Thread: friggin adware crap...

Thanks
    EP Points

Default friggin adware crap...

i did a bad download a few nights ago that made avast popup 2-3 alerts and suffice it to say i now have ads popping up and getting past adblock. worst part is, i tried doing a full system scan with avast! earlier after killing my laptops internet connection first (the obvious first step) but it seems avast can no longer do a full system scan as it stopped and said "some files could not be scanned". it didn't even reach 1% so i'm open to suggestions here as i REALLY don't like freaking ads if i should try a different antivirus, which one?

some of said ads are the ad link type which make words on a page look dark orange and have a ad appear when the cursor is over them, then on gamefaqs i saw those pop-over ads on the side and bottom of the pages.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Avast is crap, use AVG free and Malwarebytes and if that dont work use the Dr Web live CD (can put it on a flash drive too) and boot it up after restarting your PC, connect to the net to make sure it can update its database so it can do a proper scan.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

ah, worth a shot if nothing else. avast lasted me this long but i'll give avg a try

edit: ok, installed avg and did a full scan and i was right, 4 generic adware but it also found a few trojans, corruptions and so on totally 15 risks that were then fixed.

sorry avast!, looks like you've just dropped behind in usefulness a bit.
    Last edited by treos; 26th-March-2014 at 19:58.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Dont forget to get and update/scan with malwarebytes, its not a antivirus so it can be ran along with AVG.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

I'd make sure to start in safe mode with networking then scan with malwarebytes. A lot of times it will miss stuff if you start it after logging in.
    I'm listening but I don't hear very much...

Thanks
    EP Points

If it's really stubborn/nasty. Hit it with Combofix first and then finish with Malwarebytes.