game) as well as having Maria playable (It's totally different to the Saturn version, this version is still based on the PSX game) it was also re translated though, but to me it's not any better or worse than the original translation to be honest (I do like this version more though overall including the new voices and text) it also still says it continues on from the Megadrive Castlevania (If you use English subs) that it never did as it follows on from the PCE game Dracula X that is a totally different game and not to be confused with the SNES version either, that reminds me that game is also included as an unlockable and is also translated as previously was Jap only.

Don't display patch PSX games, the PSP displays PAL just as good as it displays NTSC, but forcing a game to NTSC that is not designed to do so can and will crash some games or just make them play out of sync, more noticeable if the game uses voices.

p4u files are patch files and need to be applied to the disc image, the p4u file itself is not a disc image though

PAL4U should of come with a patch engine aswell as the engine to find the code and create the patch

lol the patch mode was in NTSC > PAL on a PAL game, so in effect you created a Patch to make a PAL game display in PAL

PSX2PSP is maybe a better converter to use

By the way we have some PSX games in official eboot format that will work fine (don't use popsloader with those, just launch those directly, so don't hold R when you start them) all you need for those to work is the 6.60 PRO-C Fix-3 update, with out the fix though you will get a [FFFFFFFF] error code

The game you are trying tp patch also has an NTSC release anyway
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-June-2014 at 11:28.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Sorry for the confusion

Before I got Popsloader functioning properly I managed to play a copy of Castlevania - Symphony of the night which had been converted by Impalers
    *Popstar GUI converted Castlevania didn't work
    *PSX2PSP converted Castlevania didn't work
    *Impalers converted Castlevania - Symphony of the Night - SUCCESS

I must've been running a PSX2PSP converted Castlevania after getting it to run for the first time (On an impalers version no doubt), and that's why it didn't work once I got Popsloader running. Which I find odd, is there any reason as to why only the Impalers version ended up working? They should all be on the same level, and PSX2PSP is often recommended to be the program to use.

The game I'm trying to get running is Digimon World 2003, which is a PAL exclusive version of the NTSC 'Digimon World 3'. It has some extra tidbits after the final boss so it's worth the stress of getting it to run. I'll try and run it after fishing it through the different converters, and see which of them work.

The main reason I was trying to convert it is due to this piece of info I saw http://psxeboots.com/pops-compatibility-list

'5.00 M33-6 I used Game ID SLPS01724. I’ve used 3.71 pops and not a single freeze after 25 hours. Will update when I finish the game. – L3onardo07'

It seems that using that Game ID is like trying to make a PAL game run as an NTSC game, I really don't know enough to say, but when I tried to change the Game ID in Popstation it gave me a warning about not running any sort of fix on it. 'It seems that you're converting a PAL game, but haven't chosen to do a PAL -> NTSC fix'

Thanks for telling me that the .p4u file isn't an image file. I'll go see how to use it to patch up what I assume is the initial .bin file. Maybe that'll fix my problem on getting it to run.

I have a few questions though: I believe that my problem still persists. I lucked out in that Castlevania runs from flash, but even then, only the Impaler's version worked. None of the other converted EBOOTs ran from flash.

On the compatibility site mentioned above, '5.00 M33-3: Ran perfectly.' -In reference to Castlevania - Symphony of Sorrow
    I tried running 5.00 Pops and got a crash, however it works with flash.

What does this mean to me, exactly? So far I've only been able to play a single game out of my downloaded library, and that's because it managed to run from flash. The recommended 5.00 crashes when I try. Is it perhaps that '5.00 M33-3' isn't the same a 5.00 Pops?

I'm going to run three non-fixed Digimon World 2003 EBOOTs, from 3 different converters, to see if any of them run as PAL (Their natural region)
    If none of these three EBOOTs work from flash, or their recommended Pops versions, then I'm going to try changing their Game ID using that patcher I showed earlier (And don't worry I'll get the PAL -> NTSC right this time haha)

One last thing - is 6.60 PRO-C Fix-3 really an update to 6.60 Pro C2? I thought it was the other way around, with Fix-3 being an edit to C1, before it became C2. Maybe I'm wrong, please clarify if going from 6.60 C2 to C Fix-3 is an actual update, or if it's a minor downgrade to play some PSX titles.

In summary:
    Castlevania Symphony of the Night only runs from Flash, and only runs period if converted via Impalers, where is why my confusion on it not running after getting Popsloader to work stemmed.

Digimon World 2003 is PAL exclusive, I'll try and get 3 different EBOOTs from 3 different converters, if none of those work I'm going to try changing their Game ID and running that .p4u patch, which I don't know how to do at the moment.

I'm believing that perhaps popsloader just hates me? I'm concerned that I won't be able to play any games unless they conveniently run from flash, as 5.00 Pops (which is supposed to be compatible, I think) crashes Castlevania.

Thanks for the advice though, Zor

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I may share a full pops pack for 6.60 Pro ?? firmware

For Castelvania Symphony of the Night just don't play the pops emulated version at all go for the better version that is part of Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles that is a full PSP game but does include Castelvania Symphony of the Night PSX (with extra features, it is still emulated but uses the emulator provided with it) and the original Dracula X Rondo of Blood that is the prequal as is the main game that is a remake of that game.

For most games you can get Official Eboots that do not require popsloader at all we already have most the Final Fantasy ones uploaded by Ragnar in the forum

If there are others that you know are official eBoots then you can request those, http://renascene.com/ps1/ has a nice list of what has been dumped

I don't think that includes any Digimon games though

As for an eBoot only working from certain media or to stop working it may just be different cso compression used

I'm on a 2k model PSP that has no internal memory and uses Memstick pro duo's that I am thankful for as I use a dual micro SD converter and 2x32GB Class (10) Micro SD's

As for the update you tell me then try an official eBoot it does roll it back but also fixes issues the date of the fix is slightly older than the Pro C2 update, 6.60 PRO-C2 has a bug that prevents PSN PSX eBoots from running this resolves that.

The fix for PRO-C2 is for some DLC, you can always switch back if something else stops working though

EDIT C2 should not effect unofficial PSX2PSP converts though but you will need Popsloader for some games (not all though)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-June-2014 at 18:26.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Alright I deleted Castlevania - Symphony of the Night and downloaded Dracula X, looking forward to it
    Also switched from C2 to Fix-3

' http://renascene.com/ps1/ ' offers Keys.bin for individual games. I'm not entirely sure how they work but I have a rough idea. I created an FFVII EBOOT and put the Keys.bin for the same file in the same folder, going to test that out. Like you said however, my Eboot is of course unofficial, so I'm wondering how it'll work out, or if it'll work out. If it doesn't, I'm going to scour around for an official Eboot.

Is Renascene supposed to offer official Eboots? All I saw for download was the Keys.bin for the separate games.

My main problem is that for the unofficial Eboots which I do create, Popsloader refuses to work at all.

I created an SLPS01724 Game ID 'Digimon World 2003' using IceTea, and the game didn't work from flash, nor on 3.71, nor on 3.52.

I then created a normal Game ID DW2003, from three different converters. Impalers was the only one that managed to get me to the home menu, afterwards it blackscreened. I'm not entirely sure what the resolution would be for a Pops that simply doesn't want to do what I ask of it. 3.71 is supposed to be a compatible firmware for 2003.

My thought is that perhaps C2 was blocking it from playing, but it was an unofficial Eboot so I'm not sure what to think about how DW2003 simply won't run.

I'm going to test and see if these official Eboots work using the Keys.bins provided from Renascene + the C fix-3

I'm also wondering how I'll get my non-official Eboots to work, thanks for your input

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Official eBoots tend to come with the keys.bin anyway, I may test the game in question when I get time though see if I can get Digimon 3 EU working and make sure it is not just an issue with either the PSPGo or maybe your Pops install, lastly just the way you are building the eboot.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-June-2014 at 19:16.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Thanks, I appreciate it. It's probably my Pops installation though, I can't seem to get any games to run, unless they run from flash. I've centered my testing around Castlevania, which I already deleted, FFVII, and DW2003.

Downloading Ragnar's copy of FFVII, I'll test to see if it works. It probably should, as it doesn't require Popsloader since it's official.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I attached the modules folder contents to my last post, just extract that to the popsloader modules folder it has all the firmware versions, it even has 6.60 but you can delete that as it is currently not used

I would also make sure no other plugins are active as there may be conflicts, though I tend to have a few active at once myself, depends what you use I guess

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Ah thanks a bunch

Edit: What is this magic the file went from 3mb to 83mb that's some serious compression haha
    Edit: As far as conflicting plugins, the only other one I have active is cxmb
    Last edited by Levalier; 17th-June-2014 at 19:27.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Let me know if that helps or not

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Replaced Modules folder in my popsloader with the ones you attached
    Created a Legacy of Kain - Soul Reaver Eboot (SLUS-00708)

Legacy of Kain is supposed to be able to run on 3.72POPS however resulted in a blackscreen/crash on both attempts
    'Tested by dish: works with 3.72POPS, but with 3.90M33-2 opening CG movie won’t start (black screen).' - Compatibility list

The Eboot was created via ImpalerPSX
    0 compression, the only thing I did to it was an add ICON0 and PIC1
    I ~believe~ the Eboot is okay, if not I may download the .bin I used for the Eboot from a different source. Maybe that'll help?

I'm about to try DW2003 and see how that works with these new Modules.

Edit: Going to try and run an official FFVII Eboot, however not sure how to repair using PAR2
    Last edited by Levalier; 17th-June-2014 at 19:47.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Soul Reaver may have copy protection I know the PAL version does, not so sure about the NTSC version though

It does sound like it fixed nothing though

I am off to be now though, but if you like upload one of your eBoots then I can test it on my end when I get on next

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

I have a few others I can try.
    I'll make some Eboots of Spider-Man, Spyro, and Suikoden, and see if any of those work with their respective Pops compatibility.

I chose Legacy of Kain as a test because it seemed like an easy convert, with little to mess up on my part. Just putting the iso into Impaler and choosing the respective code should be enough.

Going to make the three new Eboots with ImpalerPSX, if none work I'll try with IceTea for a random one to see if the problem is my conversion.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You can also try downloading pre made PSX2PSP eBoots so atleast you can rule out building it

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

That was my next step, if Suikoden doesn't work in this moment then I'll try downloading some premade Eboots.

Suikoden (SLUS00292)

'3.90 Freezes when you entered then exit Neclord’s Castle in Neclord Sidequest. Just Set the Disc-Load Speed to normal – tested by kryst abegnalie'
    Two attempts in 3.90 Pops both met with a crash
    Luckily the game loads from flash, but this still doesn't solve why Pops isn't working.

Since the game loads from flash I doubt that the conversions I've been doing have been wrong, but I'll download some premade Eboots anyways and try them out. Maybe I'll look for some games that are known to work perfectly with certain Pops versions and see how they do on my Go.

I also still haven't managed to piece together that FF7 download yet, I'll look up a tutorial for repairing files with Par2

Edit: Managed to piece together the FF7. Easy in hindsight. Going to try it now.
    Edit: FF7 Official Eboot works fine.

Update: I've got Suikoden, Crash Bandicoot, FFVII, and Spyro all running fine from flash. My process to get them to work so far has been downloading premade Eboots, testing to see if they work, and if they do, extracting the iso, then remaking the eBoot with my own customizations.

I couldn't do that for the FFVII copy however, as the Eboot is encrypted. I found something call PSXtract however I have no clue on how to use it.

Digimon World 2003 is still a complete mystery. You simply can't find any premade Eboots of it, as all the torrents are dead. Without a premade Eboot, there's no method to the madness, as traditional methods don't work at all.

Update: I've got every PSX game I wanted to get running, except for Digimon World 2003. It refuses to run from flash, unlike the others, and is probably forever lost to me.

Who knows why, but whenever I downloaded a premade Eboot, it ran from flash. So all I did was extract the iso from it, then remake the eboot using my own customizations. A friend was nice enough to supply me with his Eboot, which worked for him, but apparently it doesn't have the same feelings for me.

Thanks for all of your help Zorlon

Update: All PSX games I wanted are now working. The only thing left is figuring out how Psxtract by Hykem works so I can customize my FF7 Eboot
    Last edited by Levalier; 19th-June-2014 at 09:07. Reason: posts merged - no double posting allowed