Thread: VBA-M Throttle goes too fast!

Thanks

Default VBA-M Throttle goes too fast!

Maybe I'm not googling enough, but I can't seem to find much in the way of what I'm looking for.

I'm using VBA-M (SVN1228) and I'd would like to have some games (read: classic Pokemon) run at 200% or 300% speed. 100% works just fine, but once I try to use the Speed>Throttle option, it jumps way too high (like 3000%!). Even throttling it to 25% ends up with a speed somewhere near 400%, which is too fast. I don't want to use Frame Skip, as it makes the gameplay look choppy, and I don't want to keep hitting the space bar on a regular basis. My thumb would prefer it if I can just have it at a fixed speed.

I seem to remember back with the first US Pokemon Stadium on the N64, you could play the original games at 2x and 4x speeds with no problem at all, so I'm surprised that this emulator can't seem to do that. Am I underestimating the difficulty of emulating at a specific speed?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Under throttle there should be a manual option Other... you can set your own values here 100% is full speed anything higher is faster than normal anything under is less than normal speed

You are getting odd results for frame skip though that I would keep that as Auto or 0 and Throttle at 100% to get the speed it should run at then just change throttle to what you need

Emulator>Speed up toggle or OptionsEmulatorSpeedUpToggle short cut key will make it fly off without any limits (I presume that is what you have been using)

Tools>Cutomize though you can assign keys for Throttle 150% or 200% and 100% so you can switch back, you can even set Throttle Custom to pop up on a key press, this can also be done via a control pad if you use one, I would stick to those 3 though 100% 150% and 200% it can be a bit too fast at anything higher, but if you are wanting faster then set the Other... option to a shortcut key also
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-March-2014 at 09:43.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Under throttle there should be a manual option Other... you can set your own values here 100% is full speed anything higher is faster than normal anything under is less than normal speed

You are getting odd results for frame skip though that I would keep that as Auto or 0 and Throttle at 100% to get the speed it should run at then just change throttle to what you need

Emulator>Speed up toggle or OptionsEmulatorSpeedUpToggle short cut key will make it fly off without any limits (I presume that is what you have been using)

Tools>Cutomize though you can assign keys for Throttle 150% or 200% and 100% so you can switch back, you can even set Throttle Custom to pop up on a key press, this can also be done via a control pad if you use one, I would stick to those 3 though 100% 150% and 200% it can be a bit too fast at anything higher, but if you are wanting faster then set the Other... option to a shortcut key also
    I appreciate your input, though looking through your answer, I suppose I wasn't completely clear.

I have been using the Options > Speed > Throttle and trying to use the settings available there. However, regardless of what I set the Throttle to, even with the Other... option, it simply goes too fast. I have even tried to set it way below 100% (like 10% or 5%), just to see if I would get some desirable results, but it still jumps up to 400-500%. It's as if whenever I toggle some kind of throttle, regardless of what speed I choose, it simply goes as fast as possible.

I seem to remember, when I was trying to look into this exact issue a few years ago, reading something about how VBA's Throttle option was broken, and no one had bothered to fix it. When I began thinking about it again in the past week, I figured that if I downloaded the latest version, this might be fixed, but this doesn't seem to be the case (or I'm doing it wrong).

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

All I can think of is that you have Emulator>Speed up toggle on when it should be off

If all else fails delete the config file and start again

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Default THE FIX *clapclapclapclapclapclapclap*

Just go into Options>Audio>Output API and check "Sync game to audio" as this will force the game to run as fast as the audio.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by sawg View Post
    Just go into Options>Audio>Output API and check "Sync game to audio" as this will force the game to run as fast as the audio.
    We appreciate that you are willing to help, but this thread is way too old I'm closing it now.