Thread: NEO GEO running on emulationstation in RetroPie image 1.9.1 Raspberry Pi

Thanks

Smile NEO GEO running on emulationstation in RetroPie image 1.9.1 Raspberry Pi

Raspberry Pi model B
    RetroPie image 1.9.1

Hey all

I hope I don't break any rules here with my first post - I have read through the rules but am kinda new to the whole forum thing so forgive me and edit my post (mods) as you see fit should I be breaking any rules.

I would like to ask if anyone at this forum is using a Raspberry Pi as I am and in particular has anyone been able to get NEO GEO games running either in piFBA or one of the other emulators such as gngeo0.7 or gngeo-pi0.85 (or MAME variants)?

I understand that a BIOS is required and that there are several out there - I'm not asking for a link to the correct BIOS and/or game files that match up with that particular BIOS version but I was wondering if someone could tell me where the BIOS files need to be placed in the directory structure of RetroPie version 1.9.1 in regard to the emulator which you may currently be using. I would also like to know if you have the BIOS files zipped or unzipped.

Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The bios files always go in the same folder as the roms

I don't use one of these machines, but that is the same for every FBA port and MAME variants

The roms should always be zipped including the bios image

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Yep - Cheers for the response Zorlon

I got it sorted and thought I'd better get back here.

What you have mentioned is what I had done - needed the right BIOS and then just tried different games.

For anyone else who might come across this thread owning an RPi, the es_systems.cfg file at /home/pi/.emulationstation/ also needs to be edited for best results. That is there is way more chance of running games using piFBA so comment out the line starting with COMMAND = relating to the currently used neo geo emulator and uncomment the line straight underneath it relating to piFBA which starts with something along the lines of # Alternatively use COMMAND = blah blah/blah/..../........... piFBA

Hope this may be of assistance to someone if they are doing a RetroPie project.