Thread: Xbox Error 05 fix with Windows 7

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Xbox Error 05 fix with Windows 7

Okay, I REALLY need help.

A while ago, I sold my original Xbox that was modded with Unleash X to someone. Then, for reasons unknown, they fucked it up somehow and returned it.

I'm stuck with this thing that keeps giving me error 05 as I'm trying to get it up and running as I finally have an IDE to USB converter.

I don't have an IDE PC, so this is my only option.

Any way to fix it with Windows 7?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Moved from Everything Emulation, you clearly are not emulating the Xbox to Everything Console/Microsoft

Will find out what the 05 error is first

P.S. do you have a Desktop at all or just a Laptop?

EDIT:-

05 = HDD not locked (eeprom required to lock the hdd)

You need the key from your xbox to be able to lock the drive

i.e. the noob unlocked the drive without keeping the eeprom to re-lock it

You require a desktop to be able to re-lock the drive now as-well as the eeprom from your xbox (must be from the actual xbox) to do that
    You can get IDE controller boards for new machines (USB converters/enclosures do not work though)

If you no longer have the eeprom you also need to recover that from your xbox, the only way I know of, if your xbox is not bootable, that yours no longer is, is via an eeprom reader but to use that you also need a PC with a 9 pin serial port (again a USB dongle adapter would not do, you would need a board for that also if your desktop does not have that port)

Once you have everything needed you just need to burn a certain Linux disc (with the eeprom file included) and boot the desktop from that to lock the HDD with the eeprom file
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-June-2015 at 12:01.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I have the eeprom as I was smart enough to backup my Xbox when I modded it. I just need to find a way to lock the drive with a Windows 7 PC.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

As I said you do need an IDE port but you can get a card for modern PC's that have IDE ports anyway allowing you to hook the HDD just fine

You can create the Lunix boot CD with your Win7 machine just fine that is not an issue at all, but when you go to boot the boot the PC up via that linux CD I would remove all internal drives and just have the Xbox drive in there via the IDE board, just to make sure you don't mess up your Win7 HDD by mistake.

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?85589 has a guide for locking the drive (it's actually a guide for upgrading the HDD but that does include unlocking and locking a drive and how to build the Linux CD)

Once you have you Linux CD it's easy

Cards you can get vary and I have not personally tried any of them

Bellow are just 2 examples, they are not really recommendations just the first 2 I seen

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Port-SATA-Ex...words=IDE+card
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com...words=IDE+card
    Last edited by Zorlon; 1st-May-2014 at 10:37.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Has the XBOX in question even been Chipped or TSOP flashed? If so you could use something like the Slayers EvoX Auto Installer Disc v2.7 to fire-up ConfigMagic to re-lock that Drive.

If you absolutely have no choice but to lock it from the PC. Then you'll need a PC that still has a P-ATA (IDE) Interface on it. I gather that much like the 32-bit PCI Connectors. These things have gone the way of the Dodo in newer Systems. So as long as you can connect that Drive to the PC you should be able to lock it.

Now someone had suggested using XBOX Hard Disk Maker (i.e. XBHDM), to do this. If you're on a AMD System that may well work. For those of us using Intel... We'll we're forked! XBHDM DOES NOT WORK... well on Intel Systems. Why?! ...It just doesn't.

If all you need to to is to Lock or, unlock a HDD. Then all you need to do is to make a bootable USB Stick. See HERE
    And download ATAPWD.exe HERE (It should be the very first File!), then copy past it to your Bootable USB Stick.

You should be able to either use the correct HDD Key, whatever that was. Or the Master Password "TEAMASSEMBLY" to either unlock, or in your case to re-lock the HDD. This shouldn't either risk the HDD eiter. AFAIK XBHDM can format, and repartition it, as well as locking, and unlocking. And it should work fine on any System Intel or AMD.

Just make sure that the Jumpers on the HDD / CD DVD BR are set. If need be, chances are that they don't since the XBOX HDD is already the Master. It may well be also advisable to remove your Windows/Linux/Other HDD to preserve it while your doing this. So you don't accidentally lock the wrong Drive.

Thanks
    EP Points

Another really good post Ichijoe, just in a really old thread. Closed.