Thread: Need some opinions on 3DS

Thanks

Default Need some opinions on 3DS

My friend went for an exchange program in Japan. He is going to bring in some 3DS XL's (they cost half the price there). I was wondering if you could answer some of my questions.

1. Backwards compatibility means a lot to me. I know that 3DS is backwards compatible with DS titles (It's about 100% as far as I know). However many people complain about the blurriness due to the difference in resolution of both systems. Now If you have both the systems, could you tell me what do you think if you compare them?

I know that there is an option to use a smaller portion of the screen but apperently it makes the screen even smaller than the original ds. Are there any alternative sizes for the active screen, or only two options?

I'd rather have blown out pixels than a tiny screen, does it look really that bad? Is it really blurry? Because I will be playing a lot of DS titles, and for a long time only ds titles, since Gateway is not popular around here (gateway is the card that allows you to run 3DS roms) and I will be using a regular R4.

2) This console will come from Japan, but as far as I know none of the cards have region locks and neither the 3DS itself. Will this cause any problems when running NTSC-U or PAL games? Will R4 or Gateway have any problems with this?

3) Is there alternative language options for the NTSC-J console as well? Can I choose English or any other European Language?

4) In order to be able to play DS or 3DS roms with R4 or Gateway, I think the 3DS should be on a specific firmware. Which firmwares are fine and which are not? Is there a tip like a code number or something that gives away the initial firmware of the device?

Again, I'd really like to remind you that DS games are really important for me and I really care about the quality I will get from them.

Please pm me or post here if you have any useful information oor advice.

Any help will be much appreciated, thank you.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

1) The DS is the same sized display on both DS and 3DS (black side borders on a 3DS), so that is a complete Myth even the XL is not blurred either but has a bigger display

2) The 3DS is the first handheld by Nintendo to actually have region locking (though that does not effect flash kits, but you will only be able to play Jap 3DS games both retail and via the Gateway kit)

2) CORRECTION Gateway has Region spoofing so in theory should be fine playing imports, DS mode should still be region free though anyway, via both retail carts and via flash kits

3) I don't know that

4) For DS games any version firmware is fine as long as the flsh kit supports that, recommend SuperCard DSTWO over the R4 kits though, but for the Gateway and clone kits for 3DS games you do need an exact firmware version

I would say don't buy a Jap 3DS though and just go for a localized region 3DS or 3DSXL

The Gateway kit itself has come a long way but has some way to go yet still
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-June-2014 at 07:23.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR