Thread: Need assistance Mix-Mode CDR Burning

Thanks

Default Need assistance Mix-Mode CDR Burning

I am an oldie but, a newbie here. I have built a very large game collection and I want to revisit playing the games on the systems. Many of my games have been sealed and kept in collector quality. Problem is.... cannot play them.
    One of these is the Sega CD. I have about 95+ titles and looking how to burn the ISO/WAV properly on a CDR to be played on the Sega CD. The games I know are in Mix-mode where the CD has 2 ISO types and one is the data and the other is audio. I used to be able to burn these waaaaayyy back when I was running Mac OS8. Now with modern day CDR drives and blu-ray this feature is long gone. Now, I run Windows 7 and need of a program and know how.

Can you help? Thanks if you can....

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Burn via the cue sheet files you should have a cue file as well as the standard bin + wav files

the cue sheet tells whatever burning program that is used what tracks are in the disc image (even if the game comes as a single binary file as those can also have CDDA tracks (Compact Disc Digital Audio)) some images may come in ccd+img format, the ccd file just acts the same as a cue file but is coded, but does the exact same job

As for any special method there is none, it's just basic stuff (DAO/SAO should be used but that is set by default in every burning program I have used) [Disc at once/Session at once, Sega CD only have one session anyway, but multi tracks, using TAO [Track at once will 90% of the time make a bad burn especially with multi/mix mode discs]] , additionally you will need to make sure you only use the correct regional games, unless you have a flash kit that can change the region of the CD bios or other mods if there are any (You can however mod the disc images to have the correct region before you burn then the only issue is running those at the correct speed (that is a 50Hz vs 60Hz/PAL vs NTSC thing though))

Sega CD games if a PAL 50Hz game is ran on a console that is NTSC 60Hz or vice versa the game has a high chance of either not working, crashing or simply going out of sync, not much you can do there unless you mod the CD bios to be a matching region (some Sega Megadrive/Genesis Flash kits can do that for CD games)

Best quality burns always stick to the slowest burning speed possible (easiest way is to just set 1x as the burning speed but the software should burn faster than that with modern burners, but as long as it is it's burning at the slowest speed you should get a good burn, even if that is at 10x rather than 1x)

For windows just use ImgBurn it's free software, though almost every burning software for PC and Mac can burn via a cue sheet file, so if you are on a Mac just stick to Mac OS and use whatever burning software it comes with now, last time I used a Mac that was toast, but I'm going back to OS9 not used a Mac for many years now

For ImgBurn only change the burn speed settings, otherwise everything else can be left as default (same applies to most every type of disc image except for Dreamcast disc images that need a few additional things doing first)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 18th-April-2014 at 14:31.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR