Thread: Sound issue with Mario and Luigi games on Desmume

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Sound issue with Mario and Luigi games on Desmume

I'm currently running desmume versoin 0.9.10 64 bit. System specs are win7 professional 64 bit, 12GB RAM, CPU I7-3770 3.4GHz, graphics card is nvidia GeForce GT 620, sound software i'm using is Realtek high defintion audio. Now finally on to the issue in question......The problem i have is that on the right side of the screen(in or out of battle) sound effects are almost muted. Here is an example screenshot of an area in Mario and Luigi Bowser's inside story where the issue occurs Sound effects(not music) are almost entirely muted in the example location, and like stated above pretty much anywhere on the right side of the screen. Sound effects volume returns to normal in the middle and left sides of the screen. Non mario and luigi games do not suffer this problem. I've tried taking a look at sound settings in the emulator and fiddling with them to no avail. I've also tried digging around in the sound mixer without luck, the balance between both speakers is equal. Thoughts?

Thanks
    EP Points

Attach your save file here, see if I can reproduce the problem.
    vc3 released.

Thanks
    EP Points

sure, here you go. The rom i'm using is from here as well. Link to the rom i'm using http://www.emuparadise.me/Nintendo_D...hobia%29/50242 Just walk to the far right of the area(enemies are dead already) without actually changing areas, thats the spot from the sceenshot above. Its not limited to just that area though, the right side of ANY area seems to suffer this issue. The sound effects wind up still hearable, but sounding like someone turned mute on. . Again though, note this only affects sound effects, music is entirely unaffected.
    Last edited by rmcin329; 8th-May-2014 at 16:24.

Thanks
    EP Points

By sound effect you mean the jumping sound when on the right side of the screen? Well, it happen to me as well, tried changing few settings but no luck,
    I'm guessing that's how the game normally sounded like even on the actual NDS?

Well, at least the sound is not fully muted, and still hearable though.
    vc3 released.

Thanks
    EP Points

yes for jumping, but also hitting blocks gets muted (assuming they had an item in them), people who are on the right side of the screen in cut scenes even get muted. I don't know how the game sounds on an actual NDS sorry. I had a rather nasty freeze at the first battle with Bowser and Midgard earlier today, but was able to get help from the desmume forums to sort that one out.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Does no$gba run this any better or does it have other issues?

P.S. can you export a battery file so it can be loaded into other emulators

EDIT seems to be working for me I am using software for graphics, not sure what is preventing sound from working though but the rest of the settings are on default as far as I know, then again my machine is far too slow for DS emulation with DeSmuME so kind of hard to tell
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-May-2014 at 08:05.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I have no$gba installed with zoomer, but have not used it in quite some time, i do not know how it runs this game. As requested here is an exported save file attached to this post. This save is a LOT further along then the previously uploaded one (specifically its RIGHT before you fight Bowser's Castle), but the area shown in the screenshot above can still be reached(its somewhere within the trash pit inside Bowser's body, press A or B to switch control from Bowser to the Mario Bros.) All in all, this isn't really a serious issue, just a moderate annoyance.

EDIT
    As for your machine being too slow for desmume, try going into config, emulation settings and turning on the "dymanic recompiler". If you don't see that listed in there, then you'd have to update to a newer version of the emulator.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rmcin329; 10th-May-2014 at 08:35.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I already exported the save myself that works fine in No$gba, as for running it best you check that yourself it seemed ok for me but sound was not great for me but I am on a low end laptop.

P.S. still too slow lol my laptop really is too slow then again I have a 3DS XL anyway with a DS Flash kit and to be honest prefer the real console over emulating especially for touch screen games or for combo of touch screen and buttons

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Right now i'm trying to deal with a more serious issue on desmume with the game. Mic works great in Mic test for the game, no problem. But in the fight against Bowser's castle, the Mic doesn't work at all for trying to breath fire. Tried it with it set to internal noise sample, and with it set to rand whitenoise both, neither one does anything at all for trying to get the attack to work. The other 2 options i can't make use of, since i don't have a Mic i can hook up, and the other requires a pre recorded sound sample(something i dont have)

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

pre recorded sound sample just sounds like it could be just about any raw sound file so shouldn't be hard to get one

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Honestly i'm not a big music fan, so i dont have anything of that sort floating around heh.

EDIT
    looks like it only accepts 8bit mono .wav files as well.

EDIT AGAIN
    grabbed a copy of a .wav file i found after a fair bit of digging on the desmume forums. Seems to work okay, have to constantly tap for "excellent", just holding it only seems to net "good". I'll post again if I run into further issues down the road.
    Last edited by rmcin329; 10th-May-2014 at 10:23.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Thats great

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]