Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your faverate retro RPG? and why?

I dont know where, I just woke up, an island maybe?
    Thanks
    EP Points

Default What is your faverate retro RPG? and why?

This thread is to chat about any rpg's between NES-PS2, generation Please provide a breif descripion on why you liked the game's that you post.

My faverate psx rpg is final fantasy 7, I loved it for the graphic's and the detailed battlesystem and especialy the storyline.

I also like phantasy star 2-4 for the sega, I found them to be of a good lenth and difficauly, my personal faverate sega rpg series.

My faverate SNES rpg would have to be chrono trigger as having extra ending's and a few deccison branch's made it very interesting
    Last edited by Leon8200; 2nd-March-2014 at 03:26.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Leon8200 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Lunar Silver Star Story Complete for the Playstation. I know it's linear, but I love that game. I play RPGs for the stories and the characters, and in my opinion, LSSC excels at that. I know the Playstation version isn't the original, but its my favorite version of the game, including the more recent re-releases of it. The more recent releases like the IOS version changed voice actors and changed the songs, which I did not like. I loved the cut scenes, the music, the singing, and even the voice acting of the Playstation version.

Thanks
    EP Points

linear or not, I LOVED lunar eternal blue on the sega-cd, but I never did play, silverstar story,
    I missed my only chance to get it when gamestop still sold it

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm not sure if this is considered an RPG. But a few years ago I would of said Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves(NES)

Now? Probably Ultima: Quest of the Avatar(NES) Or Final Fantasy IX

Is PS2 not considered retro?
    Last edited by revan299s; 2nd-March-2014 at 03:13.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by revan299s View Post
    I'm not sure if this is considered an RPG. But a few years ago I would of said Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves(NES)

Now? Probably Ultima: Quest of the Avatar(NES) Or Final Fantasy IX

Is PS2 not considered retro?
    Glad you asked, and Yes ps2 is retro, I forgot to include it in the thread I'll change it lol.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Leon8200 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Welp retro for me is NES and older so I'll have to go with the first Dragon Warrior.

If Sierra games count of course it would be the KQ3 what with all the spell aspects to it but that would be lumped into the adventure genre but I consider these early ones as rpgs for the fact you take control of a character and roleplay it ya know.

Bleh.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    Welp retro for me is NES and older so I'll have to go with the first Dragon Warrior.

If Sierra games count of course it would be the KQ3 what with all the spell aspects to it but that would be lumped into the adventure genre but I consider these early ones as rpgs for the fact you take control of a character and roleplay it ya know.

Bleh.
    So SNES and Genesis are not retro? lol What would you classify them as?

And that's like saying Myst was an RPG game. Maybe it's just me but, I always thought of an RPG game as a game that has some type of character progression. Whether it be a leveling system, gear, or some other means. I know role-play is in the title but I consider RP an RPG separate.
    Last edited by revan299s; 2nd-March-2014 at 12:13.

Thanks
    EP Points

well since ps2 is retro, i really love shadow hearts. its dark humor and deep story make it my favorite console rpg.
    Last edited by garrendesares; 2nd-March-2014 at 15:00.

Thanks
    EP Points

PS2 is retro now? Holy fuck I feel old.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
    I would say borderline retro, but it's more of a budgetary choice than retro at the moment, like X-Box.

Check my YouTube for gameplay and pickup videos!

Steam|Youtube

Thanks
    EP Points

I was just gonna say this. PS2 came out like yesterday, at least that's what it feels like to me.

Anyway probably Chrono Trigger and Seiken Densetsu 3 on consoles, and the original Baldur's Gate on PC. (we can kinda count the late 90s as somewhat retro now, right?)

Chrono Trigger because I love time travel stories. Seiken Densetsu 3 just blew me away back in the day for having different storylines for the different heroes and overall had an awesome fantasy atmoshpere and great soundtrack by SNES standards. As for Baldur's Gate... hm, pure nostalgia, I'd say.

Thanks
    EP Points

I never did finish shadow heart's, but I loved it for the story and psx stlye graphic's

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Leon8200 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by revan299s View Post
    So SNES and Genesis are not retro? lol What would you classify them as?

And that's like saying Myst was an RPG game. Maybe it's just me but, I always thought of an RPG game as a game that has some type of character progression. Whether it be a leveling system, gear, or some other means. I know role-play is in the title but I consider RP an RPG separate.
    I would place them midway.

Well then I guess op should have said jrpg. And I believe I explained myself above. I'll view an rpg anyway I like.

Also watch your tone with me boy.
    Last edited by Zaladane; 2nd-March-2014 at 21:13. Reason: took the fucking out :wacko:

Thanks
    EP Points

Lufia 2 curse of the sinistrel's was another great SNES RPG, it had an awsome story and the best batlesystem

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

We aren't old, we are experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Englebert3rd View Post
    I would say borderline retro, but it's more of a budgetary choice than retro at the moment, like X-Box.
    PS2 and Xbox are great budget gaming choices. PS2 really only has a handful or two of legitimate rares.

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    I was just gonna say this. PS2 came out like yesterday, at least that's what it feels like to me.

Anyway probably Chrono Trigger and Seiken Densetsu 3 on consoles, and the original Baldur's Gate on PC. (we can kinda count the late 90s as somewhat retro now, right?)

Chrono Trigger because I love time travel stories. Seiken Densetsu 3 just blew me away back in the day for having different storylines for the different heroes and overall had an awesome fantasy atmoshpere and great soundtrack by SNES standards. As for Baldur's Gate... hm, pure nostalgia, I'd say.
    I mean, we were still getting real PS2 game releases as late as 09-10 and sports games were going through last year (after the PS4 was released even, which I find amusing for some reason) so yeah, it's not really retro. It's interesting though because the system came out in 2000 so the early games are right on the fringe of being retro I'd say.

Pre-2000 PC is retro imo. And I think BG, IWD, PST all hold up today as good games. BG EE was junk, mildly disappointed but would have been really disappointed if I had expected big things from it.
    Last edited by Gypsy; 2nd-March-2014 at 23:05.