Thread: Wii Homebrew - Loading a backup disc of a GC game

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Wii Homebrew - Loading a backup disc of a GC game

I'm not new to modding or homebrew, actually quite far from it. I've done several things throughout my life; homebrew, softmodding, hardmodding, etc. But since the Nintendo Wii has come out, that has seemed to be my favorite hackable system, because not only is its security system(s) weak, but there is so much you can do and explore on the console itself.

But, on to the main topic. I have an external HDD that is 1TB (roughly 930GB, due to several formatting issues), that I use as my main source for...well, everything. I can easily load/download Wii games from the console onto the HDD, but whenever I try to download a Gamecube game (such as my ORIGINAL copy of Resident Evil 3: Nemesis), it won't work. It'll bring up some kind of error and say that it isn't a Wii disc, to please insert one...or something like that. So my question is, can I download the game via the Internet, put it on a backup disc (either a CD/DVD) and THEN download it? I have several GC games that I'd like to do this too, and would appreciate any help with the topic.

So I guess here are all of my questions, in a better format:

1) Can I download a GC off of the Internet and load it as a backup disc to play on the Wii?
    2) If yes for #1, does the disc have to be a CD, or a DVD? (I was thinking DVD, but I didn't want to ruin a perfectly good DVD)

Again, I appreciate all forms of feedback. NO, I'm NOT a pirate. I own Resident Evil 3 and simply just wish to have a back-up disc. Thank you all and have a great day!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Read this thread:
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...DIOS-MIOS-Lite

I have WODE installed on my Wii, so loading Wii/NGC images isn't a problem at all.

Spoiler warning:

3. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

So basically, I need either WODE or to load via SD with the correct FAT32 format settings? I read that thread (thank you, by the way), and it definitely helped me get out of the muddy waters with this issue, although I'm still at a loss. I can't copy/download my own GC games whenever I run CFG USB Loader, and I also have DIOS MIOS installed (I'm not sure if it's DIOS MIOS or the lite one, I think It's lite). I haven't had a problem downloading my own Wii games, that's not an issue. I would love to just put the downloaded GC games onto the FAT32 partition on my HDD, but like I said earlier, it doesn't read it.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

HDD is fine in-fact much better than SD or USB memsticks

again best to format as Fat32 with the exact sector setup

I use USB Loader GX myself but with that you can install from your own original discs direct to the HDD using Dios Mios, you do need to make sure you have the correct Dios Mios though as one only works from SD the other works from USB

If I remember correctly Lite is only for SD cards, a bit pointless for running from USB

I have my 2TB drive formatted to 3x fat32 partitions (that works fine for GC Wii Wii-Ware and Homebrew) 1st partition is the only one that works with Dios Mios (Dios Mios only looks at the first partition and that is the partition that needs to be the Fat32 format with 32KB clusters) can store GC games, so the first partition I use for GC games with a mix of Wii games also and even emulate Nand on the same partition with Wii ware and VC games middle partition is just Wii games and the last one has homebrew including emulators

It's all very easy once it's all setup though

On a side note for USB loaders though you may need a SVN or Beta version to have all the latest features such as Dios Mios and Nand emulation

There is also a second software homebrew way to load GC games but that you do require the original discs (just to verify the install, once verified the disc is no longer needed) that is ok for the games you own but not ok if you are trying to run a backup on the Wii without the original disc, that is when Dios Mios comes in handy but games that use Audio Streaming may have missing music (most games do not have streamed audio and only Star Fox Adventures uses Streamed audio for voices that does make that game hard to enjoy but I think that is the only game that has streamed audio for voices).

I am not officially back by the way so can't give full support at this moment in time.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 16th-May-2014 at 19:22.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Lite is only for SD, huh? That could explain a few things...

I appreciate all of the help! I'll have to do an analysis of my Wii pretty soon, and sorry for the late reply, I've been busy all day and will continue to be busy. It seems as if every time I try to work on my own little side project(s), something always seems to come up and get in the way. Still, I'm really glad that there are places such as Emuparadise that help people like me with their problems.

Again, thank you all and I will post once I figure out what it is that I'm doing

...Oh, another thing. Whenever I run an original GC game on my Wii, through the ACTUAL Disc Channel, such as Resident Evil 3 or Super Mario Sunshine, DIOS MIOS appears for a few seconds, and then the game cuts in...is it supposed to do that? That's the only time that I actually see DIOS MIOS in action, and I didn't think that it would work on the Disc Channel, seeing as how I can't copy/download the game to my HDD. Still, I'll check it out and investigate it. Again, thank you!

Okay, I figured out what needed to be done!

From all that I've read, DIOS MIOS is for the HDD/USB, while Lite is for the SD. So I downloaded and installed the latest version of DIOS MIOS, same with my USB Loader GX (Version 3.0, I believe). I installed the Channel/Forwarder(s) as well, and when I clicked "Install a Game" button (at the bottom left), it installed my copy of Resident Evil 3! Thank you all so much, I really appreciate everything!
    Last edited by Itsutsume; 17th-May-2014 at 02:31. Reason: To add more information

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

GC Original yeah that is normal you have replaced the driver for GC loading after all

Glad to hear you got that working though

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR