Thread: Virtual Boy Emu Runs gameboy Games

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Virtual Boy Emu Runs gameboy Games

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/nin...rtual-boy.html

Okay so the Virtual Boy may not have been the groundbreaking three dimensional offering everyone hoped for back in 1995, but nearly twenty years later it has a lot more to shout about... especially given that somebody has just brought the entire back-catalogue of Game Boy games to the device.

Simply named as the 'Game Boy Emulator', this recent addition to the Planet Virtual Boy Coding Competition is going to turn plenty of heads given that it’s surprisingly good, despite running on dated hardware. According to the forum posts on the emulator’s release thread, gamers have been able to enjoy the likes of Pokemon Red / Blue, Super Mario Land and many other classics in red and black.

While the emulator does throw a few new visual treats into the mix, it does, however, come with plenty of graphical and gameplay glitches - as to be expected with an early release. We very much hope these bugs are eventually ironed out, as being able to defeat the Elite Four and blast down Tatanga on the Virtual Boy is worth any headache it may bring.

An early version of the Game Boy Emulator for Virtual Boy has been released online for download. You can either play this emulator on the original hardware using a FlashBoy, or through a Virtual Boy emulator on PC. Full instructions can be found in the download.
    Link:
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.

When I first saw thais, I was really hoping for the other way around; a GB playing VB ROMs.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazzmarazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

I setup a VB emulator the other day on my PC and got the right 3D glasses to use with it. The wario game, a shooter-em-up, and a few other games actually look really neat. They are also fun to play. I may have to check this out ASAP. Thanks.
    Twenty Minutes Into The Future

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Personally I would like to eventually see Visual Boy games on a 3DS in black and white but working with the 3D slider, that to be honest would not take much for Nintendo to implement

The 3D is already done, though knowing Nintendo they would over charge for those games that are rather simplistic games to start with

This does make me wonder how many actually own a Virtual Boy and how many have access to be able to flash this to a flash kit, homemade or otherwise, e.g. FlashBoy
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-March-2014 at 20:40.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    This does make me wonder how many actually own a Virtual Boy and how many have access to be able to flash this to a flash kit, homemade or otherwise, e.g. FlashBoy
    I guarantee that it is not many.

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Given the system's short lifespan, only 22 games were released. Of them, 19 games were released in the Japanese market, while 14 were released in North America.[25]
    All of the games could be redone on a single cart, but I doubt they will even get as far as a digital DL. There is just not enough interest and even less people who know what the thing is!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah kinda wishful thinking then again I would not of thought this would of ever been done with a GameBoy emu for use with a Virtual Boy system, as far interest goes should be just about none, though still interesting that it was done in the first place, not so sure about anyone actually using it though except for pure curiosity.

LOL I don't get why they went with the red n black back then it would of worked fine in B/W, or Black/Gray

Virtual Boy was a great idea at the time it just did not work out that's all, the idea was just poorly implimented

Virtual Boy 2 in full colour (not the 3DS) would be cool 2 screens still Left eye right eye, none of that silly hold the screen at the correct angle distance for it to work

I actually believe something like this is being done, not sure of the 3D but goggles and interactive controllers... there is always something like this being developed though and hardly any of it gets to see the light of day or only gets used in professional simulators and occasionally Amusement Arcade systems (not particularly games)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 6th-March-2014 at 13:58.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Yeah kinda wishful thinking then again I would not of thought this would of ever been done with a GameBoy emu for use with a Virtual Boy system, as far interest goes should be just about none, though still interesting that it was done in the first place, not so sure about anyone actually using it though except for pure curiosity.

LOL I don't get why they went with the red n black back then it would of worked fine in B/W, or Black/Gray

Virtual Boy was a great idea at the time it just did not work out that's all

Virtual Boy 2 in full colour (not the 3DS) would be cool 2 screens still Left eye right eye, none of that silly hold the screen at the correct angle distance for it to work

I actually believe something like this is being done, not sure of the 3D but goggles and interactive controllers... there is always something like this being developed though and hardly any of it gets to see the light of day or only gets used in professional simulators and occasionally Amusement Arcade systems (not particularly games)
    I wouldn't mind wearing goggles to play portable consoles. Yeah, the 3D gimmick on the 3DS is cool, but it's still a gimmick. I don't use it (apart from seeing how the 3d looks, and sometimes it doesn't look THAT 3D) and to be honest I'd use it more wearing glasses.
    Still, I love when people do release emulators for defunct consoles, and I think the red colouring fits with the Gameboy.

Check my YouTube for gameplay and pickup videos!

Steam|Youtube