Thread: Quick Question About Video Card Upgrade

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Quick Question About Video Card Upgrade

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my computer and I know practically nothing about how to do so. I've already gotten a few pointers from the guys on skype chat and another friend of mine, but I wanted to make sure what I'm planning to do is worth doing or if I can get the same stuff for cheaper and whatnot.

I've been told to make sure it's compatible a lot but I have no idea what that means. So really any help in that respect would be much appreciated.

I planned on buying this to upgrade my video card for it's price and it's apparently pretty decent from what I'm told.

Here's my current setup. I was told that just upgrading my video card should last me for a couple years at least.
    Thanks guys and let me know if you need more info.

EDIT: Also, what's the difference between the normal version and the overclocked one that's 30 dollars more?

Last edited by Corey; 26th-April-2014 at 20:36.

Thanks
    EP Points

That's the best card for the money in that price range. This has a better cooler and is about the same price.
    http://slickdeals.net/f/6883420-msi-...bate-at-newegg

EDIT: Also it appears it's already OC'ed

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by markbarkins View Post
    That's the best card for the money in that price range. This has a better cooler and is about the same price.
    http://slickdeals.net/f/6883420-msi-...bate-at-newegg

EDIT: Also it appears it's already OC'ed
    OC = overclock I know, but what's that actually do? Also, I read the thread and they mentioned multiple cards? Would i be able to use my current one in addition to this one to... get more graphics or how does that work?

Thanks
    EP Points

No. When you SLI (mulitple cards) you cause both cards to run at the speed of the slower card. And 1 x gtx 760 >>>>>>> 2x gtx 260's. Also, I'm not sure if trying to SLI a 260 with a 760 would even work.

Overclocking just means that the Cards Core clock and memory clock will run faster. As in they will process faster giving a boost in performance.

From looking at your specs, you should see a pretty drastic increase in performance going from a gtx 260 to a gtx 760. It is definitely money well spent.

EDIT: Also, with the 760 you can run DirectX 11.2 if you upgrade to Windows 8.1, which has some significant performance boosting features.

Edit 2:
    PassMark - G3D Mark has the 760 at ~ 5000 and the 260 at ~1100. Almost 5 times as powerful.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
    Last edited by markbarkins; 27th-April-2014 at 03:11.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

5. The Following User Says Thank You to markbarkins For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Alright thanks so much for the help. Now I just have to scrape the money together.