Thread: Internet not connecting on a laptop

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Internet not connecting on a laptop

So my friend is having problems with internet on the laptop, it wont connect, it registers the connection but wont connect to it at all. I have tried all I can, from restarting the computer, to resetting the wifi card (turning it on and off via laptop) and the router was reset but it messed up again. Any tips? it is windows 7 and an acer.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by garrendesares View Post
    So my friend is having problems with internet on the laptop, it wont connect, it registers the connection but wont connect to it at all. I have tried all I can, from restarting the computer, to resetting the wifi card (turning it on and off via laptop) and the router was reset but it messed up again. Any tips? it is windows 7 and an acer.
    What type of Acer is it? It may be the same kind my girlfriend has, which has an inherent flaw in their wifi cards.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Ultra-T...sue/td-p/19147

There's a fix that only seems to work for some folks if so. If not I won't be any help I'm afraid.

Thanks
    EP Points

its not a touch screen but i will try it. like i said, its windows 7 original

Thanks
    EP Points

Have you tried connecting your laptop with an ethernet cable to your router? The wireless on either the laptop or the router itself may be faulty.

Thanks
    EP Points

yeah its the only laptop that wont connect to it. 2 laptops that are acers wont connect oddly. and the ipod or cellphone wont connect.

Thanks
    EP Points

It sounds like it's most likely an issue with the wireless router, try resetting it to default settings?

Thanks
    EP Points

it has been reset and the laptop still disconnects. shes going to have her uncle look at it.

Thanks
    EP Points

It may be time to get a new router.

Thanks
    EP Points

I would agree, but its only 2 laptops and 1 cellphone not connecting, however, we have 3 laptops, 1 xbox360, 2 ps3 connected to it and they used to have more. and its only one person having the problems too. the router they have is arris

Thanks
    EP Points

If there was only one laptop not connecting I would have suggested get a new wireless connection but since it's many are you sure you reset every setting such as a new SSID, new password, new settings, everything?

Thanks
    EP Points

well its not my connection its theirs. im not going to say anything about it as we all agreed that we would just let someone who thinks they know everything about computers (imo) figure it out.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by garrendesares View Post
    I would agree, but its only 2 laptops and 1 cellphone not connecting, however, we have 3 laptops, 1 xbox360, 2 ps3 connected to it and they used to have more. and its only one person having the problems too. the router they have is arris
    Hmm.. So they an arris router, is the Internet Service Provider Time Warner Cable? Some ISP plans limit the amount of wireless devices (computers, consoles, mobile devices) that can connect at the same time.

As for router, it wouldn't hurt to lower the default router firewall settings to "Custom" or off and/or changing the SSID Passphrase (mentioned by Tassadar) to something else to see if they can connect or not.

As for the machine side, checking the laptop's current wireless adapter to make sure that no "Static" IP or DNS is assigned wouldn't hurt by right clicking properties on the wireless adapter, then highlighting the internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and chose properties.

Also, is there a cordless home phone by the router?

Thanks
    EP Points

Some ISP plans limit the amount of wireless devices (computers, consoles, mobile devices) that can connect at the same time.
    Assuming their modem isn't somehow built to only accept approved routers (or heaven forbid it's one of those modem/router combo boxes), I would think they could just buy their own router instead to get around that. Granted I've never even heard of such a thing, this is news to me

checking the laptop's current wireless adapter to make sure that no "Static" IP or DNS is assigned wouldn't hurt
    I'd just like to expand upon this a bit for the OP. Basically when your adapter is set to use a "Static" IP that means you assign a specific address for that particular computer on your network, and when it's set to a "Dynamic" IP, that means the computer gets a new address each time it connects to the router. Here's a visual aid showing which option is which;

It's important when you have more than one computer connecting to a single router that they're all either set to Static or Dynamic, not a mix of the two. Basically the dynamic ones can end up trying to take one of the static computers addresses and cause connection issues, and vice versa. In any case if you aren't able to get it figured out with what you have and decide to get a new router, I would highly recommend one of these.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points