Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is your faverate retro RPG? and why?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    We aren't old, we are experienced.

PS2 and Xbox are great budget gaming choices. PS2 really only has a handful or two of legitimate rares.

I mean, we were still getting real PS2 game releases as late as 09-10 and sports games were going through last year (after the PS4 was released even, which I find amusing for some reason) so yeah, it's not really retro. It's interesting though because the system came out in 2000 so the early games are right on the fringe of being retro I'd say.

Pre-2000 PC is retro imo. And I think BG, IWD, PST all hold up today as good games. BG EE was junk, mildly disappointed but would have been really disappointed if I had expected big things from it.
    Definitely, I recall the second Raidou game (King Abaddon or something like that) getting released really late into the console's life cycle.

Yeah, the reason I said nostalgia was mostly because I haven't played BG since... well, since I beat it as a kid all those years ago. I'm sure the Infinity Engine games hold up fine, they're probably better than certain new RPGs in the dialogue department (back when you could pick from 5-6 well-written options and not just the same old three good-neutral-evil like it is today.)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Definitely, I recall the second Raidou game (King Abaddon or something like that) getting released really late into the console's life cycle.

Yeah, the reason I said nostalgia was mostly because I haven't played BG since... well, since I beat it as a kid all those years ago. I'm sure the Infinity Engine games hold up fine, they're probably better than certain new RPGs in the dialogue department (back when you could pick from 5-6 well-written options and not just the same old three good-neutral-evil like it is today.)
    Yeah that was 09 I think. I put 09-10 cause I wasn't completely sure but there were plenty of real games that came out in that time frame. The merits of each game can be debated but when I say real game I just mean non-sports, non-licensed movie games. The PS2 has had a really impressive run.

I actually play through them with some level of regularity, BG Saga more than the others but I've beat them all multiple times. It helps that I know them like the back of my hand I'm sure but really after the first run it gets a lot quicker. Basically Gypsy to BG Saga is Sprung to Mass Effect Trilogy. I really have no idea how many times I've went through it at this point. And yeah PST is probably still the best written RPG to date, which is good since, you know, you basically read that game.

Thanks
    EP Points

Xenogears -> For my favorite story-telling in any game I've played to date. Because of the complexity of the "what-the-fuck is going on" moments and the pacing of the reveals. It also had the least trite romance in any JRPG I've played. And it dealt with complex and mature themes.

Also kung-fu and giant robots.

I dont know where, I just woke up, an island maybe?
    Thanks
    EP Points

YEAH! Xenogear's is awsome, Im still working on it omost to disc 2, it's had such a great story so far I cant wait to se how it all end's

Thanks
    EP Points

NES: Sweet Home. Really well done RPG with creepy story and tense atmosfere. Mansion in which game takes place is full of gory details, enemies are pretty disturbing, and there is also permadeath - if a character dies, he dies forever. All these aspects turn a simple JRPG into a nerve-wrecking survival horror.
    Also, it was made by Capcom and regarded as a granddaddy of Resident Evil.

Mega Drive/Genesis: Shining Force: Legacy of Great Invention. Because it was my first J(T)RPG and an only license cart in my little Genesis collection. So I've played it a lot. Really liked the animated sequences during battles.

SNES: I haven't completed that many SNES RPG's, and I still have a gigantic "to-play" list, so right now I'm going with FFVI. I completed Chrono Trigger, but didn't liked it too much. Final battles with Lavos always were really epic, and the OST is gorgeous, but I won't label it as a "best SNES RPG ever".

PS: Wild Arms. I simply love this game, it's "Wild West meets Fantasy meets Sci-fi" setting, blend between Zelda-like exploration and Final Fantasy-like battles, characters, music...everything is packed with "feels". That funeral scene in the prologue gets to me every time.

PS2: Shadow Hearts. Because story is grim, characters are interesting, atmosfere is a pure "ye olde gothic horror", battle system is unique, and it has a really creepy art style, with enemy desighs rivaling Silent Hill itself. Very detailed descriptions for basically everything included.
    Sadly, but Covenant decided to go down a "lighter route", more humor, less horror, and while it's still a great game, I like the first one more, which, while *slightly* inferior in gameplay and graphics, still superior in atmosfere and desigh.
    And I don't even want to talk about the third one.
    Last edited by Net Spectre; 3rd-March-2014 at 16:37.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by markbarkins View Post
    Xenogears -> For my favorite story-telling in any game I've played to date. Because of the complexity of the "what-the-fuck is going on" moments and the pacing of the reveals. It also had the least trite romance in any JRPG I've played. And it dealt with complex and mature themes.

Also kung-fu and giant robots.
    Don' forget to read the Xenobible if you beaten the game, tells you EVERYTHING about the story, especially the meaty stuff that was not mentioned in the game.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well the first thing that comes to mind is Final Fantasy but I'm kinda over that game. In that case I'd choose Chrono Trigger. Loveable cast (esp Chrono XD), awesome story, shocking to know it has like 20 endings, nice battle system, nice teamwork, who don't like DBZ?
    Layin down enjoying the fun unleashing the power of the sun and capturing them all until I'm done.

Thanks
    EP Points

I agree. I loved Chrono Trigger,I saw all the endings on youtube. I like that you can "choose" what path to take in the game. I was drawn into the game's story and I thought that Lavos was a great villain.

I dont know where, I just woke up, an island maybe?
    Thanks
    EP Points

Chrono triger was defenitly one of the greatist RPG title's in history, Ive yet to get all the ending's, but Im still working on it

Thanks
    EP Points

Wanna talk endings? Star Ocean 2!!!!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Iamerror View Post
    I agree. I loved Chrono Trigger,I saw all the endings on youtube. I like that you can "choose" what path to take in the game. I was drawn into the game's story and I thought that Lavos was a great villain.
    Choose was a great word to choose here. After all you dont HAVE to save Chrono although who don't save him! I'm currently workin on Chrono Cross inching slowly to the 2nd disc.
    Layin down enjoying the fun unleashing the power of the sun and capturing them all until I'm done.

Thanks
    EP Points

IMO retro is PS1 or older.

My favorite one is probably Xenogears.

Some other notable ones that I liked a lot:

Vagrant Story - PS1
    Valkyrie Profile - PS1
    Phantasy Star IV - Genesis
    Chrono Trigger - SNES
    Seiken Densetsu III (Secret of Mana 2) - SNES